4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Thinking about Selling the Steed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:43 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Default Thinking about Selling the Steed.

Whats goin on boys?

So I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and a little reading.. I am 100% getting a DD truck(simple, 4cyl 5spd. single cab ) but I kind of want to do a foxbody.. Everyone I talk to says they are much easier to work on, and that they can build them HP for HP much cheaper...

I'm compemplating selling my car and using the money to pay for a beater DD, and than keeping my eyes peeled for a fox, and just putting money away.

The car would be strictly a weekend car. Did some quick searches on the on3 turbo kits, or maybe a nice nitrous setup. I would really love to build a motor, and pushrod motors seem so simple...(yes I know suspension and the rest of the drivetrain will need attention.) Am I making a mistake with the thought of a Drag Styled Fox?(Strip suspension, Bigs N littles, simplicity on the interior). How cheap are they to really get parts for?

What are the chances I'll be kicking myself if I do this?? This 2v just isnt putting much of a smile on my face anymore.. not to mention I just had to put a tranny in it... :'( Case of the car mumps?

Just an idea thats been in my head for about a month now.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Why dont you build the 2v. There is a decent size aftermarket for the 2v
Old 02-02-2012, 07:10 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Rock, I've thought about it.. I would like to have about 450-470ishRWHP or equivalent to a high 11 second car.. something that is just a toy, that I cango out and just let 'er rip!

My car is an automatic.. I just put a trans in it... I regret buying an automatic EVERY SINGLE DAY... and I would never build a toy from one... But now that I've got the new auto, I think it would be dumb to spend the cash to do a 5spd. swap...

I like my car, but wish every day that it was a 5spd.. Maybe I'll start collecting the parts for a swap..

However, I've always liked fox's and they just seem so simple. People build pretty stout set-ups and alot of people say they can be built nice and cheap.

I've had the fox idea for about a month or so, and I am pretty down on my car right now with the problems I had with transgo, and than worrying it was a coincidental thing I ended up just putting a trans in the thing and I spent about 700 bucks to do nothing but swap a stock trans for a stock trans.. and the new one likes to kick out of OD, but does it seldomly and for the work to pull it again.. I'll just live with it.

Last edited by jtb727; 02-02-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

well you're looking for something to drag with and you already have an Auto so thats a win win there for a "track toy". Ive heard the 5.0 blocks are only good for like 500 rwhp then they have a habit of splitting so that 470 rwhp goal puts you close to that. have you considered a blower on a 2v? if you go the centri route in can be on the cheaper side http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ower-cost.html
Old 02-02-2012, 08:30 PM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Keep the car, build it up and just get a reliable DD. If you end up making it a strip car the auto will be much more benefitial. I love my 5 speed, but honeslty sometimes I hate it. Shifting gets old from light to light.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:18 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtb727
Rock, I've thought about it.. I would like to have about 450-470ishRWHP or equivalent to a high 11 second car.. something that is just a toy, that I cango out and just let 'er rip!

My car is an automatic.. I just put a trans in it... I regret buying an automatic EVERY SINGLE DAY... and I would never build a toy from one... But now that I've got the new auto, I think it would be dumb to spend the cash to do a 5spd. swap...

I like my car, but wish every day that it was a 5spd.. Maybe I'll start collecting the parts for a swap..

However, I've always liked fox's and they just seem so simple. People build pretty stout set-ups and alot of people say they can be built nice and cheap.

I've had the fox idea for about a month or so, and I am pretty down on my car right now with the problems I had with transgo, and than worrying it was a coincidental thing I ended up just putting a trans in the thing and I spent about 700 bucks to do nothing but swap a stock trans for a stock trans.. and the new one likes to kick out of OD, but does it seldomly and for the work to pull it again.. I'll just live with it.
I have a entire 5 speed swap if you are interested. But i love my auto, especially now that i have a blower. I am really excited to get a converter one day then itll be even more fun
Old 02-02-2012, 09:45 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Either way it will never be " A STRIP ONLY CAR", and would be driven once or twice a month.More for like cruising with local guys to shows, or going out toying around on a friday night... This is my first automatic car and it drives me nuts. haha

I will be getting a daily driver soon hopefully(waiting to see what my tax returns look like, and hoping I dont have to pay)..

and I guess I will than decide exactly what I need to do...
Old 02-04-2012, 09:47 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

I know what you're goin through man! My car was giving me all types of problems w/ my new motor. Tune issues, coils failing, and just not being as fast as i want. I just decided that I would get more out of it if i just kept it since i had already put a new motor in it and could probably sell the motor for more than the car haha. Plus i've had the car since i was 13 (almost 8 years) so in reality it would have killed me to let her go.

If you haven't invested a TON of money and time into your car and aren't that attached to it...i don't see why you couldn't get a new car. It's your car and if you want something new...then do it! I mean yea you could get a blower for your car...2k (ish) for a USED kit. Fuel pump Then a tune...then you'll have your 400 hp.

It's all really up to you i say. If you can find a DD and a good foxbody for cheap...and a foxbody is what you really want...do it. Foxes are awesome cars and like you said they are easier to work on and you can find a lot of em w/ 347s or w/e already in em..which is nice.

In the end you just need to be happy w/ your car..w/e car it is.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:30 AM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtb727

lol, I thought about doing a 6 speed swap but now that I have a built up auto with a nice valvebody and a 3800 stall converter, I love it. Its great with the boost and really does work at the track. If you make over 400 rwhp with an auto and a nice converter you should have no problems going mid to high 11s

2vs just suck without boost....

I would either a) swap to a pushrod car or b) boost the 2v.

Dont try to make power NA with a 2v, it sucks.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:18 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

i know where your comin from man. my gt just wasnt doin it for me anymore, even with a built motor and vortech kit sitting in the garage. i just bought a cobra instead lmao.

Quick Reply: Thinking about Selling the Steed.