4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

To get a roll bar or not to get a roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Default To get a roll bar or not to get a roll bar

So ive been out of the loop for a bit. Been super busy with everything else in life but im getting back on the saddle. Ive been buying the rest of the stuff i need to finish this build lately and im contemplating a roll bar for added stability. Ive looked at the MMR, wolfecraft, etc and not sure which one to get if any.

Lets hear your thoughts on this(brand, fitment, what point bar, etc)
keep in mind this is a weekend warrior/ every blue moon track car.

Also, if you have a roll bar please post up pics and list what brand it is along with what point style it is
Old 11-16-2011, 09:08 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

Roll bars are like wheelie bars. If you're gonna sport one, you'd better need it.

That aside, There's not a lot of value in a roll bar (only 4 points). If you want chassis stiffening, think 6 point cage. The softest part of the car is between the door jambs. Without spanning that gap, improvements are limited. That's not to say they aren't noticeable, just limited.

Lastly, I've installed enough custom cages to have a real disdain for any ready made kit. I haven't seen one that fit as close to the interior as a custom cage can. This is important because you stand to shrink your interior by several inches. That's a lot of squeezing in, bumping your head, squirming about on road trips, etc. Make it fit tight against the interior to make it easier to live with. By close, I mean 1/4" clearance to the door panels, B-pillar and roof.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:45 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Yea i know what you mean. IDK, ive just been pondering the idea the past couple days since i have the car gutted and now would be the time to do it. I dont necessarily need it as i dont frequent the track whole alot. Its just one of those deals where you look it and you know you dont NEED it but cant dismiss the idea that it wouldnt necessarily be a bad mod to have for the "just in case". If that makes any sense lol

EDIT: I was looking at the 6pt roll bars, not the 4pt. I think we are talking about the same thing just using different terminology. To me a cage is a full halo with bars through the dash etc. A roll bar being a half halo with supporting bars(door bars etc).

Last edited by Tim99GT; 11-16-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:16 AM
tim2002gt
3rd Gear Member

The Wolfe Racecraft kits fit pretty good really. Also you do not have to cut up your rear plastic panels on the sides of the seats like the MM roll bar requires.

There's some pics of a Wolfe cage installed here...

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gt-s...000-words.html
Old 11-17-2011, 07:11 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

God damnit Tim where the hell have you been!!! Haha hope all is well bud
Old 11-17-2011, 07:26 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

HAHAHA i know man. Ive been around just havent been posting. Alls great BTW. Went throught that dicorce and its been absolutely crazy being single again lol. Ive been neglecting the mustang for this reason and have decided to put my foot down and get back to work haha.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:20 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
So ive been out of the loop for a bit. Been super busy with everything else in life but im getting back on the saddle. Ive been buying the rest of the stuff i need to finish this build lately and im contemplating a roll bar for added stability. Ive looked at the MMR, wolfecraft, etc and not sure which one to get if any.

Lets hear your thoughts on this(brand, fitment, what point bar, etc)
keep in mind this is a weekend warrior/ every blue moon track car.

Also, if you have a roll bar please post up pics and list what brand it is along with what point style it is
For that reason I vote no to a roll cage. I've been getting in the mindset of "if it really doesn't help or it's not needed, don't do it."

I just installed UPR LCA's with sperical end and the first time driving I felt a diff in a good way. But since you are not crazy into the strip...I don't see a point in going through all this for a roll cage.

Money and time spent elsewhere. I assume you have FLSFC's welded in?? If not then put the money there.

Yes it would look bada$$ to have one, but same applies to 10.5" wide wheels on a stock car....not needed and just more weight. (Keep in mind I have had the 17x9 17x10.5 and 18x9 18x10 wheels setup so I'm not picking on anyone)

I sold my 18" saleens and went to stock wheels on my mach to fund the LCA's, FW adjuster/quadrant, soon FLSFC's, and picked up some 4.10's....more FUNCTIONAL mods than the looks of 18" saleens.

Last edited by smitty2919; 11-17-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:42 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

I am just about finishing up my MM 4 point and the fit/quality was awesome. Kind of time consuming to install as you have to fab it up, take it back out to get welded/powdercoated, i only have two circles cut in my interior panels and it looks very clean, and then you install the cage as your marks are already made. Heres my progress pics and I should have the final outcome within the next week:

Not the best of pictures but kind of give you an idea
Old 11-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
For that reason I vote no to a roll cage. I've been getting in the mindset of "if it really doesn't help or it's not needed, don't do it."

I just installed UPR LCA's with sperical end and the first time driving I felt a diff in a good way. But since you are not crazy into the strip...I don't see a point in going through all this for a roll cage.

Money and time spent elsewhere. I assume you have FLSFC's welded in?? If not then put the money there.

Yes it would look bada$$ to have one, but same applies to 10.5" wide wheels on a stock car....not needed and just more weight. (Keep in mind I have had the 17x9 17x10.5 and 18x9 18x10 wheels setup so I'm not picking on anyone)

I sold my 18" saleens and went to stock wheels on my mach to fund the LCA's, FW adjuster/quadrant, soon FLSFC's, and picked up some 4.10's....more FUNCTIONAL mods than the looks of 18" saleens.

yea i know what you mean and your probably right. I really dont need to be spending the money on that since its not a track car and could use the money elsewhere. I guess i was needing someone to say dont get it lol. Yea i have FLSFC's already along with 10.5 wide rims lol
Old 11-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

That looks good 97Stanger. The only thing is i dont know if i like how you have to cut you rear interior panels to install it. Ive been reading on the wolfecraft roll bar and i like how it hows through the back decklid instead of mounting through the rear panels.
What made you get the MM one vs the others?

Quick Reply: To get a roll bar or not to get a roll bar