4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Had a thought...Cheap and easy 3.73 gear install idea for the 8.8" SRA

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:59 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Default Had a thought...Cheap and easy 3.73 gear install idea for the 8.8" SRA

Ok this might not work but I figured it can't hurt to ask considering anyone would probably be able to do this and it would cost about 50 bucks total to do.

I know there were a lot of explorers with the limited slip rears that came factory with a 3.73 in the 8.8" rear, I think the D4 axles (less then 50 bucks in a you pull it). So I was thinking what if I pull a 3.73 posi complete carrier assembly from an ex, and throw it in my GT. This way, and correct me if I'm wrong, I won't have to shim anything and go through all that BS. Just unbolt, and bolt the new one in. Now the ex has the same lug pattern so I THINK and again correct me if I'm wrong, I can just take the 31 spline axles from the ex and put them in my car provided the ex and the mustang had the same length axles (have to look this up still).

Anyway I'm sure anyone that has any input catches my drift by now, so let me know what you guys think. Is it possible, is part of it possible or what? Do I have an excuse to get rid of my 3.27's?
Old 09-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

Youll still have to shim it. The whole point to shim it is to get the right amount of backlash. if you put the explorer diff in it, it could still be off. Also, youd need to switch out the pinion. I dont know if the axles are different lengths though.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:32 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I believe the axles are different lengths. Not positive, but I think they are longer. If not, then go for it. Just might have to rebuild the differential as many exploders have high mileage.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
I believe the axles are different lengths. Not positive, but I think they are longer. If not, then go for it. Just might have to rebuild the differential as many exploders have high mileage.
Wonder if the length would be the same with the explorer SRA and the older sn95 Mustangs like my 98 Cobra.??

Where axle is shorter than 99-04 sn95 my understanding.
Wonder if it would be too long?, but the older sn95 rear tires suck in more than 99-04 could help?.

Last edited by Repzard; 09-21-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:27 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bpohlman13
Youll still have to shim it. The whole point to shim it is to get the right amount of backlash. if you put the explorer diff in it, it could still be off. Also, youd need to switch out the pinion. I dont know if the axles are different lengths though.
Figured. Someone told me I wouldn't have to.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:07 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You have to pull the pinion and carrier from the donor axle, and from your rear-end. And then install the donor pinion (including setting the pinion depth) and carrier (shimming as required for proper backlash) into your differential housing.

Then deal with the axle issues.

I.e. it will cost you all of that to save $100 ($150 for new gears vs, $50 for the used axle), and you end up with used gears.

You may want to rethink this...
Old 09-21-2011, 09:17 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

You can get by with using the existing shims. I wouldn't think twice about it.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:26 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KillJoy
The ones from the mustang or from the explorer?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:27 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by KillJoy
Huh? He's talking about yanking the carrier (and pinion, though the OP had not actually realised this) from donor vehicle "A's" differential housing, and installing both into the housing on his vehicle "B".

The likelihood of the pinion depth and carrier shim sets from housing "A" being what is needed for housing "B" is somewhere between 0 and -1; other than the "just plain crap luck" factor...
Old 09-21-2011, 09:30 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
You have to pull the pinion and carrier from the donor axle, and from your rear-end. And then install the donor pinion (including setting the pinion depth) and carrier (shimming as required for proper backlash) into your differential housing.

Then deal with the axle issues.

I.e. it will cost you all of that to save $100 ($150 for new gears vs, $50 for the used axle), and you end up with used gears.

You may want to rethink this...
I kind of had a feeling that was going to be the case. I wasn't saying I was going to do it, it was just a thought. I was just always worried about re-shimming and all that garbage. I hear of so many people who have problems with new gear installs and it deters me. I've kind of gotten over the highway mileage thing because I end up deeper in the gas to keep the 3.27's moving then I would with a 3.73 or 4.10.

I'm not familiar with how to install a set of gears and what happens or what you have to do to take them out. I read a few things but it was a little while ago so I don't really have a good grip on how to do it.

Quick Reply: Had a thought...Cheap and easy 3.73 gear install idea for the 8.8" SRA