4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Steeda's Clutch adjuster kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:28 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Steeda: why don't you guys

1)calculate the pulling force of a typical clutch motion under the worst conditions...
2)buy an OEM cable
3)put both the OEM cable and your cable through the SAME test and see what one fails

By doing that you can prove your cable meets or exeeds the pulling force to break a section of YOUR cable. If you meet or pass the OEM, then it is between incorrect install or maybe a sharp edge on the Clutch Quadrant.

If you claim it is just as good if not better than OEM, prove it. I'm not in the "aftermarket cables suck go OEM" but I have heard that as common place.

It's just dumb to sit on the internet and bicker back and forth when nothing is being proven. I can see your point about the OEM cable not being able to be adjusted to the point of failure and that yours can. In which case it could be just as good as OEM, but it's the fact that the customer screwed up the install.

I see it as if people are not willing to educate themselves on the workings of a clutch or clutch cable or ANY aftermarket part they are willing to put on their car, then they can't b!tch and point the finger if something goes wrong. That, coupled with the mentality that people always want "something for nothing". Of course people will blame the manufacturer and try to get a new cable.

Again, test both cables. PROVE to people your part is a quality one. You guys have made a name for yourself with good parts...why not continue it and go one step further to shut down any accusations. Unless someone documented their install through pictures or video exactly how you tell them to install it...all the "it's the manufacturer's fault, I installed it correctly" is BS in my eyes.

I'm neutral in this, just interesting to read both sides of the story. But it is a very wise decision to have someone be the "eyes and ears" in the mustang forum community to read and hear what is being said about products/companies.

Last edited by smitty2919; 10-19-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:54 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

We did a test of this type over a decade ago. The engineer that did that test is no longer with us. In order to find it will probably take going through stacks and stacks of cabinet files to find it.

I honestly have no real interest in spending what could amount to an hour or more looking for these files just to put it up and continue feeding the bickering on an internet forum post as you so accurately put it.

Its not going to change the fact that some cables will still break, some customers wont bother checking what we tell them to check to keep it from happening again after we warranty it the first time, and they will still believe what they want to believe. Fingers will get pointed at the manufacturer as you accurately put it as well, and things will continue the way they are.

What matters is we warranty the cable on the first failure, every time, during its 1 year warranty period. After that, we as a manufacturer have to hope the end user will check what we ask them to check in the hopes a second failure doesnt happen, and hope for the best.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:35 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

While I agree with you on that I also dissagree. I still don't understand why an hour wouldn't be spent, or hell just do another test to prove your point.

Now if your bussiness is not hurting due to you not selling cables over these accusations, then sure it's prob not worth your time. But if the accusations of aftermarket cables suck and not to buy them DOES hurt your company income, then it would be wise to put in the effort.

Really comes down to is it WORTH your time to prove it. We appreciate having people like you on these forums to supply us with products and inside info and discounts etc. But in my opinion, if you are going to take time out of your day to come on here and stand up for an individual product, you could have put the time in to find those tests by now.

Many people on here are like me and need proof for things. Being an internet forum there is way too much BS being said and passed off as common knowledge. Sometimes it requires proof and hard facts/numbers to make people realize. Otherwise it will be YOUR word against anyone else's. To say you have a low % failure rate on your cables really means nothing. Give people a side by side comparison test and people will finally see.

Yes people will always find a way to screw it up and you can't protect against that.