4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

2000 mustang GT abs light always on :(

Old 02-05-2012, 01:02 AM
custom00gt

Angry 2000 mustang GT abs light always on :(

wondering if anyone one has any ideas.... My 00 gt abs light is always on, as soon as I put the key to the on position the dam abs light is on & stays on.. the abs is NOT working "thankfully I stop in just enough time" but when the roads are slick and I'm coming to a stop everything is fine until I'm just about at a complete stop my brakes lock up ... my boyfriend has a cheaper scanner so I already know that hasn't done me any good. I am doing everything I can to stay away from the deal there is one last shop I will be trying but before I do I was wondering if anyone knew about this issue.. the light on the dash wouldn't bother me if I knew my brakes worked 100% but I'm not looking to smash my custom painted car anytime soon so this issue really needs to be fixed for as little money as possible...

I have another issue with the way it is running after many parts & everyone who has any mechanical knowledge looking at it I still can not resolve the issue of how s***ty it has been running kinda feels like a misfire or I have a cam @ idle which neither is the case after numerous parts like coils, spark plugs, tps, iac, mass air flow sensor, fuel injector professional cleaning and i'm sure there's a few I have forgotten I can not get this thing to run right... I have heard it could be my intake, hoping if it is a gasket replacement will solve it if not guess I'll be purchasing a new intake manifold (FML) any advise on which kind I should go with if it is?? I did a little browsing not looking to put another $600+ into a aluminum one but I not looking to replace it in the future because I went the cheap way.. so are the after market ones like "Ford Racing Performance Improvement Intake Manifold" worth the $170 or is it better to invest in an aluminum one??? The car is pretty much stock but it will be mine forever & some...

I appreciate the advice!!
Old 02-05-2012, 08:57 AM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

The ford racing one will be fine. You should really determine if it is a misfire or a vacuum leak instead of throwing parts on the car and hoping they will work. They are very different and have a different response.

I don't know what a cam feels like at idle. Does the car sound like it's cammed at idle (may be a misfire) or is your car vibrating a lot at idle (may be a vacuum leak).
Old 02-05-2012, 11:48 AM
CobraFrenzy
3rd Gear Member

If its a miss fire it def should be throwin a code.. Take it to advance out or somthin and hav someone run your codes.. Might narrow down the problems
Old 02-06-2012, 06:52 AM
custom00gt

Default definitively more like a misfire

I have a obd-2 scanner with the abs option but it's not advanced enough to tell me (I guess) there is no light besides the abs on the dash & no codes will come up... took it to a family friend mechanic but they have a similar scanner (couldn't get anything off it either) I'm not putting any more $$ into any more parts until I know for sure what my issue is.. I had a really great hook up so the parts I bought weren't a big deal since that hook up is gone I figured get what I can while I can since the car will be mine forever hopefully those parts won't go out for a long time I'm working on getting in contact with a mechanic that hopefully has a more advance scanner... the other guys told me I need a scanner that specializes in ford to tell me & well I'm not spending over 1k to buy that but I'm just trying not to get raped from the dealer.. It feels like a mis-fire kinda hard to put into words but at idle the rpms are going too low & back up it will start a lil over 1 & drop down about 1/2 way then bounce up on its own... I don't have mufflers & have been told that maybe why this is happening... I don't believe that because I took them off the week after I bought the car back in 09/05 don't drive it through winter & these issues started I'd say back in spring of 2010

well thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:18 AM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

Mufflers won't mean anything. It could be a vacuum leak, just get a gauge check the pressure. The other thing is it could be IAC and you could maybe get a cheap one from advanced auto or one of those outlets. Or try cleaning the IAC. There's a write up somewhere and you can use that as a guide. I wouldn't advise driving the car around if you have a misfire.

Or post a video of what the sound is and your rpm's jumping. Maybe that will help more. If the cars not vibrating really bad, it probably isn't a vacuum leak.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:53 PM
custom00gt

Default UPDATE

I replaced the IAC already... no difference... there is no codes I took it to a great mechanic & he can't even tell me 100% what it is he thinks it's something to do with the spark and maybe cylinder 5... I have replaced all the coils & spark plugs within the past year & haven't driven the car since November... he said it is an intermittent mis-fire, maybe a coil/spark plug or the fuel injector was possibly going out... so yet again I'm at a complete stand still (waste more $$ on what it might be or drive it like it is mis-firing & running shi**y) no one can tell me oh for sure it's this so wtf do I do... I've replaced everything that has something to do with the spark & I had that professional injector cleaning done to it last November it made a very slight difference but no where near perfect...

idk if I should get new coils & plugs maybe better the motorcraft stock one's, I have very good spark plug in it but have wanted to upgrade to the iridium's.. try the $90 injector cleaner again the mechanic told me ford injectors don't need to pretty much ever be replaced but I may need the cleaning again since I never did it.. the car is pretty much stock has 109k on it, it's driven 6 months a year & I paid way too much/can't afford to sell it...

anyone heard of the DRAGON FIRE PERFORMANCE IGNITION COIL ON PLUG? are they better than stock/ worth investing in? I don't have a lot of $$ to shell out so the msd's are pretty much out of the question.. but wtf here I am in the same position going on 2yrs with no difference & wasting more more $$ on what maybe not what is since I can't get a dam check engine lite... sounds pretty screwed up but I never wish I had an engine light com on so badly
Old 02-06-2012, 09:12 PM
rizzo2012

You should pull your plugs out and inspect. That should give you an idea of which cylinder has the problem and what that problem may be depending on how the plug looks. Hey, it does not cost anything except maybe a spark plug socket and some time.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:06 PM
custom00gt

Question DRAGON FIRE PERFORMANCE IGNITION COIL worth the money??

Thanks for all the help guys it's very much appreciated!!!

has anyone heard of the DRAGON FIRE PERFORMANCE IGNITION COIL ON PLUG?

are they worth buying over stock one's they are on ebay all eight (heavy duty) for the price of what 2 would cost me... I can't afford the MSD's or ACCEL's & they claim to be better than stock/heavy duty & fu** for the price I can't go wrong if they are what they say they are... I made the mistake of buying crappy one's from auto zone in the past trying to save $40 costed me $120 when I had to buy the better one a week later cuz my car was running so shi*** the dam cheap coil couldn't handle the V8 :/
Old 02-07-2012, 07:14 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Too drunk too read giant posts... But I've heard wheel sensors going bad can create an ABS light

(fwiw I have had mine on for a few weeks... Not too worried)
Old 02-07-2012, 11:26 PM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by custom00gt
Thanks for all the help guys it's very much appreciated!!!

has anyone heard of the DRAGON FIRE PERFORMANCE IGNITION COIL ON PLUG?

are they worth buying over stock one's they are on ebay all eight (heavy duty) for the price of what 2 would cost me... I can't afford the MSD's or ACCEL's & they claim to be better than stock/heavy duty & fu** for the price I can't go wrong if they are what they say they are... I made the mistake of buying crappy one's from auto zone in the past trying to save $40 costed me $120 when I had to buy the better one a week later cuz my car was running so shi*** the dam cheap coil couldn't handle the V8 :/
Never heard of them, but have you at least checked your spark plugs before you start throwing money at coils? They may look funny and it will be an easy way to tell if something is wrong.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 mustang GT abs light always on :(