4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

** HOT ** JLT "Next Generation" Intake - A first Look!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 12:27 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Thisssss isss crasssssssh and ineed 30 more ponnnnnnieeeeees for tuneeeeeel viddddddeoooo
Old 12-24-2011, 11:45 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Thisssss isss crasssssssh and ineed 30 more ponnnnnnieeeeees for tuneeeeeel viddddddeoooo
Lol touchèèèè
Old 12-25-2011, 02:55 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

So I guess Long Tubes are a waste of money as well since they don't produce "25rwhp" on most cars?

I agree that nearly all marketing is done with claims from some undisclosed and optimal situation, but failure to hit the claimed number doesn't mean the product is worthless. We all, or at least those of us with experience, take the claimed power gains with a grain of salt. Many mods can work together to achieve decent improvements. In actuality, no mod is probably worth the price of admission, but we like to tinker so we purchase new parts in search of improvement.

It is doubtful that any one of us could fully justify the amount of money we have spent on mods vs the gains we have realized. That is not really the point of modding.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:23 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
So I guess Long Tubes are a waste of money as well since they don't produce "25rwhp" on most cars?

I agree that nearly all marketing is done with claims from some undisclosed and optimal situation, but failure to hit the claimed number doesn't mean the product is worthless. We all, or at least those of us with experience, take the claimed power gains with a grain of salt. Many mods can work together to achieve decent improvements. In actuality, no mod is probably worth the price of admission, but we like to tinker so we purchase new parts in search of improvement.

It is doubtful that any one of us could fully justify the amount of money we have spent on mods vs the gains we have realized. That is not really the point of modding.
I agree, but some parts such as a cai, when claimed to produce around 15rwhp on a N/A car that in actualitly will more than likley see 1-2rwhp which could just be a varibale in the running conditions between pulls is pushing it. But my BBK long tubes did produce 17rwhp but thats on a blown 4v. To put things in perspective, cobra frenzys 97 GT had long tubes, jlt intake, pullies, long tubes, magnapacks, offroad h. and it put down a wopping 19x rwhp. When according to the gains all the companies claimed it should of been more like 270.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:32 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I hear ya, but my personal experience was 253rwhp (vs ~235-238 stock) with just JLT CAI, O/R mid-pipe, and UDP shows that several of these lower improvement mods can add up to some real benefit. Any one of them alone certainly wouldn't make a significant difference.

I totally agree that some mods are much more likely to help because they address a specific vehicle's greatest weakness. Improving any aspect of the system which is NOT the bottleneck, won't improve the flow until the bottleneck is improved. Once the bottleneck is improved, some of the other mods may suddenly provide a benefit.

I also agree that a consumer should not realistically expect the amount of hp improvement claimed by the manufacturer in their marketing materials. Not that manufacturers are dishonest, but because omission of information is the name of the game in marketing.

Too many guys are focused ONLY on improving peak hp numbers. However, area under the curve is what counts the most. It is possible to gain 12rwhp at 2800rpm, but only 4rwhp at the peak. Therefore, it is not appropriate to reference only the gain at peak if significant gains are achieved at other rpm.

uberstang1,
I know I am not telling you anything you don't know, but I know some of the young/new guys may need to read some of these ideas.