4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

99 Cobra now what

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:29 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Default 99 Cobra now what

So this is the 2nd Mod motor Mustang I have own the first 2v with bolt ons and gears great looking car it was a Cobra clone sold it made $1000 in a few weeks. Fast forward a couple years and I picked up a 99 Cobra always wanted one. thinking the 4V was gone to be all that well again not real impressed I got it cheap and it needs paint work but the short block is new and it has a Teksid and a Extra one came with it.
Guys I just cant seem to grow a liking to the Mod Motors now shove a push rod turbo engine in it and that is what I think it needs. As I love the body style the 99 to 04 are the best I think. Just don't know what to do here other then sell it and stay with my Fox's. Any thought on how to bring me around or is it gone to happen? is there any getting use to the Mod Motors after running push rods all my life? really they just seem gut less..
Old 01-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Do you have a question or just dissapointed with your power output?

I don't know how we are going to talk you into keeping a car it doesn't sound like you want

Jazzer
Old 01-17-2012, 09:18 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

What did u expect to pick ip a 500rwhp car for a couple grand???? Of course its not gonna be anywhere near a turboed small block. And your old 2v was only making 260ish rwhp so that as well isnt gonna feel like a turbo smallblock either.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:46 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Do you have a question or just dissapointed with your power output?

I don't know how we are going to talk you into keeping a car it doesn't sound like you want

Jazzer
yes I am a bit dissapointed. How hard are you guys reving theses thing? What are some tips on picking up some power. Dont get me wrong I love the way the car handles and with paint it will have eyes I love this body style. It is just the lack of torque I guess that I am not feeling. I know the heads are some of the best there is bar none. suggestions on gears? That I am sure will help but I dont want to kill it on the highway.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:52 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
What did u expect to pick ip a 500rwhp car for a couple grand???? Of course its not gonna be anywhere near a turboed small block. And your old 2v was only making 260ish rwhp so that as well isnt gonna feel like a turbo smallblock either.
LOL that would have been nice.. I did think there would be more in it feeling wise then the old 2v we had being it is 4v but it just dont feel that good maybe when I start tuning on it it will come around so. Then again if I keep it I guess a YSI S/C would help things out..I just maybe looking for more then what is really there. I know it will not be my turbo car TRUST ME ON THAT!! But it really dont feel much better then my sons stock 95 GTS and it is a auto. with a cold air kit
Old 01-17-2012, 11:12 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uedlose
LOL that would have been nice.. I did think there would be more in it feeling wise then the old 2v we had being it is 4v but it just dont feel that good maybe when I start tuning on it it will come around so. Then again if I keep it I guess a YSI S/C would help things out..I just maybe looking for more then what is really there. I know it will not be my turbo car TRUST ME ON THAT!! But it really dont feel much better then my sons stock 95 GTS and it is a auto. with a cold air kit
are you sure everything is ok with the cobra then? lol. its hard to believe that
Old 01-17-2012, 11:23 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

The cobra has almost 100 horesepower on the 95gt if you cant tell the difference than its all inthe gearing.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:23 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like either there is something wrong with the cobra or maybe your butt dyno is broken? lol
Old 01-17-2012, 02:54 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by speedkills
Sounds like either there is something wrong with the cobra or maybe your butt dyno is broken? lol
^+1 LOL
I know when I went from my old 2v to my 4v I felt a huge difference in my car.The 4v revs so much qiucker.

Last edited by jeh4269; 01-17-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:54 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

*** dyno has been off before it is a bit on the conservative side most of the time unless I have a few beers then it wow that was fast LOL. The only code it is kicking is a ECM code something about it not being right I will have to get it again but I was thinking it maybe kicking that due to the tune that is in it. But I could be very wrong on this I am not real up on the newer OBD2 and performance. I will get the son over here and we will race and see how much I am off.
Really there very well could be something wrong and I am sure the tune is off some. I know it is a new short block with Manley piston 03 Cobra cams and good exhaust with no cats but still the stock shorty headers the car was set up for a S/C so I am not real sure on the compression it is a MMR 750 rotating assembly and the block was deck and aline bored then everything was balanced. it has a stock T/B and a PMAS that was blow through but other then that I think the rest is stock. Not sure if it had any intake runner work but he said it did have the fix done. my sons GTS is also kind of a freak car it did run like 14.0s which is good for that pig. with him driving.
So again how hard are you guys turning these thing I spun it up to like 5500/6000 rpm and it just felt like it went flat. I should be able to spin it up a bit more then that right? I guess I need a day at the track but that is not gone to happen as they are closed. guess I will be calling the boy for a late night meeting.

Quick Reply: 99 Cobra now what