4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

is there a left an right? 02sensors

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:18 PM
93lx5.0maine

Default is there a left an right? 02sensors

on the car lookin down i took the braket off the tranny an im not sure if i plugged the 02 sensor in the right plug, same goes for the xpipe 02 sensors, is there a left an a right? if so what color are they how to tell, i think the plugs are diff colors?? another question, on the sensor down by the ac, the plug broke on it, but im able to plug the wires onto the sensor with out the clip part of the plug, if they were crossed would it run at all, please someone help im goin crazy, bran new engine an its running so rough smokin bad vibrateing all over skipping popping idk what to do, i hope i exsplained my self if not ask me thanks im on 17 an love workin on my first mustang
Old 11-04-2011, 07:42 AM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

Dude, do not cross the o2 sensor wires. Do you have a scan tool? If so plug it in to the OBD2 port and start the car. Watch the bank 1 and bank 2 fuel trims. If one side goes way lean and the other side goes way rich (one side will be negative numbers and the other positive) then you have the front o2 sensors crossed. Turn off the car and swap them. Then start the car and watch again. Make sure that both sides stay within a close margin of each other. Then watch the rear o2 sensors and do the same process.

If you do not have a scan tool then turn the car on and listen for a misfire. Don't give it gas and don't drive it. One side will misfire. If you can't hear it then pull the spark plugs and check to see if any of them have closed gaps or cracked sleeves. If so then swap the sensors and do the procedure over again.

Or call the dealer and ask them what color the sensors are. I think the fronts are green and the rears are blue and purple.

Be careful and do not drive the car until you are absolutely sure they are in the correct place. Have it towed somewhere if need be. Pull the harness and re-route it if need be. See if the sensors are on the wrong side then the ecu is going to instruct bank 1 to pull fuel and bank 2 to add fuel or vice versa. The problem here is that the computer thinks bank 2 is bank 1 and thinks bank 1 is bank 2. So when it tells bank 1 to pull fuel, bank 2 is the side pulling fuel. And when it tells bank 2 to add fuel, bank 1 is the side adding fuel. So one side will run extremely rich while the other side runs extremely lean. That's probably already happening which is why the car is having the symptoms you explained. The problem is that you're gonna crack the pistons, rings, valves, or even totally destroy the cylinder head combustion chamber if you drive the car like this.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:27 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

^ you're blowing this way out of proportion imo.

the sensors themselves are the same, both have green plugs. and i dont really see how you can cross the two plugs coming off the harness, only one of them should be long enough to reach to the drivers side plug. but sense the sensors themselves are the same, it will be just fine to drive on unless there's a problem with one side running lean. but as long as you dont have any vac leaks, bad coils/injectors, etc you should be fine, but like i said, i dont think you can swap the harness wires anyways.

Last edited by ctgreddy; 11-04-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
i dont really see how you can cross the two plugs coming off the harness, only one of them should be long enough to reach to the drivers side plug.

^^^^ This^^^^^^
Old 11-05-2011, 06:43 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

@ ctgreddy, didn't mean to go off on a tangent there but it is possible. I had O2 sensor extenders on my mustang because I needed them for headers I used to have. I had the engine replaced (and went back to stock manifolds) at a shop over a year ago and guess what they did? Anyway, I figured it out before any damage occurred to the engine...mainly because the engine kept misfiring and I couldn't solve it until I put a scan tool to it to see what the computer was doing. But otherwise you are right, the sensors are not long enough to cross. I got a little paranoid in my post...haha!!
Old 11-05-2011, 06:50 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

@ 93lx5.0maine...that wire you're talking about down by the air conditioner is the crank position sensor. The clip part broke off of mine (once again at a shop) but I knew which one to push onto the individual clip and I never had a problem with it. Now I can't tell you what will happen if you cross those 2 plugs but I'd say don't risk it. Maybe you can follow them back and try to figure how they're supposed to line up. Or look at how they're curved and try to figure where each one would be if they were on the clip. Outside of that I'd say seek professional help with it.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:03 PM
93lx5.0maine

Originally Posted by DeathRattle
@ 93lx5.0maine...that wire you're talking about down by the air conditioner is the crank position sensor. The clip part broke off of mine (once again at a shop) but I knew which one to push onto the individual clip and I never had a problem with it. Now I can't tell you what will happen if you cross those 2 plugs but I'd say don't risk it. Maybe you can follow them back and try to figure how they're supposed to line up. Or look at how they're curved and try to figure where each one would be if they were on the clip. Outside of that I'd say seek professional help with it.
OK LIKE U SAID I DONT KNOW IF ONE IS LIKE POS AN ONE NEG, I JUST PUSHED EM ON HOPING THEY WERE ON THE RIGHT ONE, THE CAR IS RUNNING LIKE **** SKIPPING POPPING NO POWER, MAYBE I HAVE EM CROSSED?

AN THE O2 SENOR THE BRAKET THE BOLTS TO TRANNY INBEHIND THE INTAKE IS GONE, SO I DIDNT KNOW IF I HAD THE 02 SENSORS PLUGGED INTO THE WRONG SIDE, BEFORE I PUT XPIPE AN REAR O2 SENSORS ON IT DID THIS FOR SEC THEN CAME OUT OF IT MAYBE THE ONES ON THE XPIPE ARE PLUGGED INTO THE WRONG SIDE, THERE IS PURPLE AN GREEN DO U KNOW IF THE PURPLE GOES TO DRIVERS SIDE OR PASSANGER VICE VERSA THANKS FOR THE HELP
Old 11-07-2011, 04:44 PM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

Did you just try flipping them and seeing what happened? If nothing changes then it's probably something else?

Vibrations could happen from a vacuum leak, you can buy a tool to check that. The popping may be a miss and it could be from bad plugs, you could pull them and put new ones cheap and then maybe the wires went bad.

I have no idea what the smoking is. Is it white, blue, black?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:18 AM
93lx5.0maine

looks likw white smoke, its all new ported heads bran new,new head gaskets, 40k teksid aluminum lower end, bbk full headers,bbk xpipe,magnaflow cat back.ext..... running like ****.........ganna try flip wires 2marow, i need nice set valve covers anyone wanna trade teksid 12lb aluminum flywheel 8bolt,also cobra 8bolt crank for a set??
Old 11-09-2011, 05:14 AM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

@ 93lx...sometimes new headers will make somke when they warm up because they're burning off excess oil and grease or whatever...if you have a brand new set up where everything is brand new then you have to expect some smoking on initial break in.

The front sensors should be green. One of the rears should be purple and the other should be blue. Call the Ford dealer and talk to the parts dept...they can tell you exactly which one is which. As far as the crank position sensor, I guess you might just have to switch them and find out...either that or call some shops to see if they can help. Do a google search, check Chiltons, check Haynes, etc...

As far as the engine not having power and all the stuttering and stuff...was the rotating assembly balanced? Did you do a leak down and compression check before you installed the engine? Did you make sure there were no washers or small metal pieces in the intake or somewhere that could get sucked into the engine and keep a valve open? Did you torque everything down correctly...torque wrench and correct pattern? Are all the vacuum hoses connected? Are your plugs properly gapped? Is the car tuned for the set-up? What injectors/Maf are you using? Are they matched? Are all your sensors, relays and grounds connected?

I'd say pop the hood and go over every inch of the engine to see if you missed something. Get a vacuum gauge and see if you're losing vacuum. Drain the oil and see what it looks like. Drain the coolant and see whats going on there...