4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

need help deciding what to do!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:24 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Default need help deciding what to do!

Alright here's my situation. I've got 80% of the parts i need for my forged motor, need bearings, oil pump, gaskets, a few misc bolts and such. figure about 700 to finish it all. plus another 500 for cams. What i've been thinking is put the new motor on hold, throw some cams in my 135k mile motor and see what it does with a 125 shot. otherwise i'd put the new motor in and do atleast a 150 shot.

but anyways, the main reason im wanting to do the current motor only cammed, is since i'm going to mustang week this year i need to start saving for that trip. if i cam the current motor i can build my rear end before the trip so i dont have to worry about that. I'd just be scared of the old 4.6 breaking while i was down there.

so what should i do homies?!?!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:43 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Keep current motor, cam, build rear and spray. Unless you have signs that the motor isn't going to hold up I'd say you'll be fine with a 125 shot on the stock block.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:51 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

I have no reason to believe my motor will die. it's starting to get some noise from the chain guides but i'd replace those while i was in there.

basically, i can cam my motor and build my rear end and worry about my shortblock, or cam my forged motor put that in and worry about my rear end.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

If you're going to be hooking I'd say your rear would be more likely to let go then your motor.

These motors can handle a 125 shot just fine.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

I would be much more worried about the motor breaking down then the rear end snapping. If the motor breaks down you are in a much worse place than if your rear end breaks. I personally would build the motor before building the rear end if you can't do both.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:30 PM
02mustangnewb
1st Gear Member

Cam the current motor.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:46 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Dude your going to mustang week too! I finally get to see your car too then. I am going down the week before mustang week and mustang week so ill be down there 2 weeks. I am hoping to have a few changes done to my car by then too ct so i know exactly what type of situation you are in

But IMHO you have had VERY good luck running nitrous so either you or whoever tunes your car knows how to tune, so i would say go ahead and cam you motor and spray it and see what it has. But if your car doent break or anything before mustang week i would try and take it somewhat easy down n myrtle because if you break down there the tow bill will be HUGE. But IMHO cam your motor and slowly put more money towards your forged motor whenever you can.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:53 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

well I'm going with my buddy, who is trailering his car. and if either of us break they're taking the trailer and the other cars doing nothing more than cruising to make sure neither of us have a tow bill.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:23 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

CT, you being an auto will greatly save your rear end.. With CAMS AND a 125, do you think your gonna be able to catch traction on the street? I'd be worried about MR. Rod coming to say hello. As DW has stated, luck has been with you thus far...
Old 01-28-2012, 12:48 AM
crash
BrandofPoop

Are you able to use the cam(s) [i always get confused] in your forged motor?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need help deciding what to do!