4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

what kind of throttle bodies and plenums are yall running?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:37 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Read this...

Then, do these things before worrying about the TB/plenum:
  1. Open up the exhaust (if you have not done so already) to 2-1/2" from the manifolds back--X or H as you prefer; catted or o/r (other than noise level it doesn't matter which);
  2. Buy a tuning system, load a tune optimised for the highest octane fuel you care to buy;
  3. Change the rear-end gears, 3.73:1 and 4.10:1 are the most popular (you'll need the tuner to correct the speedometer);

Then worry about a TB/plenum and other upgrades...
Old 11-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Read this...

Then, do these things before worrying about the TB/plenum:
  1. Open up the exhaust (if you have not done so already) to 2-1/2" from the manifolds back--X or H as you prefer; catted or o/r (other than noise level it doesn't matter which);
  2. Buy a tuning system, load a tune optimised for the highest octane fuel you care to buy;
  3. Change the rear-end gears, 3.73:1 and 4.10:1 are the most popular (you'll need the tuner to correct the speedometer);

Then worry about a TB/plenum and other upgrades...
Already got you covered:

Originally Posted by Syracuse315
And look at this one (shout out to CliffyK) directly for your TB questions (basically, you only need to upgrade the plenum):
http://www.paladinmicro.com/?frm=AccufabFlow01.htm
Old 11-16-2011, 11:22 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Cool.

I missed that...
Old 11-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Crispy2000Gt
2nd Gear Member

what is a complete exhaust system i can buy for a good price. headers to tips. need to pass texas inspection though, so i need the cats. means LT are out.

should i buy it online and have it installed , or order all parts through an exhaust shop down here in texas and have them do the work. i dont want them selling me tin metal
Old 11-16-2011, 04:07 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Crispy2000Gt
what is a complete exhaust system i can buy for a good price. headers to tips. need to pass texas inspection though, so i need the cats. means LT are out.

should i buy it online and have it installed , or order all parts through an exhaust shop down here in texas and have them do the work. i dont want them selling me tin metal
I shopped around online and got some really good deals on my mid-pipe and cat-back. I suggest just looking around online for deals, they are out there.

I also have to pass emissions and plan on throwing the stock mid-pipe back on when it is time to get tested again.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Crispy2000Gt
i have a list to have complete before may 2012.
ford 3.73 gears with tuner from AM ( going to get last so i can program all mods)
short shifter
headers
t/b and plenum
springs shocks struts
CC plates
maybe stage 1 cams and thats it.

all i have now is flows and a cai.
the car is my DD but plan on going to the track (1/4) after a few bolt ons.
i dont plan on a s/c but who knows, maybe in a few years
Ok let me help you out:

ford 3.73 gears with tuner from AM ( going to get last so i can program all mods)--Very good idea. Make sure you get a reputable shop to install them though.

short shifter--MGW or go home!

headers--Long tubes are the only way to go for 2V's.. (Don't make the same mistake I did).

t/b and plenum-- Generally the golden rule is, NA 70MM and 75MM for FI.

springs shocks struts--One of the other members can help you out on this one.

CC plates--A must if you lower you car. I learned the hard way and had to buy two new front tires that were only 18 months old and had probably 8,000 miles on them.

maybe stage 1 cams and thats it---Cams are a nice upgrade. I have Comps but have heard some really good things about Crower.

Moral of the story is stay away from bolt on's. 2V's just don't respond well to them. GL!

Last edited by Soldier GT; 11-16-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:10 AM
Crispy2000Gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Ok let me help you out:

ford 3.73 gears with tuner from AM ( going to get last so i can program all mods)--Very good idea. Make sure you get a reputable shop to install them though.

headers--Long tubes are the only way to go for 2V's.. (Don't make the same mistake I did).

CC plates--A must if you lower you car. I learned the hard way and had to buy two new front tires that were only 18 months old and had probably 8,000 miles on them.

maybe stage 1 cams and thats it---Cams are a nice upgrade. I have Comps but have heard some really good things about Crower.

Moral of the story is stay away from bolt on's. 2V's just don't respond well to them. GL!
can i fit cats with the long tubes? and what brands are good quality for the best price?

also, what all needs to be done for cams, do i need to port the heads or change anything, or just basically buy them and tell a shop to install.... this is the firsrt car iv done alot to, besides import.

Last edited by Crispy2000Gt; 11-17-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Trickflow Plenum and 70mm Trickflow TB..All thats needed on a N\A 2V..Really
More then that is overkill
Old 11-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Ok let me help you out:

Perfect List

I myself have the B&M short throw shifter and its smooth and really short for throws.
knocked some time off my 1\4 numbers
Old 11-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Mustang_Girl_32

Trickflow 75mm plenum/throttle body

Quick Reply: what kind of throttle bodies and plenums are yall running?