4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Anybody Running Strange 10-Ways daily? && Update on Progress for My Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 07:04 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Default Anybody Running Strange 10-Ways daily? && Update on Progress for My Car

If so, what're your settings for the daily cruise? I'm going to be ordering some in the ladder part of this week, and just curious as to what you guys are finding that work well for you.

The mod bug has bit me hard, and the weather is coming around for me to start gettin my parts that I've acquired over summer into action. Got my Trans cooler from 97 Stanger, got an HD2, lowered it a few weeks ago, but have my CC plates in the wrong orientation to get to factory specs, so when I go to fix them, I'm gonna just do my shocks and struts at the same time. Got my family to pitch in for my B-day to pay for half of my LT's and H pipe combo. (I'll be 18 this year fellas!) and I'm hoping to be spraying by Christmas. Just figured I'd give everyone an update as to how things are coming along for my pony car.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:34 PM
sonicx
speed'n

What's your driving conditions like? That'll have to be taken into account.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:19 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jtb727
If so, what're your settings for the daily cruise? I'm going to be ordering some in the ladder part of this week, and just curious as to what you guys are finding that work well for you.

Not to oversimplify things, but 5F/5R is a decent setup for street driving. (I frequently ran mine stiffer than that)

We carry the Strange 10-ways at UPR Products and we offer MF members a discount. If you give us a call at 561.588.6630 we'll do our best to give you the lowest price on them.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:29 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Mine are set at I think 9 in the front and either 5 or 6 in the rear....now I don't remember if 1 is stiff and 10 is 'big car ride' but my front end does lift a little more compared to the stock struts when going WOT.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:46 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I had them...never again. They are a racing damper, not a street damper and they make a lot of noise and add no ride comfort at any of their settings.

With that said, it varied for me where I had them set. I usually had them set on their lightest setting. But like I said, it offered no additional ride quality and it actually seemed very loose to me. Tightened them up to 5/5 and they stiffened up and still had the loose feeling. Then I found an OK spot at like 7/7. If you run them stiff in the rear, you may experience wheel hop. I know I did. I got rid of them and went with an IRS. If I had kept the SRA it would have been getting bilsteins for sure. Have them on my car now and they are wonderful! Worth the extra money spent. Unless youre racing all the time, I would not suggest adjustable dampers.

Just my .02 from my experience.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:56 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Hhmm.. I usually agree with you Teej, but I've read alot of people like them, and than a few like you... The car is going to see quite a bit of strip time now that its strip season out here, and my daily drive is 4 miles to work, than 1 mile trip to work, and than a 5 mile trip home, as they all 3 are on the exact same road and it is a straight shot. I'm not too worried about noise, as I've always got the stereo on, and windows down, cruisin. ESPECIALLY now that its mid 70's on my way to work at 3 AM.

I'll keep doing some research, I know everyone likes the bilsteins, but they are big $$
Old 09-13-2011, 04:58 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Teej, loose as in, just too soft, yet really harsh? or like you could feel things moving around too much? ie, rearend, or greater than stock body roll?
Old 09-13-2011, 05:42 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

I run a set of them on our fox and while it is far from a D/D. more of just a weekend cruiser / race car and it was the best money I ever spent for the track. I run mine in 3 for the track and like 8 on the street in the front they work great. I don't hear any noise coming from them but our car does make some creaks and groan sounds any way due to the rear upper arms and running a full spool on the street any way.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:52 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Hhmm.. I usually agree with you Teej, but I've read alot of people like them, and than a few like you... The car is going to see quite a bit of strip time now that its strip season out here, and my daily drive is 4 miles to work, than 1 mile trip to work, and than a 5 mile trip home, as they all 3 are on the exact same road and it is a straight shot. I'm not too worried about noise, as I've always got the stereo on, and windows down, cruisin. ESPECIALLY now that its mid 70's on my way to work at 3 AM.

I'll keep doing some research, I know everyone likes the bilsteins, but they are big $$
Well the Bilsteins I gave in my example of what I'm running was just an example. I didnt mean it to tell you to go buy them. I realize that they are not for everyone. But I would suggest something along the lines of the Koni STR.t or whatever their entry level dampers are. They would probably work well for you.

Teej, loose as in, just too soft, yet really harsh? or like you could feel things moving around too much? ie, rearend, or greater than stock body roll?
As far as loose goes, with everything tightened up, it sounded like everything was loose. Like metal/metal clunking and just overall noisy. No real advancement as far as body roll or any handling characteristics. They were just not a DD quality damper IMHO! They might be good for racing, in which case I know that many people have great success with them. But for a street car that sees the track, just not what I would go with.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:18 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I see what your sayin about the Bilsteins, I'd love them, I know they are the top notch goods, but like you said they are not for everyone for a variety of reasons. I'm slammed, and have read the Koni STR.Ts are not that great for slammed setups ( H&R SS's and no front iso's.) and I was reading around and people stated they liked the adjustables so they can kind of over come there super stiff springs.

Where are some good places to look for suspension stuff? I know AM, UPR, and summit have been where I'm doing most of my looking as far as price wise.

Quick Reply: Anybody Running Strange 10-Ways daily? && Update on Progress for My Car