4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

faster

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 05:41 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

And he won't tear out urethane bushings on launch? I sure won't put stock location uppers on any of my cars in the future. I have an IRS right now, but if I built an sra it would get either baseline's suspension catalog or MM catalog. You choose whatever you want, but I would not maintain the stock mounting location of our stock sra.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:37 AM
goldengod732

tj what do you mean dont use stock location uppers? where would any other kit mount?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:20 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

They have relocation bracketry that changes the mounting point for the upper control arms to give the rear suspension better geometry. Baseline suspensions and team z suspensions have these kits. There may be others but I am unaware of them offering such things.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:34 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by goldengod732
its an expense thing i cant afford fi right now but soon enough all i want is to go from 14.2 to 13.99 before then end of the season once i start working again im going to be saving for a power adder just not this season

For what it's worth, I daily drive my supercharged '98 without an issues at all. For the $$ you are talking about investing in a Trick Flow head/intake set up and cams, you can SC that thing and meet you goal.

I'd still do suspension first. It will get you the times you're looking for at 1/3 the cost.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:35 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

i was actully just starting to seriously consider heads and cams i was looking at trick flows twisted wedge heads but was unsure of cams and intake i wanted to use but if im doing heads and cams and all that im trying to get into the upper 12's like a 12.8ish i do have a brand new set of hoosiers but im not sure if there qtps i only found the size on them 26.0/10.0-15 i was also actully thinking about your control arms or maximum motorsports lowers im still not sure
MM LCAs and Torque Arm will really help the grip. you need the MM panhard bar though.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:15 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by teej281
And he won't tear out urethane bushings on launch? I sure won't put stock location uppers on any of my cars in the future. I have an IRS right now, but if I built an sra it would get either baseline's suspension catalog or MM catalog. You choose whatever you want, but I would not maintain the stock mounting location of our stock sra.
Typically we recommend spherical bearings above 500rwhp. Also, we recommend spherical bearings regardless of hp if the car is a max-effort drag car, ie: clutch dumping at 5500rpms. They hook better and they're more durable. Win win. Some people don't like the extra NVH from sphericals, but I've been running them on my street cars for years. It just depends on the person.

tj what do you mean dont use stock location uppers? where would any other kit mount?
Originally Posted by teej281
They have relocation bracketry that changes the mounting point for the upper control arms to give the rear suspension better geometry. Baseline suspensions and team z suspensions have these kits. There may be others but I am unaware of them offering such things.

Kevin Slaby designed this upper control arm setup years ago, and another company copied his design. Its popularity online has grown quite a bit in the past few years. It's an interesting design, but I've always believed that with racecars, simpler is better. Simple means less stuff to break which means better reliability. Our suspension (without the super fancy relocation brackets) has been winning championships for almost two decades, up to and including Brian Mitchell's fourth NMRA Renegade championship this past weekend, along with his record setting ET. Whereas, one of the big name racers running this elaborate relocation bracket setup had a suspension part fail stuffing his car into the wall this past season. The keyboard racers like to call the upper control arm relocation kits a superior design, but they don't like to admit that our "inferior design" is still winning championships.

Originally Posted by LilRoush
For what it's worth, I daily drive my supercharged '98 without an issues at all. For the $$ you are talking about investing in a Trick Flow head/intake set up and cams, you can SC that thing and meet you goal.

I'd still do suspension first.
It will get you the times you're looking for at 1/3 the cost.
Suspension & tires always make a big difference!

Originally Posted by turbo232
MM LCAs and Torque Arm will really help the grip. you need the MM panhard bar though.
Not on the dragstrip they don't, and that's what this thread is about!
Old 10-08-2011, 11:03 PM
goldengod732

Originally Posted by LilRoush

I'd still do suspension first. It will get you the times you're looking for at 1/3 the cost.
im not going trick flow heads intake and cam its way to much i thinking about just buying a supercharged motor out of a saleen or something it just seems like the smart way to go buy a fi motor out of a car hit in the rear or doors and just swap it in it would be the heads and the power adder making the diffrence for around 4500 i know i can swap the motor i dont think i want to mess with just a head swap im uncomfortable with timing motors or bolting up heads always been weirded out by it