4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Saleen vs Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 07:15 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I'm not biased just because I don't bend over and worship every Cobra. I'm familiar with cars, and answer questions. if I was biased, I'd say something stupid like get a Roush. (How many times do we see that in this forum... people pushing their own car instead of answering the question.)

Originally Posted by MustangGt40th
And I did notice you said SC but I was comparing base model to base model, as even the N/A version was close to price to a Cobra.

He wasn't asking about the BASE model... go read the 1st post. It spefically said SC.
And why not compare the best to the best? You compared the lowest grade Saleen to a Cobra that didn't really have options. LOL.

And if you knew about the IRS Ford tossed under the Cobra, you'd know it's one of the worst IRS designs (stock) out there. How many threads complain about a broken this or a broken that on an IRS. Good look. If you want to talk open track - a SMART builder will run a modded SRA over a stock IRS. People do all sorts of things because they "think" something or "heard" something. This forum is full of those people.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:20 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by byg_tymr
you guys are great and have given me lots of good opinions and info to think about.

In a perfect world, i'd have an orange '04 Termi. However, as I'm sure most of you know, they're almost impossible to find and if you do, it's going to be about $10K more than other Cobras. I know I'd be happy to have a mid 400hp Saleen(especially if i could find a comp orange one)....until I got walked on by another car.
that right there is your answer. You want the termi and an orange one at that. I think you should be patient and keep looking.

I think settling on a color as opposed to settling for a different car entirely is 2 different things. I think if you got a different color you wouldnt regret getting a Cobra but if you got the saleen, you might regret not holding out.

Try my test....if you are in a saleen and you pull up next to a Cobra, would you be envious and wish that was the car you had?
Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 AM
byg_tymr

Originally Posted by MustangGt40th
Get the best of both worlds..Saleen Cobra! Good luck finding, or affording one though...
Ha, good call...too bad I wouldn't have the money even if I could find one.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:48 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Keep an eye out. With the economy the way it is right now, there are real steals that pop up if you are set to make the jump when you see it.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:26 AM
1fast 99gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
I'm not biased just because I don't bend over and worship every Cobra. I'm familiar with cars, and answer questions. if I was biased, I'd say something stupid like get a Roush. (How many times do we see that in this forum... people pushing their own car instead of answering the question.)

He wasn't asking about the BASE model... go read the 1st post. It spefically said SC.
And why not compare the best to the best? You compared the lowest grade Saleen to a Cobra that didn't really have options. LOL.

And if you knew about the IRS Ford tossed under the Cobra, you'd know it's one of the worst IRS designs (stock) out there. How many threads complain about a broken this or a broken that on an IRS. Good look. If you want to talk open track - a SMART builder will run a modded SRA over a stock IRS. People do all sorts of things because they "think" something or "heard" something. This forum is full of those people.
Its still a 2v and the saleen is slow i have raced a couple when i was 365rwhp and beat them, your better off with the cobra it will be much faster with a pulley and tune then the saleen will be. and trust me that 400 hp will not be enough down the road you will want alittle more but your limited with the saleen.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:31 AM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

How about....

get the COBRA. and put a Saleen body kit on it to make it look like a Saleen...

Couple weeks ago I saw a Cobra with a Saleen body kit on it on Ebay. It looked nice...
Old 06-22-2011, 04:55 PM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush

I was only doing it for the price comparison part. If you want to compare to a SC version, only a true Saleen fanboy with money to blow would buy one of those. A 03 S281 SC was base priced at about $43k not including the brakes and a couple of the other things you mentioned and a 03 Cobra base priced at about $39k with the only options being like paint and in 03 the 10th anniversary package. Thinking about what you get for the money the Cobra wins hands down.

And I have read about the major design flaw of the Cobra IRS. But it must have its advantages and be a pretty decent starting platform for their to be so many ppl that do the IRS swap. If not, there must be a bunch of dumb ppl on this forum, not to mention those on other forums and ones that aren't on any forum.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

cobra > saleen. OP u will be kicking your self once you get used too your 400 rwhp saleen. cobra cobra cobra or buy 2012 GT.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Cobra all the way.... the Saleen is no where near 400 Whp. That's like saying my stock 2v is 300 Whp.

Suspension = cobra
Interior= cobra
Exterior= Saleen ( love the saleens)
power plant= cobra ( built motor t56 or 2v and 3650 tranny hmmm)
Fuelsystem = cobra

Boils down too 2v vs 4v. The Saleen blower sucks worse than the heaton.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
cobra > saleen. OP u will be kicking your self once you get used too your 400 rwhp saleen. cobra cobra cobra or buy 2012 GT.
I AGREE ^^^^^
Best answer in this thread going through all the bs ..this is better than this crap.

2012 Mustang GT !!!

Nice answer Mustang_NTriangle to OP question if he want to buy a Stang
Mach 1 arent bad either which wasn't talked about OP

Last edited by Repzard; 06-22-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Saleen vs Cobra