4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Please advise before I buy. Thx

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:40 PM
The Beep

Default Please advise before I buy. Thx

If I'm in the wrong section, please accept 1000 apologies.

I'm in the middle of purchasing this 03 GT vert. I would be the 3rd owner. It has 22k and is literally in showroom condition. There's not even a wrinkle in the leather. It's navy/tan and appears to have every option. See pic below.

They had it listed at $16k and I talked them down to $15k and that's as far as they'll go. It will be my weekend car and will be putting about 5k miles a year.

My concerns are am I paying too much? Also, it doesn't seem to have much punch off the line but wakes up at higher rpms. It's an automatic. Is there a fix for that?

Also, should I get the extended warranty? Another $1700 for the premium option.

I know you guy's are the bomb. Thank's for you'r input.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:51 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Gears and a tune would wake it up quite a bit, but to me 15k is pretty pricey, you could definately get a mach 1 for that price with similar or just a tad higher miles, which has a better motor, and is rare compared to the GTs, the mach will also hold its value much better especially sense it would be only a weekend cruiser, thats what I would look for if I was going to drop that kind of coin. You can even find the 05+ in that range with low miles if thats your thing. 15k is a lot of money in my opinion. But if its what makes YOU the owner, driver, washer etc. happy, I dont think it can really have a "price" ya know?
Old 09-18-2011, 08:57 PM
98mustangkidd
1st Gear Member

good looks man! it looks like a very clean car and from what i see on http://www.kbb.com/ford/mustang/2003...icetype=retail your getting an alright deal on it..

with the off the line part of it, there is a way that you can change that. Gears will make a big difference but you would need to get a tuner. this will straighten up shift points and give you some extra ponys too. Good Luck!
Old 09-18-2011, 09:01 PM
The Beep

Originally Posted by jtb727
Gears and a tune would wake it up quite a bit, but to me 15k is pretty pricey, you could definately get a mach 1 for that price with similar or just a tad higher miles, which has a better motor, and is rare compared to the GTs, the mach will also hold its value much better especially sense it would be only a weekend cruiser, thats what I would look for if I was going to drop that kind of coin. You can even find the 05+ in that range with low miles if thats your thing. 15k is a lot of money in my opinion. But if its what makes YOU the owner, driver, washer etc. happy, I dont think it can really have a "price" ya know?
I've rented a number of the new ones and don't care for the seat belts in them.

What do you think a good price is for this car from a dealer? There was another similar car down the road with 18k that was selling for the same price but it had stripes on the hood.

I presume you were referring to diff gears? Going higher? And is there a proformace chip that actually works in these?
Thx
Old 09-18-2011, 09:07 PM
The Beep

Originally Posted by 98mustangkidd
good looks man! it looks like a very clean car and from what i see on http://www.kbb.com/ford/mustang/2003...icetype=retail your getting an alright deal on it..

with the off the line part of it, there is a way that you can change that. Gears will make a big difference but you would need to get a tuner. this will straighten up shift points and give you some extra ponys too. Good Luck!
I corrected the options on your link. It seems to be ok with kbb http://www.kbb.com/ford/mustang/2003...icetype=retail
Old 09-18-2011, 09:07 PM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't buy it. Just save a couple more thousand and buy a cobra with 50K miles on it or so. Much better performance for the price compared to that GT.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:32 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

to be honest i couldnt see myself buying a new edge gt for 15k
Old 09-18-2011, 09:51 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

$15000 is WAY TOO MUCH. Tell them GLWS and start looking elsewhere.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:26 PM
The Beep

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
$15000 is WAY TOO MUCH. Tell them GLWS and start looking elsewhere.
This one is a couple thousand less but it has 20k more miles and by the pictures, doesn't look as good. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb
Old 09-19-2011, 09:10 AM
The Beep

I'm really trying here. I found a Seleen and a Cobra in the price range but they both had salvage titles and more miles. There are others around $10-12k that are decent but they're either 6cyl or coupes.

I wish this car was a couple g less but where can I find one?

Quick Reply: Please advise before I buy. Thx