4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Have an idea, just a few questions.. Is it a waste?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:02 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Default Have an idea, just a few questions.. Is it a waste?

So now that I've got decent bolt ons, I'm looking to up the power on a BUDGET. I was cruising through CL and a guy has a shortblock from a 96 thats said to be in decent shape, and for a decent price. So I started looking for some info on pi swaps, and from what I've read you gain a full point of compression, so I was curious. What if I took that shortblock or any non pi shortblock, re did the bearings, and put some stronger rods in it, and put my PI heads on it to bump my compression, and spray a 150 shot. MAY even do a set of cams while the heads are off, but it would take some saving, probably just leave them completely alone for a sleeperish set up. I know TONS of people are going to say fully forged, but, I'm paying for it myself at age 17. So this will give me a little more power NA, strong enough to hold the spray as long as I can stay away from detonation, and I'll have an extra shortblock in perfect shape in case anything happens. Paps says this is mandatory if I want to spray because he's not driving me to work because I blew some chunks all over and had no back up plan. Or is it not worth the work to gain some compression? Should I just stick with a 99-early 01 windsor so I dont have any extra work except swapping the motors, and going through the motor? Will this work, and what all is going to be interchangeable etc? anyone with parts lists or real indepth write up for a PI swap? I've read that the 96-98 motors are non pi romeo motors, so I'd need a 6 bolt flywheel correct? Is this idea plauseable, or just a waste? I'm not looking for all out race, just something strong and reliable, yet something I can say I built, and be proud of. All the work will be done by me and the old man, we've done numerous rebuilds on my old race dirtbikes, and a few old aircooled VW motors, and never had any issues with things coming apart, so I'd really like to give this a shot. Am I being irrational with this idea?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:36 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Im not sure but maybe the nitrous guys can confirm, but I think a 150 shot is to much for the stock rods and pistons.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:13 AM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

the new shortblock will receive new rods, about a 125 shot is really pushing it... pistons should be okay as long as I can stay away from detonation ya?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:21 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

If the tune is spot on you can do a 150 shot, but it's REALLY pushing it. A 100-125 is fine. I've been running a 100 shot for over 3 years now on the stock internals (acts more like a 125 with the power i've gained) and haven't had one single problem.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:40 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Youd be better off just buying some modmax rods & pistons to bump the compression. it could easily hold a 150 shot then
Old 07-13-2011, 01:49 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Problem is the car is my daily, so I'm using the extra shortblock as a time saver, so I can pull the motor on a friday, swap heads and stuff on sat, and get the new motor in on sunday.. I guess I could just bump the compression like boduke said in a regular 99-01 block instead of going through the trouble of PI swapping.. where is the best place to get modmax stuff? I know there are other brands too, I'll look around.. I dont see PI motors for decent deals locally.. and It's mandatory if I want to spray to have an extra shortblock waiting at minimum but he encourages me to buy a full motor and have a long block if im going any sort of forced induction that is, says the old man, which I think is smart. "If you have it you wont need it, if you dont have it you're gonna need it" type of thing. Any other good places to look around besides corral, and CL that you guys have used?
Old 07-13-2011, 02:58 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

svtperformance.com usually has some stuff
Old 07-13-2011, 03:31 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I'll let others give you the advice you desire, but in general, I like the idea. Using an alternate block to cut down the vehicle downtime is a good idea, plus it gives you the backup in case of future catastrophic disaster.

I would avoid saying what the motor could stand by simply refering to shot size. Instead, I would refer to how much total power the motor can stand. If you already have a motor producing 300rwhp thru bolt-ons, you can't use as much spray as a guy with a stock motor making only 230rwhp. With a proper tune, I wouldn't sweat spraying to get a total output in the 380-390rwhp range.

Good luck with this project!
The greatest benefit is likely to be all of the stuff you learn in the process!!! Plus some quality time with your dad
Old 07-13-2011, 07:51 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Thanks True Blue, the time with paps is really what I'm going to enjoy, with me working 35+ hours a week and going to school another 30, we've kind of started the whole going our own ways thing. He had a 72 stang (yea, hes old ) in high school, that he built a 351 cleveland for, had the block honed and decked, did a nice cam, intake mani, electronic ignition, and all the cool stuff for the time, he said it took him just under a year, and he really enjoyed it, he paid for it all in highschool, and built the motor on a milk crate in the back yard.. etc etc, back on topic..

I was only thinking the non pi motor because I have read that stock pistons will hold up as long as detonation does not become an issue, is this true? If it is, than I can get away with new rods, rod bearings, and of course fresh rings.I'd like to find a block thats in good enough shape to stop there, as long as the cylinder walls are clean, theres no end play in the crank etc. Trying to cut down on cost.. but not cut corners... I'd like to get my heads ported and cleaned up, and maybe cams if money allows, so even if my car is down for just over a week, (say a thursday, over the weekend, all week, and than put back together the next weekend), I could just ride a bike to work and school for that period of time. I'd like to make 430ish on the spray at the wheels, I read an article in modded mustangs who did a pi swapped motor, slight porting of the heads, and some comp 274's of the pi version and they pumped out 390hps at the flywheel. and over 350ft lbs of tq from like 2800 rpms all the way up. However they didnt say anything about notched pistons or shaved intake valves, but they noted the cam was .500 lift and that the new pi version of the cam is .550 lift.. I just dont want any worries of blowing chunks on the track, although its a mechanical device and things happen and I understand that. I'm looking at the motor build to be as much fun, as spraying the car and running down the track.. Is there better options out there? Yes, a fully built motor like Lizzy's or 97stangers would be tons of fun, but I read that 97 said he's got like 10 grand in his setup, and I'm just not able to do that, so I'm trying to think of other ways to gain power and not break my tiny bank account.. If I want 600WHP, I'll talk my uncle into us cruising his cobra to the local car show that weekend, but I want something of my own. So what're my best, most efficient options? Is the PI swapped motor a decent idea? or is looking for a cheap PI motor going to be best? I was pricing some rods and pistons out, and the price of the pistons would almost cover the cost of the cams... however, if the pistons are really not going to like that power, new ones will obviously be used.