4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Edelbrock intake and 6061 Dyno Results on Vortech GT!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 12:27 AM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Default Edelbrock intake and 6061 Dyno Results on Vortech GT!

Since everyone else was afraid to do it, I took the liberty of getting it done to improve the mustang 2v community. lol

I heard a lot of hate from people saying it was a bad idea and that it wouldnt make much power and would lose a ton of low end.

I did my research and came to the conclusion that nobody had any hard data and figured it was all hear say so I went through with the purchase.

First of all, let me say I would NEVER do this on a bolt on 2v...even on my car, its kind of pushing it since I have to rev the car to 6300 rpms to even take advantage of the extra power.

For anyone pushing some boost or running H/C its a great piece.

I will say that after the intake/6061 elbow/regulator/ and all the fittings/lines, I ended up spending about 1k.

Heres a rough pic, excuse the dirtiness, engine bay was extremely dirty and I still hadnt gotten the chance to clean up the vacuum lines, remove, the egr, etc.

On to the gains,

Final numbers were 427 rwhp and 376 ft lb tq.
Peak HP came at about 6200-6300 rpms and looked like it would climb forever if I wanted to keep revving it.

Previous best was 384 rwhp, not sure why this pull was layered but you get the idea.

A little above 4500 rpms and the edelbrock just starts climbing to the moon where the PI flattens.

So even if you go just by the peak numbers were looking at a solid 45 rwhp gain or so.

Im sure if we had a previous pull up to 6300 rpms the gaps between the PI and edelbrock at 6k and higher would be HUGE.

So there you have it. The intake will in fact, give solid gains on bolt on, blower 2v's and looks great under there.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:45 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Where's the pics? Folks, Justin will have this car in the 10's !
Old 10-02-2011, 02:26 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

I dont think anyone EVER disputed putting this combo on a blown or H/C car.. I dont see why you had so much opposition on the subject. The only times iv ever seen it not recommended was on a bolt on car.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:33 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

I think he's talking about on other forums and such. But im waiting for boost to really see what this intake setup will do!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Very nice. After I install the LT's this winter that will be my next project. I'll be Pm'ing you my man for advice!!
Old 10-02-2011, 03:02 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

bad *** man!
Old 10-02-2011, 04:27 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
I dont think anyone EVER disputed putting this combo on a blown or H/C car.. I dont see why you had so much opposition on the subject. The only times iv ever seen it not recommended was on a bolt on car.
Mostly other sites and even my tuner said he didnt think it would be worth it and that I would lose a TON of bottom end.

I had many people saying that it was a bad idea with my setup since I had stock heads and cams mostly.

Honestly, the stock bottom end is more of a problem. It looks like the car would make more power if I could pull higher but I didnt want to take the stock bottom end any higher than 6200 rpms.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:28 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Where's the pics? Folks, Justin will have this car in the 10's !

Ill get some better pics when its all done....Im still waiting on this EGR cap and I need to re do the vacuum lines, ditch the egr, and clean it up a bit.

Im hoping for 10s, that was my goal!
Old 10-02-2011, 04:30 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Very nice. After I install the LT's this winter that will be my next project. I'll be Pm'ing you my man for advice!!

Anytime man, honestly if I were to do the rails again, I would just have called MMR and bought the rail kit from them lol

I think I ended up spending more than their kit cost when it was all said and done.

Of course I did use russel fittings, stainless steel lines + a 160 dollarr aeromotive regulator

Not sure what they send out.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:33 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by justinschmidt1
Honestly, the stock bottom end is more of a problem. It looks like the car would make more power if I could pull higher but I didnt want to take the stock bottom end any higher than 6200 rpms.
Built short block is coming up, right Jus

Quick Reply: Edelbrock intake and 6061 Dyno Results on Vortech GT!