4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Looking for Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 12:35 AM
4.6Gtconv
1st Gear Member

Default Looking for Lowering Springs

Well i have a 2002 mustang gt vert, Im looking to lower it. I seem to be running into problems... because it seems the convertible springs are less of a drop in the aftermarket springs ? why is this ?. Im looking for roughly a 2 inch drop. Also would I need CC plates right away ? O ya im on 17x9.5

Example of Ride height im looking for below

Old 09-19-2011, 07:17 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

The ones that give the biggest drop that i know of are the Eibach Sportlines.

No you won't need c&c plates right away, but with that kind of drop your tires will probably wear rather quick.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

The only proper way to drop your car that much is with coilovers.Coilovers are to exspensive to just be starting out with.
Also, with that large of a drop, your shocks will have a tendency to wear out quicker. Meaning that youd need to upgrade them sooner then what youd probably like to.
Id suggest some h&r springs that has about a 1.5" drop. They have a good spring rate and you will very seldom bottom out.
Ive only heard bad things about the sportlines. Theyre spring rates are really low especially for how low it makes the car. Youd bottom out constantly. Also, since the spring rate is so low, youd be bouncing around going into turns.

Last edited by Bpohlman13; 09-19-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Strange Agent
1st Gear Member

I would recommend the H&R Super Sports. They're a little softer than the H&R Race springs, and the design is progressive rather than standard. They go lower (estimated) than the Eibach Sportlines, and the spring rate is a lot higher, which I would recommend for a progressive spring.

H&R Super Sports are supposed to lower the front 1.75in. and the rear 1.6in. If you go much lower than that you're probably going to want coilovers.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:11 PM
4.6Gtconv
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Strange Agent
I would recommend the H&R Super Sports. They're a little softer than the H&R Race springs, and the design is progressive rather than standard. They go lower (estimated) than the Eibach Sportlines, and the spring rate is a lot higher, which I would recommend for a progressive spring.

H&R Super Sports are supposed to lower the front 1.75in. and the rear 1.6in. If you go much lower than that you're probably going to want coilovers.
The link you gave me is for a coupe. Is there springs for a convertible ?
Old 09-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Strange Agent
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4.6Gtconv
The link you gave me is for a coupe. Is there springs for a convertible ?
Yes.

My apologies. Out of curiosity, why are the springs different for the convertible?
Old 09-19-2011, 03:32 PM
4.6Gtconv
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Strange Agent
Yes.

My apologies. Out of curiosity, why are the springs different for the convertible?

Thanks man, you know Im not sure... if Ive heard correctly, but supposedly the convertible already sits somewhat lower than the coupe, so im assuming its just because of the drop rate ? Not 100% sure though.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Strange Agent
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4.6Gtconv
Thanks man, you know Im not sure... if Ive heard correctly, but supposedly the convertible already sits somewhat lower than the coupe, so im assuming its just because of the drop rate ? Not 100% sure though.
Interesting. I've never had an interest in owning a Mustang convertible, so I am really ignorant about 'em.

The SS springs for the convertible lower more than the coupe ones? And the convertible starts out lower? Cool deal I guess, anybody try putting the convertible springs on a coupe for more drop? IIRC the spring rates are close if not identical.

Good luck with getting your car down.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

Its because the convertible is a few hundred pounds heavier. Its because the chassis needs more support since it doesnt have the extra structure of the the top like the coupe does.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Strange Agent
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bpohlman13
Its because the convertible is a few hundred pounds heavier. Its because the chassis needs more support since it doesnt have the extra structure of the the top like the coupe does.
Duh! I'm retarded.

Quick Reply: Looking for Lowering Springs