4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Advantages/ Disadvantages of IRS..

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:16 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Depends on what you want out of it. Stock SRA vs stock IRS, the IRS will ride nicer for you. Ford's IRS isn't the best design for one. If you are thinking of performance handling, I'd go with a properly built 5 link from Steeda instead. After looking into it for myself, the 5 link will out perform the IRS swap.
Maximum Motorsports torque arm is better than the 5 link all day IMO. IRS FTW though.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by sn95_331_GT_ yellow
my car will be getting IRS for the simple reason that a proper ROAD RACE IRS will be a lot lighter than the equivalent SRA combo

my car will be going up against C6 vettes, and a bunch of Ferrari's, BMW's, and S2000's at the open track days i go to, and i need my car to be as light as possible, since im only working with ~300rwhp

one day ill have the front setup as Jazzer and ill be uber happy!!!!!!!!
I am sorry to say that your car will be HEAVIER with an IRS It will have less "sprung weight" but not less weight overall.

BTW... my car will handle every bit as well as a Corvette, and better in a lot of cases, depending on the spring/shock set-up, as there are LOTS of different models out there. Not picking on you, sn95_331_GT_ yellow, but the consensus seems to be that an IRS in the Mustang is automatically a better handling suspension. The fastest open track Mustangs on the planet have no issues running a stick-axle.

There are certainly advantages to running the IRS, and many have found at least one or two that work for him/her and is great. I am not here to bash the IRS, just help to ensure that the SRA not get thrown under the bus as some old school, antiquated and behind the times suspension that cannot compete on the AX or open-track

Jazzer
Old 09-11-2011, 10:00 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
You pepes can talk about ride quality and that is great (honestly!), but I will put my car with an SRA up against ANY IRS Mustang and will have no issues competing with it on an open-track environment. My ONLY downside at the moment is HP and have plans in the making currently.

Let's not get carried away here pepes

You have spent TONS of money on your SRA making it into a quality car... I have spent....ZERO.... making my car get to the point of a basic TA/PHB set up'ed SRA...Your car BETTER be able to whoop some *** on a track lol.

on a lighter note..

For the general enthusiast, you cant beat a swap for the rear end...if and only if you do some kind of trade. If your buying an IRS outright, there really is no cost savings there. An SRA with a TA and watts link or PHB will launch a hell of a lot better and...not break lol. The only downside is the ride.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ agreed
Old 09-11-2011, 04:27 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

I am sorry to say that your car will be HEAVIER with an IRS It will have less "sprung weight" but not less weight overall.

BTW... my car will handle every bit as well as a Corvette, and better in a lot of cases, depending on the spring/shock set-up, as there are LOTS of different models out there. Not picking on you, sn95_331_GT_ yellow, but the consensus seems to be that an IRS in the Mustang is automatically a better handling suspension. The fastest open track Mustangs on the planet have no issues running a stick-axle.

There are certainly advantages to running the IRS, and many have found at least one or two that work for him/her and is great. I am not here to bash the IRS, just help to ensure that the SRA not get thrown under the bus as some old school, antiquated and behind the times suspension that cannot compete on the AX or open-track

Jazzer
not saying itll be the end all setup, but it will be nice than the stock one i have now, and i just like the idea of being a little bit different honestly

i know an SRA can rock but its just not my cup of tea right now
Old 09-11-2011, 05:21 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

i wonder what the actual weight difference between a fully build SRA with torque arm and watts link and a built IRS actually is.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:40 PM
zinsavage123
1st Gear Member

is the 31spline/cobra rear conversion in our gt's considered IRS??
Old 09-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ Good question....

The SRA will pick up some weight for sure, as the UCA's are the only thing removed and certainly don't weigh nearly as much as a PHB or WL with TA.

The one big thing of which I don't know, in regards to the IRS, would be the RC. My guess is it would be the center of the pumpkin, as it is stationary. Interesting thread, to be sure

Jazzer
Old 09-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by zinsavage123
is the 31spline/cobra rear conversion in our gt's considered IRS??

If you put a '99~'04 Cobra rear-end in your car, it is most certainly IRS
Old 09-11-2011, 06:18 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

^ Good question....

The SRA will pick up some weight for sure, as the UCA's are the only thing removed and certainly don't weigh nearly as much as a PHB or WL with TA.

The one big thing of which I don't know, in regards to the IRS, would be the RC. My guess is it would be the center of the pumpkin, as it is stationary. Interesting thread, to be sure

Jazzer

edit:
looks quite low from this
post #14 for lower 1"IRS (.98")
post #23 for stock height IRS (2.39")
http://forums.corral.net/forums/road...live-axle.html

Last edited by stangalator; 09-11-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Advantages/ Disadvantages of IRS..