4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Car is getting slower in 1/4

Old 06-27-2011, 03:03 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by teej281
We took Ian's car to the track last year and he couldnt get traction until 3rd gear man. Street just lights them up, at the track it hopped on street tires. Also, if youre hopping on slicks at the track, you need to adjust your setup. Reading and research does not make my arguement any less credible. I've studied multiple cars, followed progress, and have seen many setups work and not work. Thats like saying I know e=mc^2, but since I am not a physics major and practice with it daily, that its not true. I mean you have results first hand of 3 cars. I've read up and followed at least a dozen or more IRS cobras running slicks at the track. Research is reporting what others have found.

There is plenty of info over on SVTP on slicks versus drag radials and all of the tire and suspension guru's will agree with me that on an IRS car, slicks offer less chance of breakage and harder launches.
Yes but alot of your argument starts with, a drag radial will break a half shaft EVERYTIME, and a slick is fine to run. Granted it MAY yield a less break average but what I'm saying is a slick is by NO MEANS "safe zone" for running an IRS at the track the chance of breaking a half shaft is still high. Internet research is good to a point but has its flaws, yes cars ran on the slicks and made it, but in alot of instances I bet alot of those same people broke on different times at the track which you might not read about on net. The two big issues at hand I see, is 1. Is it gonna break. 2. If it doesn't brake are you running to much tire for a 3.55 geared bolt on 2v. As far as not hooking till 3rd gear, with a 3.55 geared rear end and roughly 260-270rwhp if your spinning that bad even on the street that cannot attest to well to the traction ability of the irs or driver ability to control wheel spin through pedaling, either way somethings up. Unless your dumping the clutch out at 5 grand and just pegging the gas. I just feel like you have alot to learn about the strip young grasshopper. (once again please don't take offense)

Last edited by uberstang1; 06-27-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:10 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Yes but alot of your argument starts with, a drag radial will break a half shaft EVERYTIME, and a slick is fine to run. Granted it MAY yield a less break average but what I'm saying is a slick is by NO MEANS "safe zone" for running an IRS at the track the chance of breaking a half shaft is still high. Internet research is good to a point but has its flaws, yes cars ran on the slicks and made it, but in alot of instances I bet alot of those same people broke on different times at the track which you might not read about on net. The two big issues at hand I see, is 1. Is it gonna break. 2. If it doesn't brake are you running to much tire for a 3.55 geared bolt on 2v. As far as not hooking till 3rd gear, with a 3.55 geared rear end and roughly 260-270rwhp if your spinning that bad even on the street that cannot attest to well to the traction ability of the irs or driver ability to control wheel spin through pedaling, either way somethings up. Unless your dumping the clutch out at 5 grand and just pegging the gas.
I'm not talking about my car...Talking about Ian's whippled cobra making over 600rwhp on street tires. And when I'm running the 28's, it will be with 4.10's or 4.30's, not 3.55's. Running that much tire with 3.55's is just plain stupid! lol Unless youre running high hp and/or a turbo or 2. I rather like accelerating at more than a snail's pace!

Typically also, the damage to the half shafts is not done by the slick itself. The damage is already done by running street tires and crappy rubber or poly bushings and having the car hop like a bunny rabbit.

DSS just needs to man up and make a half shaft with U-jointed half shafts. CV joints just suck.