4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Road course vs drag race

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:54 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Dont get me wrong I love the 1/4 mile. But that is only 13.5 seconds of fun where a AutoX is about a Minute and a HPDE is 20 minutes of fun. Turning is so much funner than straight.
I know you didnt ask but her are some pics of me at a HPDE. In the seqence the first pic is of me catching a Porsche and the next lap is how for I had already gotten away from him. Yes I know I beat the driver not the car but it is still fun knowing I beat a Porsche around a track

Old 10-24-2011, 10:27 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by smitty2919
This should get some good debate. I was aloways into drag racing, the sheer power of launching a car flying down the 1/4 mi. Was never really into the corner carving although I would sometimes drive spirited around turns.

Yesterday I went to Putnam Raceway in Greencastle IN to see my brother in law and father in law race just for fun and to get a ride. HOLY **** is that stuff intense. My brother in law has a 87 Vette full blown race/trac car pushing about 500 n/a CCW's, the whole nine yards...the amount of focus/attention required to fly around turns pulling those kind of G's is amazing. It is such a viscous ride getting tossed around. I was going around turns so fast I was expecting to fly off the track, but the saying "good tires are everything" could not be more true. These track built cars hug corners like nothing I have ever felt.

I may be converted to a "road courser" now...during lunch they allowed ANYONE to bring their car on the track and cruise around, but loosely limited you to 50mph. So OBVIOUSLY I took the Mach out and he rode with me explaining things turn by turn. I was going "slow" compared to how he can drive" but that **** was FUN!

Anyone that bashes road coursing...have you been in a strictly built track car? Not just your buddies budget built Miata lol.

Let's see people's opinions on this one. Seems like a good debate.
I did my first HPDE at Putnam Park. It's a nice track. Plenty of run off room, just in case!

Personally, I like both! I have an 89 Mustang for drag racing and an 06 Mustang for HPDEs. Both are UPR Products project cars. It's very tricky to build one car to do both drag racing and road racing, but you can build one car that is decent at both. A mach1 is actually a decent car for that too. (I'm assuming yours is an 03-04 mach?)

Originally Posted by school boy
glad to hear you had some fun! bowlingreen ky is opening a road course in the next couple of years. the corvette museum is the one's building it. there is a couple local guys where i live that get into the auto-x and road racing. there my go-to guys if i have any questions. i do agree................ road racing>drag racing.... lol!
Are you talking about the Bluegrass Motorsports Park or whatever? I thought that was closer to Lexington, like fairly close to Ky Speedway. (or is Beech Bend building a roadrace track too?)
Old 10-25-2011, 12:20 AM
Explosive

I've driven cars built quick and for corners but the power involved in drag racing is what I love. The launch is awesome and when its a good race and you're neck and neck and you catch a gear and slowly start pulling away from the other car. Awesome feeling.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:31 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Yes, my car is a 03. Stock except lowering springs. My wife got some pics of me out there. Nothing amazing but I'll try to throw some up.

I think I'm going to sell my 18" saleens to fund an IRS swap. I thought about doing it before for a more comfy daily driver, but after this HPDE session I have more of a reason to do the swap lol.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:48 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by smitty2919
AHAHAH took only 5 laps in an actual track car to see that light. That was on bad tires too and we would fishtail around every turn. Two of the tires were showing cords lol A GOOD set of tires and that will be a good time.

I'm coming to see how much of a DRIVER you have to be to road race. Drag racing requires $$ and good reflexes to mash the gas at the light and hold on. Road course requires $$ too but for you to actually DRIVE the car. Knowing braking point/entry point/exit point/acceleration point is some tricky stuff. Add in making minor corrections due to sliding, and keeping track of everyone around you.

My brain as getting overloaded with just watching him drive LOL.

"... looky a'here a mamaaa. Oura boya has alla grown upa to bea man'a. I ama soo prouda"

The Kitty of Sicily
Old 10-25-2011, 10:14 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Are you talking about the Bluegrass Motorsports Park or whatever? I thought that was closer to Lexington, like fairly close to Ky Speedway. (or is Beech Bend building a roadrace track too?)
the Bluegrass Motorsportts Park is in Sparta Ky, its about 90% finished but never was opened due to evirommental B.S. its sad that a nice track is sitting there used. heres a link to the the motorsports park in Bowlingreen:
http://www.motorsportspark.org/
Old 10-25-2011, 10:19 AM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
I did my first HPDE at Putnam Park. It's a nice track. Plenty of run off room, just in case!

Personally, I like both! I have an 89 Mustang for drag racing and an 06 Mustang for HPDEs. Both are UPR Products project cars. It's very tricky to build one car to do both drag racing and road racing, but you can build one car that is decent at both. A mach1 is actually a decent car for that too. (I'm assuming yours is an 03-04 mach?)

setting a car up to run both is going to make it mediocre at both.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:39 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

finally someone else thats breaking the stereotype!!!

all you need to do is watch someone bomb down the front straight in a legit RR car and heel-toe down from 6th to 2nd and youll realize how much skill it takes (although deep pockets never hurt )
Old 10-25-2011, 01:53 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by turbo232
setting a car up to run both is going to make it mediocre at both.
A person can do better than mediocre at both with one car, but I agree with your point. My dad taught me at a very young age to use the right tool for the job.

This is my drag car:

This is my HPDE car:

Old 10-25-2011, 01:59 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sn95_331_GT_ yellow
finally someone else thats breaking the stereotype!!!

all you need to do is watch someone bomb down the front straight in a legit RR car and heel-toe down from 6th to 2nd and youll realize how much skill it takes (although deep pockets never hurt )
I say screw stereotype....I'll do whatever I find interesting with my car. My theory is more road course drivers can be decent at drag racing than drag racers being decent at road coursing lol.

There is no doubt that road coursing MAKES you be in tune with the car and know it inside and out. More-so than drag racing.

I ended up being mezmorized by my brother-in-law's heel toe capability and how quick it was all happening lol

Quick Reply: Road course vs drag race