MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   improve gas mileage?? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/660795-improve-gas-mileage.html)

DjBootleg813 01-04-2012 03:53 PM

improve gas mileage??

Wuddup just wondering if there is any tips on how to get better MPG?? Like replacing spark plugs or what not.. Any tips helps! =)

Kerns 01-04-2012 05:42 PM

Best advice is drive like a grandma. Usually driving habits have the most effect on the cars gas mileage. Other things that can contribute to bad gas mileage are old spark plugs, bad coil on plugs(spark plug wires), bad O2 sensors, higher ratio gears, dirty MAF, dirty fuel filter, dirty air filter, and low air pressure in tires.

Rockwell28 01-04-2012 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by DjBootleg813 (Post 7796360)
Wuddup just wondering if there is any tips on how to get better MPG?? Like replacing spark plugs or what not.. Any tips helps! =)

Whats your current mileage?

Alec 01-04-2012 07:24 PM

A dirty TB and fuel filter did a number on my gas mileage

DjBootleg813 01-05-2012 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rockwell28 (Post 7796631)
Whats your current mileage?

like 14 -15 city and like 25 highway =/

Kerns 01-05-2012 11:53 AM

Sounds about right to be honest. Most likely you are being a little too hard on the throttle and on the brakes in the city. Nothing major to worry about, but driving a little more cautiously will get you around 17mpg in the city. 25 on the highway is far better than what I get though. Bastard

Rockwell28 01-05-2012 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by DjBootleg813 (Post 7797210)
like 14 -15 city and like 25 highway =/

from the factory its suppose to be like 17/26 so you're right behind that just like its been stated just be easier on the throttle and do the simple things like changing out the fuel filter,cleaning the air filter, cleaning the throttle body, and clean your maf all with the proper cleaners. im getting about 16-17city 23-24hwy right now i use to get 26mpg hwy before the gear change/3.73s. Your mileage seems fine though but do those simple things.

Itsme03gt 01-06-2012 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Kerns (Post 7796507)
Best advice is drive like a grandma. Usually driving habits have the most effect on the cars gas mileage. Other things that can contribute to bad gas mileage are old spark plugs, bad coil on plugs(spark plug wires), bad O2 sensors, higher ratio gears, dirty MAF, dirty fuel filter, dirty air filter, and low air pressure in tires.

Everything listed above and also watch everything listed above, sounds funny, but when a stang is taken good care of and watched for these little details you can get almost 19 in town and 27 on HW. I drive a 2003 and get like 14 in town and 24 on highway so ya ;) keep up the great work

MY modo is i pay to play and its the truth reving/showing off/burning out/ or gunning the hell out of it will get you no where but a ticket and more cash flow into the car ;) but its worth it.

TRUEBLUE3934 01-06-2012 11:43 AM

Yup, driving habits have more to do with mpg than any other single item.
Put some broken glass in your right shoe and your mileage is likely to improve.

Your current mpg don't sound much out of line though. The mileage in town could probably improve a little with changes in driving habits. Slow your rate of acceleration from lights and stop signs. Coast up to lights and turns instead of using gas all the way there and brakes at the last minute. If you have a bunch of crap in your trunk, take it out. Extra weight is not good for mpg. General maintenance is also required (filters, plugs, tire pressure, etc).