4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Car is going to see some transformation!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 08:55 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Default Car is going to see some transformation!

I'm about to pay off my car next month(Feb 3rd,) and Will be buying a DD shortly there after. With this coming up, I want to start collecting parts, and from the research I've been doing I've come to be on the fence about EXACLTY what I want to do. So here are the two builds I'm stuck between.

Note** Decided to wait to install long tubes, until the motor is out for the build.

Choice #1.
Stock crank, Forged Rods and Pistons(Either MMR, or ModMax) W/11-11.5:1 CR, Get my heads cleaned up, and run MHS Stage II cams, W/ 100 Shot. Lt's and 3.73's. I think a BAP and 24lb/hr. Injectors will supply enough fuel)

Choice #2
Stock crank, Forged Rods and Pistons(Either MMR or ModMax) W/ 9.5:1 CR, get my heads cleaned up, and run MHS stage 1 blower cams, and an S-trim. Lt's and 3.73s. (I think I'll have to upgrade pumps, and run like 30lb/hr Injectors)

**Both Motors Will be balanced**

Which one do you guys think will be more fun? I kinda like option number 1 because I don't think I'll need QUITE the fuel system that option 2 will require because of how nitrous shares the fuel from the fuel rails. It's also kind of more of an "underdog" until she is hit with the giggle gas. Plus I don't need the power of the blower EVERY SINGLE time I drive the car.

I know alot of you will say to just use factory internals(Looking for roughly 400 on spray or via S-trim) However, I want to avoid Catastrophic failure, and I can install the rods, and pistons my self with 0 issues, so at that point, It's a few extra bucks to feel confident.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:45 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Run the blower, if you get a centri under normal driving conditions it will be like its not even there. (well you can hear it but you know what i mean). Nitrous you have to refill, you will however obviously see more torque.

And IMO you will need just as good of a fuel system for both options instead of less for option #1. Especially if you think you are ever going to want to get bigger jets. I would recommend going svt focus atleast for nitrous as well as the blower just to be safe becuase if the fuel pump fails you will be in trouble. Its better to be safe then sorry especially with fuel systems

Last edited by dwtjr3; 01-17-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:18 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Actually lemme ask you this, what is the purpose of you doing these mods? Are you planning on racing your car in bracket racing or something like that? Or is it just going to be a fun car? I would say if you are going to bracket race then the giggle gas but if you want it to be a fun street car you dont want to go thru refilling bottles do you? Blower is prolly more fun for the street.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:36 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Car will be a fun street car, and only see the ocassional friday night "run what ya brung" strip time... I like the idea of spray for the extra torque as well.. No intensions of racing an event.. Just gonna be the weekend nice weather cruiser.

DW, your auto right? Have you done any mods to your tranny? How does it seem to be holding up? Any slipping etc?
Old 01-17-2012, 06:47 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Best advice youll ever get -
Get a forged and cammed bank account. Save your money. Believe me, when you need it the most, the last thing youll be thinking about is whether you need forged rods or not.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:36 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

^ very true

And thats what my stang is now just a nice weather cruiser but i am auto trans. And for my trans no slipping as of now i did have a problem when i first put the blower on, but realized it was because my tuner accidentally put my shift point to 7200! but i fixed that very easily and no slipping at all.

And what i have done to it is a shift kit (was on the car when i got it and installed by ford so it is some type of ford shift kit) i plan to change the shift kit whenever i do a torque converter. But as of now just a shift kit, and i adjusted the shift firmness thru my handhels, and a trans cooler is going on soon trans shifts well and smooth and no problems here yet.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:21 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I keep a nice savings in the bank, along with having the second car, so if something were to catastrophically happen. The car may sit for a while, but I'll have a start to be able to put it together, and a way to get to work on monday.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:54 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Im the same way as you jtb, a savings for saving, savings for car, and checking for everyday stuff. As well as a 2nd car so i save money but have play money at the same time.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:11 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

It's the best way to fly.. Keeps the stress low, and the fun care free Being in college, the old man says if I stay in school, he'll keep the roof over my head.. so my bills become car insurance, cell phone, gas, and than whatever I need except for rent(clothes, dinner out, etc). $25.00 bi-weekly for retirement(Waiting for benefits from a job) (I'm paying for my own college.) He tells me I should take advantage and build my car while I have the extra cash to play with, and while he is young enough to help me use it up so he doesn't have to go buy a corvette! haha.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:00 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

^ dude me n you have like the exact same situation haha. My dad told me aslong as i am passing he will let me stay home for free and he is paying 3/4 of college for me. And he always tells me do whatever you wana do while you have the chance. Which is why in the last year ive added cams, LT's, Blower and all the other mods, and thats why i am going to mustang week this july as well. I love having some of the freedom with money like i do

Quick Reply: Car is going to see some transformation!