4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Nasa-SE racing @ Road Atlanta (my wreck)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 10:51 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Default Nasa-SE racing @ Road Atlanta (my wreck)

Last race of the year with Nasa-Southeast and it was held at Road Atlanta. Everything was going well... I qualified 3rd in class (out of 9) and 7th overall out of 40 in my racing group. I had just ran my personal best time of 1:35.788 and was feeling pretty good about my chances of finishing well in the final race.

I was in a very close battle with a fellow vette racer and friend of mine for 3rd and it lasted the entire race. I ran a faster lap in the race (1.35.194) than I did even in qualifying... in traffic! I was feeling pretty good. Then it all went downhill on lap 12.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehZLwFf6e3A

I hit the wall around 70-80 mph coming out of turn 12 just past the start/finish line. The car hit the left front a ton and then slapped the left rear of the car into the inside wall as well. It wasn't as hard of a hit as I thought it would be and I came out of it just fine. Nothing broken on me and no bruises. Just slightly sore but nothing too bad. I'm mostly disappointed in myself and hate that it happened so late in the race... probably only had about 5-6 more laps to go.

I've already stripped the car down quite a bit and all the body panels will have to be replaced except for the doors, roof and front/rear windshield. I'm also going to step up and put a good wing/splitter combo on the car and come back better than before. It'll be down for a few months but hopefully I can get it back together middle to late next year.

Going to start compiling a list of parts I need as I take it to Jerry Onks eventually to see if the frame can be straightened out. From what everyone has told me so far, it looks very fixable.

I'll add some pictures later, I was so disappointed that I didn't take pictures right after it happened. Its not too bad... but bad enough.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:59 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

wow man, just was pushing that car hard! sorry for the wreck though
Old 12-08-2011, 03:38 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Great that you walked away!

Years ago when I raced (SCCA Class H, Triumph Spitfires) an old timer told me "If you never crash you're not trying hard enough, if you always crash you are not in control."
Old 12-08-2011, 07:08 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Man thats horrible, glad to hear your alright tho. So the car the wrecked was your car? Or the car with the camera was yours?
Old 12-08-2011, 09:40 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

What time in the video is the crash? I don't want to watch all 17 minutes.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:23 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
Man thats horrible, glad to hear your alright tho. So the car the wrecked was your car? Or the car with the camera was yours?
Yeah, the camera was in my friends car behind me putting the pressure on me. It was alot of fun and running in contention for a podium finish would've been nice.

I've already got the car torn down quite a bit and it will be going to the frame shop in the next few weeks to get it all straightened out. I'll also have to replace the rear tub as its smashed in some too.

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
What time in the video is the crash? I don't want to watch all 17 minutes.
The last 20 seconds.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:56 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Cool man goodluck. I would love to race like this but i can only imagine the money that you have to put out to do it
Old 12-09-2011, 01:19 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
Cool man goodluck. I would love to race like this but i can only imagine the money that you have to put out to do it
Thanks man. Its by no means cheap, but its tons of fun. As you can see, lots of mustangs and camaro's out there running with us in American Iron, CMC and even in our ST2 class. Just about any car has a home in Nasa!