4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Got a list of parts here...tell me what you would add/take out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 06:42 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by teej281
I didn't know you had first hand experience with fuel systems in your car...

OP, I can suggest going over to SVTP where a lot more guys are making serious power with their cars and researching and asking questions over there to the guys that have the setups you are asking about and learning and seeing what pump setups work and what you might be able to figure out from there. We have very few people on here that have cars that make excess of 500rwhp, and likewise might not have the information that you seek. Another good place to look is Modded Mustangs. They have a lot of members with built GT's that might be able to point you in the right direction as well.
I don't have first hand experience but the info I have found was from others who are making a lot of power. I've researched, asked questions, searched around some more, asked more questions to people who have gone return style and based on what I found people tend to run very similar setups. I guess you'd be surprised how many people run Walbro, Bosch and Aeromotive products. The info I listed above was a recommendation as that is what the OP asked for.

So before you make another post like that again make sure you don't do the same thing to other people. I've seen you many times and not just on this forum recommend products you have no experience with including this very topic.

If the OP does his own researching he'll find the setup I listed above is a very popular, cost effective way to setup his fuel for high hp.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:21 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

All i have to say is stay away from walbro they have the worst rep of any pump out there. I have them in my car and plan on pulling them out as soon as possible due to the failure rate.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:02 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Im definately going to do some researching to figure this out. Because i don't want to spend money that i don't need and want to have a reliable system that will hold me over no matter how much hp i want to run.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:35 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
I don't have first hand experience but the info I have found was from others who are making a lot of power. I've researched, asked questions, searched around some more, asked more questions to people who have gone return style and based on what I found people tend to run very similar setups. I guess you'd be surprised how many people run Walbro, Bosch and Aeromotive products. The info I listed above was a recommendation as that is what the OP asked for.

So before you make another post like that again make sure you don't do the same thing to other people. I've seen you many times and not just on this forum recommend products you have no experience with including this very topic.

If the OP does his own researching he'll find the setup I listed above is a very popular, cost effective way to setup his fuel for high hp.
Well I know I've done it...and got called out on it. So why is it ok for me not to do it and others to? You've called me out on it before. Everything I've suggested I've done the same kind of searching and researching on and asked questions and learned from what other people have said. But usually people end up saying that my points are not valid because they are not first hand.

Just sayin'.

And as far as what I've found and what I would plan to use if I were to build my system, I would definitely go return. But which way I would go is up in the air. The two setups I'd consider are the following:

1. Fore hat with twin/triple(depending on setup and fuel used) Aeromotive stealth pumps, -10an feed, -8an return, Fore regulator, and Fore rails. Fore has some of the best products on the market for the New Edge's fuel system. And before anyone says " They're out of business" they are not. The parts are being made again by the original designer under the company Fore Innovation.

2. Sumped tank(Whether its the glenns sleeper tank or an external sump), Magnafuel inline pump(4302 or 4301 are the model numbers of the inline pumps I'd choose), -8an feed, -6an return, Fore regulator and rails. Filters run pre/post pump as well on this setup.

So just as wannabe has done, this is from my findings and research to be the setups I'd consider for considerable power.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:09 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

So i don't need to get a sumped tank? I RARELY get my car below 1/4 tank...is it just a "better safe then sorry" kind of thing?
Old 09-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangmancp
So i don't need to get a sumped tank? I RARELY get my car below 1/4 tank...is it just a "better safe then sorry" kind of thing?
just buy a sump and weld it in, like $75 total spent after buying the sump and covering the price to have it welded in if you cant do it yourself.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:27 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

With the fore hats, you do not use a dumped tank. That's only for external fuel pumps. You don't have a sump for your stock fuel hay do you? It would help to have an 03 cobra tank due to the baffling system to keep fuel at the hat and not starve the engine of fuel and get a lean condition and blow it up. That's why a sumped tank is beneficial in racing conditions as usually you're not going to run into starvation issues.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:21 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by mustangmancp
You can modify the stock GT tank to have a baffle design. Most guys drill 2-5 holes (some guys do 2 larger holes, some do 2 large and 2-3 smaller one and so on and so forth) in the stock tank right above where the sump is. That way when you get low on fuel the holes you drilled keep the fuel from splashing out of the sump, which your pumps will appreciate.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:19 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Holes in what? the baffles inside the tank?? Ive never looked inside a fuel tank for our cars..
Old 09-15-2011, 10:47 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

If you sumped the stock tank you would need to drill holes right above where the sump would sit. That way fuel will collect in the sump and stay there when fuel gets low. The holes allow fuel to collect at the sump and the areas that aren't drilled out will keep the fuel in the sump, which is what you want. There are write ups with pictures that you could find from a quick google search. That way you would understand what I'm talking about. It's not difficult to do at all. Most guys over on Corral run their tanks like that as it saves you like $300 to do it yourself. Then they spray paint the tank to make it look good.

Last edited by WannaBeGearHead; 09-15-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Got a list of parts here...tell me what you would add/take out?