4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Brake Still Squeaking, Depressing

Old 10-14-2011, 12:28 AM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Default Brake Still Squeaking, Depressing

Found this while researching, this is exactly the problem I'm having.

Hey guys. I've been chasing an annoying noise from my rear brakes for a while now and I'm out of ideas.

The noise is a squeak/creak coming from the passenger rear brake. Not a constant squeak but more like one squeak with each rotation. It sounds like a squeaky door hinge not a typical brake squeal. It is definitely something rotating as it is speed sensitive.

It happens mostly at low speeds but does occasionally happen on the highway. Applying light pressure to the brakes does not always cure it but firm pressure does.

So far I have replaced the rear rotors and pads with no luck. It did stop after each install but came back within a week.
Replaced:
Rear Rotors
Rear Pads (3 times)
Calipers (2 times)
Brake Lines
Brake Clips
Caliper guide pins and boots
Put all new fluid in
Bled Brakes
Put Anti-sqeel on the back of the pads

I'm seriously out of ideas, and out of parts to change, yet the squeaking continues. I've been chasing this problem for over a year, with no luck. I'm exhausted trying to find solutions, and tempted to get rid of the car. The brakes DO NOT heat up, but the squeak is extremely annoying and quite embarrassing when driving around town. I have had the brakes apart every weekend for the past month cleaning and replacing parts.

The only thing I have found through researching this problem is, the possibility of a bent axle. Can anyone help me with this problem, or have any ideas. At this point, I'm willing to try almost anything. This problem is very depressing, and I have spent a lot of unnecessary money trying to track this down.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:34 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I thought I read about someone figure out the rear brake squeal was something to do with the E-brake. Something to do with the cable in the bracket in the rear squeak and he DW-40'd it and it stopped.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Martinarcher64
2nd Gear Member

Mine does the same thing. Very curious to hear ideas. I'll spray my e-brake and see if that does anything, can't hurt.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:50 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

It's extremely frustrating! It's quite embarrassing riding down the road and the brakes squeaking. I will try to spray some WD-40 on the e-brake. I pulled the brakes off again today and the inside pads on both sides are wearing funny. The top half of the pad is glazed over while the bottom half looks normal.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:39 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Well considering you've pretty much replaced your entire rear braking system twice... It has to just be something really stupid. So I'd start by looking at everything really obvious.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:19 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Left is the outside pad, right is the inside pad.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:38 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Is there something wrong with the axle? Maybe causing it to shift?
Old 10-14-2011, 04:39 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
Is there something wrong with the axle? Maybe causing it to shift?
I don't think there's anything wrong. The wheels don't wobble and nothings lose.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:55 PM
rangerryda
1st Gear Member

I've heard of a guy with a 2011 that had the same issue (as am I with my 2012) and it was a bent axle defect according to him and the dealer fixed it under warranty. I hope it isn't something that serious for me cuz I don't want a rental while they fix it
Old 10-31-2011, 10:42 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rangerryda
I've heard of a guy with a 2011 that had the same issue (as am I with my 2012) and it was a bent axle defect according to him and the dealer fixed it under warranty. I hope it isn't something that serious for me cuz I don't want a rental while they fix it
Mine turned out to be something extremely stupid. Apparently, the pins on the pads and the slot on the piston weren't lined up. Even though Ford originally put them on...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Still Squeaking, Depressing