4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Lost all backpressure and low end torque

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 06:11 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottybaccus
OH yea, I remember. Increased exhaust flow can benefit any engine, however too much of an increase will result in a loss of LOW END torque as the torque curve is moved up in the rpm range. Go google any old hotrod magazine, exhaust catalog, tuning advice, How to Build a Small Block whatever, and you will get the same answer.

For a STREET car, too much is sometime really too much. You don't go to school or work at 6500 rpm. You need to build torque at 1500 rpm to leave a red light, unless you like tickets. Our OP here simply overshot his "Happy Place", and yes, opinions vary so your happy place might be somewhere else.
every time you talk i swear i get dumber...

and who reads tech articles on mufflers?! oh yeah trolls...
Old 07-06-2011, 06:14 PM
4.6Gtconv
1st Gear Member

OH yea, I remember. Increased exhaust flow can benefit any engine, however too much of an increase will result in a loss of LOW END torque as the torque curve is moved up in the rpm range. Go google any old hotrod magazine, exhaust catalog, tuning advice, How to Build a Small Block whatever, and you will get the same answer.

For a STREET car, too much is sometime really too much. You don't go to school or work at 6500 rpm. You need to build torque at 1500 rpm to leave a red light, unless you like tickets. Our OP here simply overshot his "Happy Place", and yes, opinions vary so your happy place might be somewhere else.
Your exactly right, im not complaining that i lost power all the way through the rpms, but like you stated im not going to work down the street at 4k, so the little umph that i had at 2500 rpms is gone and it was a little deceiving when i bought the x pipe, all the research i did says.... more flow= less restriction = more power = more torque, i guess i was just to ignorant to know my power band would move up that high.
BUT thanks everyone for all the help.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Very good info scotty that goes back to a lot of arguments on this forum on dif exhaustg threads even on the topic of str8 pipes and sm1 threw I'm well top fuel dragsters etc.. which is a silly argument when compairing to street cars. On a differerent forum though a lot of the points you just made were put out on a diff forum I want name but very good info reps to ya.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:17 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

YES...

This is what I have been trying to tell people for 40 years--decide what sort of peak power band you want and then build/tune for that target. On the street I would gladly pay 25HP peak for 15HP down low where I will actually be using it.

Just because some product says "race" on it does not mean it will help, or even be desirable, on the street--in fact there is a good possibility you'll end up with a car that's a real dog unless you ALWAYS drive it like you just stole it...
Old 07-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
BTW, that was a joke rockwell. Don't take this one seriously like you usually do.
Your rite I usually do and I expect it from members but that's about it from members but that ignore list comes in handy so some responses I can't even see what they say. But I gotcha.