4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

plasti dip

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 06:34 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Default plasti dip

Does this stuff really work? I mean does it look decent, and fairly easy to take off with no damage to the wheel? As some of you know i'm considering painting my bullitts all black like hpwrestler did. I ran across this stuff in an article, and started doing some research. It seemed like it might be a great way for me to get a real feel about doing the rims in all black.

So for any of you that have done this, or have experience with it, please give me your thoughts, opinions, feedback, etc..

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:17 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Never heard of doing that until you posted it, seen a couple of vids on Youtube looks like a pretty neat idea. and it appears to come right off if you don't like it. I think I'm going to do this to all the Chrome crap on my Passat. Thanks for the idea
Old 08-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

My friend did it to his maxima. Looks good from a far, but it seems to get messed up easily. Maybe he didnt prepare it right.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:28 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I had never heard of it until the other day as well. Now that i think about it, i might try it on my stock starfish rims too. The You Tube videos make it look easy to do it right, but i wonder how truly easy it really is lol.

Last edited by mrtstang; 08-28-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:20 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

a guy on svtp did it on his 2011 5.0, it turned out pretty good
Old 08-28-2011, 10:08 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

There are a lot of people doing it over on the mustang collective and having good results with it.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:38 PM
jojo2003
2nd Gear Member

I've done it on a set of starfish rims that we are putting on this weekend, and did the front horse about 3 weeks ago, and I got bored today and did it to my CAI, mainly to see if it would stick and hold up. Pretty neat stuff, especially since it isn't permanent. It gives it a flat black look, but if you want a more shiny rim, just let it cure for about a day and clear coat it. And then if you don't like them black, take it off. Roughly $20 for a set of rims. As far as durability, I can't say on rims, but on the horse I have pressure washed it and scrubbed a little and it still looks good. Most of the people that I know who have done it, has said it holds up pretty good to normal driving.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:33 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Can someone link to an article on this sounds interesting.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:34 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jojo2003
I've done it on a set of starfish rims that we are putting on this weekend, and did the front horse about 3 weeks ago, and I got bored today and did it to my CAI, mainly to see if it would stick and hold up. Pretty neat stuff, especially since it isn't permanent. It gives it a flat black look, but if you want a more shiny rim, just let it cure for about a day and clear coat it. And then if you don't like them black, take it off. Roughly $20 for a set of rims. As far as durability, I can't say on rims, but on the horse I have pressure washed it and scrubbed a little and it still looks good. Most of the people that I know who have done it, has said it holds up pretty good to normal driving.
Great info, thanks! So can basically can anyone do it, and not have it look like crap? You know what i mean? I mean is it a fairly straight forward process that just about anyone can do with good results? The videos i've seen make it look easy, but i have to wonder if there's a little more to it. The clips i saw, they just spray it on and it came out nice and even.

Here's a link to the site for those who are not familiar with it. There's also several clips on You Tube as well.

http://www.plastidip.com/
Old 08-29-2011, 11:16 AM
jojo2003
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, it is super easy, and best of all, if you mess up it's not hard to restart. Here is a link for what a s197 guy did his rims.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ur-wheels.html

Quick Reply: plasti dip