4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Anybody Running Strange 10-Ways daily? && Update on Progress for My Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:43 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
I had them...never again. They are a racing damper, not a street damper and they make a lot of noise and add no ride comfort at any of their settings.

With that said, it varied for me where I had them set. I usually had them set on their lightest setting. But like I said, it offered no additional ride quality and it actually seemed very loose to me. Tightened them up to 5/5 and they stiffened up and still had the loose feeling. Then I found an OK spot at like 7/7. If you run them stiff in the rear, you may experience wheel hop. I know I did. I got rid of them and went with an IRS. If I had kept the SRA it would have been getting bilsteins for sure. Have them on my car now and they are wonderful! Worth the extra money spent. Unless youre racing all the time, I would not suggest adjustable dampers.

Just my .02 from my experience.

+1, mine were noisy as hell so I ditched them
Old 09-13-2011, 10:00 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jtb727
Where are some good places to look for suspension stuff? I know AM, UPR, and summit have been where I'm doing most of my looking as far as price wise.
Yep, swing by uprproducts.com. We offer MF forum members a 10% discount on UPR parts.

http://www.uprproducts.com/
Old 09-14-2011, 05:30 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Sharad can you PM a quote on 10 ways for my car front and back, I post alot here AND spend a huge chuck of cash at UPR.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:57 AM
IEGT1015
3rd Gear Member

I had them and I hated them. +100000 for being noisy
Old 09-14-2011, 07:54 AM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

Have you tried Late Model Restoration? Or Lethal may have.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:15 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by jtb727
Yeah, I see what your sayin about the Bilsteins, I'd love them, I know they are the top notch goods, but like you said they are not for everyone for a variety of reasons. I'm slammed, and have read the Koni STR.Ts are not that great for slammed setups ( H&R SS's and no front iso's.) and I was reading around and people stated they liked the adjustables so they can kind of over come there super stiff springs.

Where are some good places to look for suspension stuff? I know AM, UPR, and summit have been where I'm doing most of my looking as far as price wise.
If you think that stranges are going to work well for you in a slammed stance, you are sadly mistaken. I had Eibach pro-kit springs in with all my iso's and they sucked really bad. They were terrible for ride, handling, body control(of roll that is), they were just terrible. For me personally, I'd look into the Tokico illumina's for street dampers that are more drag oriented and offer the adjustibility. But you said earlier that you hear good things about adjustables...and they may be true if you look at the high end adjustables. Koni's are great, and the Tokico's arent terrible either. But you will pay more for them as they are adjustable.

Good luck. Good places to look for suspension other than the ones listed are Steeda, Maximum Motorsports, and i think there is a site called Stang Suspensions or something that has lots of Mustang related suspension parts.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:55 AM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

I've read a few places that people liked them and they handled the slammed stance well.. but now all you guys are saying much different. Has anybody here use the STR.T's on a slammed car? or what else is there, I know some people like the tokico blues, but I hear they are not much better than stock. How do the bilsteins hold up being on a slammed car? I'm not against spending money, but I'm kind of in a mode where time is important, I need to pull my CC plates to switch the orientation so they can get my camber to a decent level, and as of right now, its eating the inside of my tires pretty badly, but to swap orientations I've gotta undo the strut from the top, so I'f im gonna spend the hour or 2 to move orientations I want tospend the extra half hour, to swap struts. Not to mention, the tops of my stock struts are pretty chewed up from the first time, and if I have to be in there 3 times, it will be a major PITA.. im worried about twice as it is, to be honest.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:56 AM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

I'm not opposed to non adjustables either I guess, I just figured and heard it would really help over come the new lowering springs quite a bit.. for strip instances
Old 09-14-2011, 12:17 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

My car is slammed on coilovers with the bilstein hd's. Probably lower than SS's. I need to take some pics and videos of my car since I changed the ride height and exhaust. I'm not saying that you buy bilsteins. But I am saying there are better dampers than they.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:34 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Sharad can you PM a quote on 10 ways for my car front and back, I post alot here AND spend a huge chuck of cash at UPR.
PM sent. Thank you for choosing UPR Products!!

Originally Posted by IEGT1015
I had them and I hated them. +100000 for being noisy
You know, I'm not calling you a liar. Actually, it's weird because you are not the only person I've had tell me that the Strange 10-ways are noisy. I just wonder if it's the whole internet thing. So and so said that so and so said that so and so said that his Strange 10-ways were noisy... and it gets repeated over and over.

All I can tell you is what I have personally experienced. About four years ago, my daily driver was an 04 GT with Strange 10-ways and Eibach Pro Kit springs. That car was nice, tight, and quiet, and it handled VERY well. So my personal experience contradicts your experience. I can't explain what happened on your car. I would ask if it could have been a problem related to the installation, but it's kinda hard to install struts and shocks incorrectly. I really don't know what it could've been. I just know that there are PLENTY of people out there that have had ZERO problems out of their Strange 10-ways.

Originally Posted by teej281
If you think that stranges are going to work well for you in a slammed stance, you are sadly mistaken. I had Eibach pro-kit springs in with all my iso's and they sucked really bad. They were terrible for ride, handling, body control(of roll that is), they were just terrible.
Again, my personal experience completely contradicts what you are saying. I have no explanation for that.

Quick Reply: Anybody Running Strange 10-Ways daily? && Update on Progress for My Car