4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

I want a Fox body...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 12:52 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
What is your reasoning for wanting to keep the miles off your 02? Your to young to have that I don't want to drive it because it might be worth something later mentality. Its only a car drive it till the wheels fall off and enjoy every minute of it while you can. I'm not saying don't buy another car I just think your justification is a little strange.
I'll be honest having more than one car makes driving the Mustang all that more enjoyable. You can drive one car all week and than you look forward to driving the Mustang when you get a chance. Instead of having to drive it when it is your only car
Amen to this. I think thats the main reason I still love my car. After driving a Honda 4 banger all week getting behind the wheel of the stang is just a great feeling!
Old 08-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

^^agreed. I drive my 02 F150 FX4 85% of the time. It's kinda crazy cause I look forward to pulling the stang out on really nice days and the wknds. I figure (living in MO) I have about 2 mths before I have to put her up again for the winter and then the winter project begins!! Also I am also looking for a foxbody and hopefully I'll get mines before teej, lol!! Good luck teej!!

Last edited by Soldier GT; 08-13-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:10 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Well it would be either buying a old beater civic or something or a Fox body and I'd rather stick with the v8 muscle car. I could go with a Turbo 4 cyl fox body too. lol

I would say do it, yeah it may be a little bit more raw as a daily driver but it will make you appreciate your new edge that much more when you do drive it. plus being a foxbody you can daily drive it as it is now and later down the road if you wanted to you could turn it into what ever you wanted. terminator swap, coyote swap, ls1 swap if that was your style, the possibilties are endless.

I love foxbody cars if I could find a decent notch back I would buy one today.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:02 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by BraMas
What is your reasoning for wanting to keep the miles off your 02? Your to young to have that I don't want to drive it because it might be worth something later mentality. Its only a car drive it till the wheels fall off and enjoy every minute of it while you can. I'm not saying don't buy another car I just think your justification is a little strange.
I'll be honest having more than one car makes driving the Mustang all that more enjoyable. You can drive one car all week and than you look forward to driving the Mustang when you get a chance. Instead of having to drive it when it is your only car
Here is my reasoning.

1. Its older so the body probably wont be that great. The 02's body is great and shows well. I'd like to keep it that way. Plus its a convertible and I dont have a cover for it so the top gets all the elements and that damages the brand new top I just bought in june.

2. I've invested a lot into my car with the IRS swap and everything I've put into it, and I'd rather enjoy it occasionally and would rather not have to worry as much about something breaking when parts are more expensive and such. Plus if someone would hit me or something, I'd rather it be in a car other than that car. It does hold sentimental value as it is my first car.

3. I have 18x9/10.5 wheels and go through tires quite fast. And if it didnt look so good with those wheels I'd change them out. But I dont wanna! lol I have winter wheels I just got but I dont want to put it through winters like its been with all the salt and grit on the roads.

I'd like to be able to park it and drive it on nice days and have something else to drive everyday. That way when I get in the 02, its like heaven compared to a raw fox body.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:34 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Save your money. Like you said, you don't drive much anyway. Focus on enjoying college while it lasts and once you are done and working, then you can look for another toy.

Just my .02
Old 08-14-2011, 02:06 AM
darkshadow03gt
2nd Gear Member

I would say do it. Although I wouldn't turbo it. I would just get a decent fox and maybe build a mild engine for it. I do not DD my mustang and I love getting in it every once in awhile to beat up on it. If I drove it everyday I think I would lose interest in it. The fox bodies are awesome cars and like you said repairing them is much cheaper than the new edge. You have a nice car and I understand you wanting to keep it that way. My car isnt half as nice as yours and I'm doing the same thing. People might say DD a fox might be a bad idea but I guess you aren't looking for a more comfortable and economical car. You just want something you can enjoy and not drive a piece. Keep the 02 nice and get yourself a fox!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:47 AM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

I think if you can get a beater car, I would just get it. You may be in college, but hey if you can swing it then go for it. It will give you some peace of mind. I'm not sure about how I feel about the turbo part.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:26 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Regardless, chances are a fox body in the pricerange your probably looking at is not going to be reliable at all
Old 08-14-2011, 10:40 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

what color top did you put on tj?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Regardless, chances are a fox body in the pricerange your probably looking at is not going to be reliable at all
This is what I was going to say. Where I live a fox that would be reliable and not a project you're looking at at least 5-6 grand. I dono the prices in your area but where I live they're only worth pickin up as projects and dumpin some money into them to make them reliable. At the first sign of nice weather I dd my 04 until the winter then the beater comes back out.

Quick Reply: I want a Fox body...