4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Horrible grinding noise from rear end... need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 05:43 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

you must of really jared that thing hard to push the k member back.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:46 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
you must of really jared that thing hard to push the k member back.
Yeah it had to have hooked in the asphalt, it was a solid hit for sure, but it is what it is I suppose. Alignment was fine and all that jazz and nothing is bent, I had it checked out. Just the front folded steel lip of the K-member but its not smashed in, its bent up so who knows. The bolts were pretty loose to be honest so I'm not surprised it slid, unless the hit loosened them. Car's been driving fine since right after and up until now, just has this noise. I've put it through it's paces too and it seems fine.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:47 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
could you maybe post a video and/or sound clip??
Not really. I was going to try, but my buddy could hardly hear it in person. If I get a chance I'll give it a shot but I don't think the camera will capture it, especially over the sound of the exhaust.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:56 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe393cid
Not really. I was going to try, but my buddy could hardly hear it in person. If I get a chance I'll give it a shot but I don't think the camera will capture it, especially over the sound of the exhaust.
Your "...buddy could hardly hear..." this "Horrible grinding noise from rear end..."?

Doesn't seem like it's all that horrible then...
Old 02-02-2012, 08:49 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Your "...buddy could hardly hear..." this "Horrible grinding noise from rear end..."?

Doesn't seem like it's all that horrible then...
Bad week Cliffy? Why all the obnoxious comments? Usually you have good input and help me out quite a bit. But anyway, yes he said he said it was hard to hear over the exhaust and everything. I guess being inside the car muffles the exhaust enough that you can hear a nasty sound. I just don't think I will be able to capture it enough inside the car for you guys to get a good feel for what it is.

You can have horrible noises that are hard to capture on camera. It's very easy to tell it's a metal on metal grinding, doesn't really matter how loud it is, that's bad and a horrible noise to hear. I don't know if I'll have anyone around this weekend to help me out but if I do I'll give it a shot and see how the vid comes out.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:57 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

in the OP's defense, my gears whine pretty loud on the inside of the vehicle, but I have yet to hear them on the outside (while I was driving another vehicle), nor have any of my friends heard it... Just sayin..
Old 02-03-2012, 03:39 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe393cid
Bad week Cliffy? Why all the obnoxious comments? Usually you have good input and help me out quite a bit. But anyway, yes he said he said it was hard to hear over the exhaust and everything. I guess being inside the car muffles the exhaust enough that you can hear a nasty sound. I just don't think I will be able to capture it enough inside the car for you guys to get a good feel for what it is.

You can have horrible noises that are hard to capture on camera. It's very easy to tell it's a metal on metal grinding, doesn't really matter how loud it is, that's bad and a horrible noise to hear. I don't know if I'll have anyone around this weekend to help me out but if I do I'll give it a shot and see how the vid comes out.
As a matter of fact it was, and I apologise for ruffling feathers--I have found that my condition is going downhill--makes a lot of things seem unimportant, guess I'll stay away for a while...
Old 02-03-2012, 05:15 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by cliffyk
As a matter of fact it was, and I apologise for ruffling feathers--I have found that my condition is going downhill--makes a lot of things seem unimportant, guess I'll stay away for a while...
What condition? Hope all is well Cliff.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:04 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
What condition? Hope all is well Cliff.
+1 Cliff man, whats up? I knew something was off. Maybe it would help to talk about it? If not I completely understand. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you wanna get anything out. No need to apologize it's all good.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:22 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Whatever is going on CLIFFY we are all hoping it turns out well for you!!!
You are the best asset we have on this forum.

Quick Reply: Horrible grinding noise from rear end... need some help