4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

After 20 years It's finally mine (NEW MEMBER)

Old 10-26-2011, 10:35 PM
bluep7

Default After 20 years It's finally mine (NEW MEMBER)

New here...How you all doing?

My first car was a 1987 IROC Z-28. Great first car for a 17 year old just getting their license. It was an older bro hand me down and he upgraded to a 1991 GT. I loved it and swore someday I would own one. Well come 20 years later, I finally bought it. 2004 GT 4.6l. Only mod is a BBK cold intake.

I don't know jack about cars at all, but know that I finally have my dream car, I am reading a lot and getting into it big time. Hope to look to you all for some good advice as time goes by.
With that all said, I have a quick question.

I have been reading about tuners like the SCT programmers etc. My question is, Should I assume the previous owner (I bought it from a dealer) "tuned" this car up with one of these tuners to accomodate the BBK intake modification?

Thanks and take care.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Most likely the car is not tuned. You don't need a tune for your car to run the CAI.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:06 AM
bluep7

Thanks for the response and I'll take your word for it, but why?
I was reading and I thought I read that it did need to be tuned in order for it to be "customized" for my specific vehicle. Maybe I read it wrong.

Also, would you suggest getting a tuner or a chip?
And, a friend of mine told me to replace the stock alternator for a high performance alternator. Is that something I should look into as well? What, if any, are the advantages to that?
THANKS AGAIN

Originally Posted by Kerns
Most likely the car is not tuned. You don't need a tune for your car to run the CAI.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:22 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

No need for an upgraded alternator unless your running a large amp and multilpe fog lights. And its the 05s and up that require a tune after a cai upgrade. And a handheld tuner is nice to have for the present and future upgrades they can be had new or used they both will do the same job no mechanical parts to be broken on those.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:34 AM
djd2392
2nd Gear Member

First off: Congrats!

and no not all mods need a tune, some things do, but unless specified you don't need it. But it is a great mod that will really wake up the car. I have an SCT tuner with the custom tunes for life
Old 10-27-2011, 08:37 AM
CobraFrenzy
3rd Gear Member

Congratz on gettin the gt.. Post some pics
Old 10-27-2011, 09:31 AM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

Welcome! As others have said, you dont need a tune for a cai. However, tuners are great mods that really wake up the car. Also you will need one if you plan on modding the car more down the line. A tuner will also allow you to read CEL codes. I would suggest looking here, http://www.americanmuscle.com/99-04-...ps-tuners.html. They are reasonably priced and come with free tunes for life.

Originally Posted by CobraFrenzy
Congratz on gettin the gt.. Post some pics
^^^This!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 12:54 PM
bluep7

Old 10-27-2011, 12:56 PM
bluep7

Thanks for the info. Here is a pic

QUOTE=bluep7;7733061][/QUOTE]
Old 10-27-2011, 04:21 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Jez, pretty good looking car. Car could use a drop though...

As for the CAI, the stock intake ford put on these cars is a CAI, so replacing it with one like your BBK just makes the engine bay look pretty. Those handheld tuners you're talking about are what are considered to be "canned tunes". Everyone gets the same tune, they make mild adjustments based on what mods you've done, but if you want to get a "real" tune, you'll need to take it to someone with a dyno who knows what they're doing. No need to do that till you're dropping big bucks into the car. The handheld tuner is useful if you change gears*

What are your plans for the car?!?!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: After 20 years It's finally mine (NEW MEMBER)