4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Steeda's Clutch adjuster kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 02:20 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Also if doing an aftermarket quadrant/firewall adjuster and you are gonna put a new cable (OEM) on you are gonna need the UPR triple hook quad as a new OEM cable will not have enough slack to work with a double hook quad. If however you are gonna install the quad/firewall adjuster and gonna use a broken-in OEM cable it will work fine!
Is this true with any of the quadrants? I was planning on the simple MM replacement quadrant and doing the adjusting at the firewall.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:10 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by kast1376
Is this true with any of the quadrants? I was planning on the simple MM replacement quadrant and doing the adjusting at the firewall.
I have heard the MM quad with a new cable will work too, not 100% sure
I did not take chance and went with triple hook, ask Uberstang
Old 10-16-2011, 03:14 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

I'll reiterate, not bashing any company in particular but well known fact about weakness of adjustable cables, known fact
Old 10-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
This pretty much sums it up.

It would have been a waste to call customer service. All I would've gotten was an apology and a loss of my time.

The cable broke on my way to school. It completely frayed around the part of the cable that attaches to the fork. And yes...it was properly adjusted. Here's a pic.

Was that a cable snap or crimping on connector to cable that caused that?
That cable does look awful thin over OEM.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:17 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

We sell between 10,000 and 15,000 cables per year. We usually only see about 3 dozen break per year. Our cables see a 99% success rate when sold to the consumer. That is a very good number (operating at 6 sigma) when it comes out our cables. I am not sure what the OEM success rate is but our cable will compete with their number if not beat it.

In addition, we usually see 2 or 3 break from the same person (this is not referring to anyone on this post, this is just what we have seen on our end). In most cases it is an adjustment issue. What is most common is that the adjustment at the fork is set up in such a way that when the cable is being pulled it will bottom out against the bell housing.

When this happens the system keeps pulling on the cable even though it’s bottomed out. The force being exerted ends up collapsing the cable at the next weakest point which is the outer sheath. The upper half of the sheath where it comes up to the firewall is usually where the cable collapses.

Out of the 36 (3 dozen) or so failures we see per year, well over 30 are this kind of failure, we almost never see the steel cable actually fail.

In a case of a cable failing please call our customer service line so we can determined if this was indeed a malfunction of the cable or if there was an improper set up. We are always looking to help the consumer in any instance that occurs.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:39 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
We sell between 10,000 and 15,000 cables per year. We usually only see about 3 dozen break per year. Our cables see a 99% success rate when sold to the consumer. That is a very good number (operating at 6 sigma) when it comes out our cables. I am not sure what the OEM success rate is but our cable will compete with their number if not beat it.

In addition, we usually see 2 or 3 break from the same person (this is not referring to anyone on this post, this is just what we have seen on our end). In most cases it is an adjustment issue. What is most common is that the adjustment at the fork is set up in such a way that when the cable is being pulled it will bottom out against the bell housing.

When this happens the system keeps pulling on the cable even though it’s bottomed out. The force being exerted ends up collapsing the cable at the next weakest point which is the outer sheath. The upper half of the sheath where it comes up to the firewall is usually where the cable collapses.

Out of the 36 (3 dozen) or so failures we see per year, well over 30 are this kind of failure, we almost never see the steel cable actually fail.

In a case of a cable failing please call our customer service line so we can determined if this was indeed a malfunction of the cable or if there was an improper set up. We are always looking to help the consumer in any instance that occurs.
You are basing this off of a poorly designed analysis. The data is based soley on who contacts your customer service representative. Who knows how many have broken that weren't reported to you. I was one such individual and I am sure there are plenty others. To say that your cable matches if not beats the success rate of the OEM cable is straight salesman puffery and a joke.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:53 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I actually used the MM cable... (non adjustable) and I have no issues with it. Just a thought.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:26 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
I actually used the MM cable... (non adjustable) and I have no issues with it. Just a thought.
MM is an OEM cable!
Old 10-17-2011, 06:55 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Also if doing an aftermarket quadrant/firewall adjuster and you are gonna put a new cable (OEM) on you are gonna need the UPR triple hook quad as a new OEM cable will not have enough slack to work with a double hook quad. If however you are gonna install the quad/firewall adjuster and gonna use a broken-in OEM cable it will work fine!
+1 million, upr triple hook plus a modified stock cable.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:57 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by tj@steeda

Sorry man, this is def flawed data. Its pretty much a known fact adjustable cables are junk, and I broke a UPR one and my friend broke two steeda onces in a 4 month period. And how is the picture shown not a failed steel cable, it frayed apart. Regardless what part of the cable fails a failed cable is a failed cable.

Quick Reply: Steeda's Clutch adjuster kit