4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Dream Corvette on sale 3 blocks from my house

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 12:14 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tommy079
I took it out for a drive. It's got alot of power and is pretty fun to drive. I haven't looked for rust yet because I was in a rush to get the car back (I had to pick the kids up from school). The interior is in rough shape. And it wouldn't hurt to have some paint fixed.

I mean...I'm just on the fence. It's worth about what they're asking. Now I found one for the heck of it in Indiana for $7,999 in Indiana that is essentially the same car except it's an automatic, and it only has 80,000 miles.

With new seats, a console, and some interior upgrades it could look nice inside. Less than $1,000.

I know a guy who does paint and am gonna get a feel for his work by having him do some custom work on my mustang. I think he may do a full spray and clear coat cheap. I'm hoping around $1,000 something.

What do you guys think? It's way cheap. $170 something a month and $26 for liabiltiy or $105 for full coverage. And that's it. And I just found out today that I got a teaching job (which I've been going to school 6 years for now)

I have a feeling if I hold out I can get exactly what I want in much nicer condition. And I think with the way the drivers seat is set up and so tight that I'd rather have an automatic.
Where in indy just out of curiosity? If it's close to where I live, I could go check it out for you and get you pics of the trouble areas or something if you want... Just let me know.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

hey Tommy, If you like the Corvette and can afford it,why not.
But I will tell you one thing Corvettes suck ,Hope you know im kidding Great cars for a GM

I own a Corvette myself but its a C4 40th ann.
Never really cared for the C3 "slow Vettes unless it was a BB" but I would love a 63 Split Someday .

I say DO IT !!! and SAVE THE WAVE !!!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:38 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by black2010
Check out corvetteforum.com to learn more about the car and possibly get someone local to come check it out with you. I had an 81 vette and currently have an 85 to go along with my mustangs. They are fun cars to drive but you can get into it deep if you buy the wrong car as their is, what I like to call, a "Corvette" tax.

$7K is not bad if it's in realitvely good condition but keep in mind the odomiter only goes to 99,999.99 on those cars so it could easily be 230K. Check it very carefully for rust as that body style has a lot of issues with it. Check the body mounts, frame under the side or the cars and the birdcage (framing around the windshield). These are the main areas of bad rust. Next check the weather stripping on the whole car and pay extra attention to the t-tops as they are notorious for leaking which is why the birdcage rust so much on them ;-)Check it for previous body damage as those cars are very hard to put back together right once wrecked since the whole front end and rear are one piece. Cheap body work will look cheap and cause more problems for you. Take it for a long test drive and check it for the same things as a mustang.

Keep in mind that the 4-speed cars and ones with the L-82 are more valuable even though the L-45's produce basically the same power (both are pretty slow stock).

Here are a few I found for you to give you an idea on what can be had for close to that. take not their isn't much difference in price to get a lot nicer car in these 3. The first link is what you want if you can afford it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3s-...-corvette.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3s-...82-7500-a.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3s-...s-10000-a.html

All in all they are no different than mustangs but just have differnt things to look for. Best of luck with the car and I hope it's one of the good ones.
Black,

Your reply was awesome, and extremely helpful and informative. I think what I learned is that if I just hold out and allow myself to be willing to spend an extra 2-3,000 that I can get a MUCH nicer corvette. And to be honest I've really always like the 73 the best, and the power of the 71. So I think I'm going to wait and get the real "dream" car and not this fixer upper.

Last edited by Tommy079; 09-10-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:26 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Good call on holding out for the real "dream car." Now that you know what you want, and how close you were to getting one, start setting some money aside so taking out a car loan doesn't hurt as bad.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Where in indy just out of curiosity? If it's close to where I live, I could go check it out for you and get you pics of the trouble areas or something if you want... Just let me know.
That is a seriously nice and cool offer. It's at a big corvette sales place called J&S or something like that. I'll go look it up...

It's in Farimont Indiana. If you live close I think you may like to go there just to have a fun day of looking at corvettes, but please don't make more than a half hour drive on my account.

Here is the website:

http://www.jsmotors.com/

I am really interested in any 70's stingray-type body style yellow (not canary yellow) and black interior corvette under $10,000.

Last edited by Tommy079; 09-10-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:34 AM
arabianobsession
2nd Gear Member

I agree. Nothing better than owning your dream car outright, instead of having to shell out for a payment every month.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
Good call on holding out for the real "dream car." Now that you know what you want, and how close you were to getting one, start setting some money aside so taking out a car loan doesn't hurt as bad.
Good call, and thanks for the vote of confidence.

The rough thing about these cars is that they bottom out in value around $6,000. So for that price you can get a good project car, but with alot of work in store.

But the cool thing is that you can get a nice stock one in very decent shape bottoming out around $10,000. So in that $4,000 gap there is a range of car conditions that ranges from body pieces and paint coming off to practically cherry.

Then you get these special edition models with the right engine, year/model, and body style and they are going for upwards of $30,000-$70,000 and more (I will never buy that car). There is a $10,000 corvette waiting for me somewhere in this country and I will go searching for it after the Mustang is paid off and the super charger (maybe twin turbos ) is installed.

Last edited by Tommy079; 09-10-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:32 AM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

The question was asked, what about those "other vettes" another person mentioned...

Well, for starters..small block C3 vettes, mid 70's to the end in 81, were..well, weak. 350 engines, around 200hp, they had real fiberglass panels that had no give at all, A/C is weak, if it even works, cooling is a problem..and of course..it has a carburetor. The brakes were good but count on replacing all 4 calipers.

The C5's, 97-04, are better by leaps and bounds. Gone was all the vacuum hoses and actuators, in with electric cooling fans. The Aluminum LS1 engine, Sequential Multi-Port fuel injection, OBD2 computer onboard, Traction control, Transmission is in the back of the car for better weight distribution. Alloy wheels, ABS, comfortable seats and easyto use controls. Plus...they were pretty fkin fast..350hp/350/tq for the slowest, base C5..and the Z06 trim got you a bump to 375 for the earlier years, and 405hp from like 01-04 models. The accelerate, carve corners, stop on a dime...and there is a TON of aftermarket out there.

3 optional bodys. Coupe(removable targa top), Convertible, and FRC (Fixed Roof Coupe).

Also keep in mind...C3's have NO TRUNK...at all, just a tiny little cubby hole you can access behind the seats from inside.

Drive a C5..any C5...even with 200K on it...
Old 09-11-2011, 04:42 AM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

FRC = love

that is the BEST looking vette out there IMO

i also love the 1st gen Viper GTS's (96-02), i kinda have a soft spot for rounder bodies, they just look sexier to me
Old 09-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Hmm...I may need to take my time and reconsider this. The earlier 70's vette's before Chevy started bowing to new emission laws were pretty strong though. My favorite body style/power is the '70. The base model 5.7 put down 300hp and the L46 around 350. They offered some with a 454 too I believe.

But maybe I need to reconsider comfort/quality verses just my favorite body style.

Quick Reply: Dream Corvette on sale 3 blocks from my house