4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

cold air intakes. whats the best? do they work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 04:38 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

The pushrod V6 doesn't get much more than 1 hp from a full intake. You're best bet is a K&N drop in filter and taking off the snorkle/silencer at the air box. If it tells you anything, I have never run anything but a stock inlet tube on mine over the past 10 years of owning... and I've had almost every V6 configuration you can think of to make power.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:38 PM
HongKongPhooey

I see the CAI as a less restrictive mod for air flow over the stocker. Especially with an aftermarket MAF. I follow smoother the air flows in and the smoother it flows out the more efficient the engine will be. May not offer much if any h/p gains but does help in air flow...and looks lol. I have always liked JLT over the others.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:40 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

But it doesn't help airflow -otherwise it would translate to a power gain. ????
Old 09-30-2011, 04:53 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Preety much agree with everyone here. Money could be well spent somewhere else...
Old 09-30-2011, 08:08 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by HongKongPhooey
I see the CAI as a less restrictive mod for air flow over the stocker. Especially with an aftermarket MAF. I follow smoother the air flows in and the smoother it flows out the more efficient the engine will be. May not offer much if any h/p gains but does help in air flow...and looks lol. I have always liked JLT over the others.
This would only be true (well, sort of) if the stock intake were somehow deficient, it is not. Also, there is no reason to use an aftermarket MAF until you get well beyond 400 fwHP...
Old 09-30-2011, 08:24 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

the only time an intake will do anything for these cars is if the factory one has a big crack in it.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:56 AM
HongKongPhooey

So everyone here thinks that the stock CAI set up of the air silence, filter, maf, the actual CAI tube with all its bends-crimps-and nooks is better if not the same as lets say as the JLT? ...interesting. Guess turblance and restriction does not play a roll in the stock CAI anymore. This has been talked about way back when about 10 years or so more. Why are we reliving the past here? All the test showed that the aftermarket set up was indeed better. JLT and DeMolet were proven to be the best. One of the tricks to getting the horse power from them is to take it to a tuner.
Must be a lot of new people getting Mustangs and don't know how to search. New people to the Mustang world do your homework before asking instead of trying to take the easy way out. The power gain will be minimal but a gain no less. Looking at 1 to 5 at the wheels. These tests have be proven already not just by the magazines but individuals, use the internet search. Is a aftermarket CAI worth it? Yes it is. Look to other forums to find a used one.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:44 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Tell you what, you buy the intakes and we can meet at Raabe Racing is Daytona. You can even pick a car or we can use mine--I will pay for the dyno runs...
Old 10-01-2011, 05:53 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HongKongPhooey
So everyone here thinks that the stock CAI set up of the air silence, filter, maf, the actual CAI tube with all its bends-crimps-and nooks is better if not the same as lets say as the JLT? ...interesting. Guess turblance and restriction does not play a roll in the stock CAI anymore. This has been talked about way back when about 10 years or so more. Why are we reliving the past here? All the test showed that the aftermarket set up was indeed better. JLT and DeMolet were proven to be the best. One of the tricks to getting the horse power from them is to take it to a tuner.
Must be a lot of new people getting Mustangs and don't know how to search. New people to the Mustang world do your homework before asking instead of trying to take the easy way out. The power gain will be minimal but a gain no less. Looking at 1 to 5 at the wheels. These tests have be proven already not just by the magazines but individuals, use the internet search. Is a aftermarket CAI worth it? Yes it is. Look to other forums to find a used one.

You do realize the OP is asking about a 3.8L V6 right? There is NO proven gain for a full CAI over just tossing in a K&N and taking off the silencer. That 1-5 gain is really that easy. If you pop off the stock tube and look in, it's SMOOTH and much bigger than the TB. There are no 'bends and kinks' as like you are talking about. It's not a point of restriction on a V6 at all. It's not worth the money.

And shut it with the "new to the Mustang" crap. I've been building V6 Mustang motors for over a decade. Anyone who knows what they are talking about will tell you the SAME thing.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:12 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
You do realize the OP is asking about a 3.8L V6 right? There is NO proven gain for a full CAI over just tossing in a K&N and taking off the silencer. That 1-5 gain is really that easy. If you pop off the stock tube and look in, it's SMOOTH and much bigger than the TB. There are no 'bends and kinks' as like you are talking about. It's not a point of restriction on a V6 at all. It's not worth the money.

And shut it with the "new to the Mustang" crap. I've been building V6 Mustang motors for over a decade. Anyone who knows what they are talking about will tell you the SAME thing.
they will also tell the same thing about GTs. the intaes dont do anything except make it look a little nicer.

Quick Reply: cold air intakes. whats the best? do they work?