4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

MODS in California.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 04:24 PM
vargas
2nd Gear Member

Default MODS in California.

Is anyone out in California modding their mustang and still passing smog, Legitly? I wanna make big horsepower but dont know if thats possible and still pass the emissions test. I want to run with the new 5.0's, SRT's, SS's (i know its somewhat like a fanstasy lol considering i have a 97 AND it's a vert.)

I'm talking supercharger/turbochargers, headers, catback, TB, cams...all those goodies.

I'd rather drop grands in a SN95 than buy a new car thats quicker. It would be cheaper and more meaningful.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

NEw car.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

I know kenne bells have 50 state carb legal numbers, I believe vortechs do too, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

^^^you are correct my man.....
Old 06-28-2011, 01:24 AM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

Cams LT headers and a few other things are illegal to run on a car here in cali. One of my friends knows someone who passes smog for me. So I dont have to worry about it. It does however get more exspensive for the smog test though. I think it costs about $180.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:04 AM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

If you want a fast mustang its not going to be legal in cali unless you spend more modifying your car than you would buying a new car thats already fast. Short of spending a few thousand on a supercharger that is 50 state legal the only really legal modifications you have are gears and a catback. There are a few regular bolt ons that are legal in california but none that will really gain you much power. As far as a PI swap I don't know if that is smog legal or not.
My 97 vert ran a 16.2 with catback, orh, plenum a tb and a chip just to give you an idea. And my current 98 coupe with cai and mufflers ran a 15 flat. I know I'm no professional driver by any means but im definitely not a newb either.
These cars are fun to drive don't get me wrong but as far as being smog legal and competitive to newer cars thats a flat out joke.
If I'm out of line then feel free to show me how its done but as far as being smog legal and competitive without spending at least 10 grand i don't see it being possible. If you completely gut your car and drop in some 4.10s or higher that would be a big improvement, but seriously who wants to ruin a car like that?
Old 06-28-2011, 09:01 PM
vargas
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pk222
If you want a fast mustang its not going to be legal in cali unless you spend more modifying your car than you would buying a new car thats already fast. Short of spending a few thousand on a supercharger that is 50 state legal the only really legal modifications you have are gears and a catback. There are a few regular bolt ons that are legal in california but none that will really gain you much power. As far as a PI swap I don't know if that is smog legal or not.
My 97 vert ran a 16.2 with catback, orh, plenum a tb and a chip just to give you an idea. And my current 98 coupe with cai and mufflers ran a 15 flat. I know I'm no professional driver by any means but im definitely not a newb either.
These cars are fun to drive don't get me wrong but as far as being smog legal and competitive to newer cars thats a flat out joke.
If I'm out of line then feel free to show me how its done but as far as being smog legal and competitive without spending at least 10 grand i don't see it being possible. If you completely gut your car and drop in some 4.10s or higher that would be a big improvement, but seriously who wants to ruin a car like that?
Very insightful. Thanks. I should just stop then and keep it as clean as i can till it makes it into the classics. I personally like the curvy body since its the only generation with smooth edges. I'll just enjoy cruising with the top down here in San Diego. Make the best of "your" Mustang right?
Old 06-28-2011, 10:09 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

I'd throw a catback on it, lowering springs, and a 100 shot of the giggle sauce. That way when you want to play with the bigger boys, you can keep up for a lil while. Nice car though!

But if you want to spend big money, youll need to tell us how many thousands you are willing to spend to keep up with these cars all the time.

Turbo, ported heads, built shortblock, Turbo cams, fuel system, etc etc etc.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:39 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

must suck to live in a state that thinks a muffler changes how you emissions system works.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:08 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Cali does suck for modding. You can get a ticket simply if a cop feels the exhaust is too loud. It is then up to you to take the car and pay to show that it is under the legal limit. My friend got a modified exhaust ticket for is bone stock SRT-4. It really depends on the cop. As for parts as long as you stick with 50 state CARB legal parts you will be fine with smog checks. Some mufflers and high flow cats for your year can help along with some gears and you still can supercharger it. I would be careful with nitrous because it is a big fine just to have the system on the car. Bottle there or even closed won't matter. I would do some suspension work and then take some nice drives by the coast.

Quick Reply: MODS in California.