4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

My Recession Buster Engine Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

also, i pretty much didnt lose any noticeable amount of oil either, so no draw back other than having to cut into a brand new pan. Also if you decide to mod, be aware that keeping the drain plug area flush is of the utmost importance. In fact i couldnt reuse what they had, i ended up welding a nut on the back side. Then a washer to the front side, and grinding the washer flat after it was welded, it was the only way to get it back to leak free.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:34 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

thanks bman, i just checked out my setup and my oil pan sits about 1/8 to 1/4 inch higher than the k member. im running solid motor mounts, this may be the difference? what motor mounts are you running?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

poly mounts. thats good to know you wont have to worry about that. then again that could also be k member design? dunno, i thought it was weird it sat so low too, just didnt think it would ever be a problem.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:24 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

could be the k member and/or motor mount combo. but thanks for the heads up, glad i can keep an eye on it during assembly
Old 04-09-2012, 11:29 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

little update, motor going in friday! finally! plus some pics of goodies i picked up....

THIS should be coming in soon!

Old 04-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Justfloatn

I just wanted to chime in and say I really like watching this build. I have read the MHS article and have been thinking it would be fun to build just to see what kind of numbers I get. And then searching around I found your build.

A couple of questions.
Who ported your heads? Hand or CNC?
Valve size stock, .5mm or 1.0mm over.
And you stated you "need" to use a stage III or larger due to the compression. I can't find that fact in the MHS write up. Is this an assumption or do you have more information you could share.

Thanks,
Derrick
Old 04-11-2012, 04:59 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Thanks man, its been a fun build! a local guy in Danville Ky ported them for me. he mostly does 5.0 pushrod motors but he dips in the modular way every now and again. the first set of pi heads he ported made 330 rwhp with hightech stage 2 cams and longtubes throgh a 5 speed(basic bolt ons also). he hand ports all his heads btw. thhe valve size is factory. on the whole stage III cam thing, its more of what the specs are on the cam. the comp 270's are very close to nick mckinny's mhs cams he used in his build. this much compression requires a larger cam. i beleive it helps with static compression i beleive. i understand why the larger cam is used but i cant really explain very well. hope nick comes in here.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:22 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

finally got work done on the ol' paper weight:
motor and tranny in
mm a arms in with mm coil overs.
new 03 cobra steering rack with mm solid/adjustable bushings
steeda stay bar with new bushings and end links

been working on the rzr and this old 86

Old 08-19-2012, 03:43 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

finally got this back together after a snag and got the first startup today. granted the cai wasnt hooked up, the car started first try and idled with the s/c tune and the 39# injectors. the only problem we had was the the oil pessure sensor leaked through the plastic connector. go figure. going to try to button this thing up, motor and exhaust wise, this week.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:42 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

all the engine buttoned up and almost ready for a tune! just need the seats put in, and the irs php toe links put on.
Name:  IMG_0653.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  201.9 KB

Quick Reply: My Recession Buster Engine Build