4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cold air intakes..

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

What is the difference between the $30.00 filter and the $60 K&N filter in this link?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-jfab1Zajem7
Old 02-13-2012, 10:54 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by aschroeger
What is the difference between the $30.00 filter and the $60 K&N filter in this link?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-jfab1Zajem7
One is a $30 "polyester/cotton gauze in a wire frame, soaked in snake-oil product" from a lesser known manufacturer; the other is a $60 "polyester/cotton gauze in a wire frame, soaked in snake-oil product" from a better known manufacturer...
Old 02-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
One is a $30 "polyester/cotton gauze in a wire frame, soaked in snake-oil product" from a lesser known manufacturer; the other is a $60 "polyester/cotton gauze in a wire frame, soaked in snake-oil product" from a better known manufacturer...
Like paying for the Swoosh on my Nike's.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2012, 09:36 AM
nick02stanggt
1st Gear Member

i have a bbk cold air intake on my 02gt i love it love da sound n accel is better with it. 2 make it meaner sounding go wit an slp loudmouth exhaust
Old 02-19-2012, 11:18 AM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

LOL
If you put Loudmouth mufflers on it, you'll never hear any induction noise, or most of the other noises your car makes.

For induction noise, you would probably do best with an open filter located under the hood. However, drawing warm air from the engine compartment will reduce power.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:03 PM
mathesar

Well between the 15% restocking fee + shipping cost back across the US I decided to keep the JLT, plus I still had the bit of curiosity as to if I would actually notice any difference.. (im also a bit stubborn and had already ordered it before seeing this thread).

I installed it a couple days ago and other than some difficulty with the rubber reducing elbow (the instructions warned it was going to be a tight fit and even mentions microwaving the part for 20 seconds and using soapy water, which I ended up doing) plus the final steps of installing the air filter (jack up car, peel back fender skirt, not much room to work with in there) I can honestly say after driving the car for 4 years and being used to the way it runs / accelerates etc. the JLT definitely had an effect on the throttle response, the car responds quicker when lightly pressing the gas than it did before.

I can't say it did a whole lot to the WOT acceleration but it seems to of improved it at least a little bit, from what Ive read around online guess I need to look into buying a tuner.

Plus it does look nice under the hood, I would show a pic but I really need to clean my engine compartment first

Anyhow just figured I would give some feedback.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:45 PM
KLOPSICLE

I would go with the JLT series 3 intake with a tune mine works great. With just that and axel backs i was running 13.255 in the 1/4.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:57 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by mathesar
Well between the 15% restocking fee + shipping cost back across the US I decided to keep the JLT, plus I still had the bit of curiosity as to if I would actually notice any difference.. (im also a bit stubborn and had already ordered it before seeing this thread).

I installed it a couple days ago and other than some difficulty with the rubber reducing elbow (the instructions warned it was going to be a tight fit and even mentions microwaving the part for 20 seconds and using soapy water, which I ended up doing) plus the final steps of installing the air filter (jack up car, peel back fender skirt, not much room to work with in there) I can honestly say after driving the car for 4 years and being used to the way it runs / accelerates etc. the JLT definitely had an effect on the throttle response, the car responds quicker when lightly pressing the gas than it did before.

I can't say it did a whole lot to the WOT acceleration but it seems to of improved it at least a little bit, from what Ive read around online guess I need to look into buying a tuner.

Plus it does look nice under the hood, I would show a pic but I really need to clean my engine compartment first

Anyhow just figured I would give some feedback.
I told you above that of all of them out there the JLT (CAI, not that silly "Ram Air" HAI) was "probably the best"...

The perceived "performance gain" is likely due to the change in the intake sound, however it does look very "trick"...
Old 02-19-2012, 08:25 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

The debate over JLT CAI will go on forever, but I would be certain that it isn't hurting the airflow in your car.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:51 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

^+1, The JLT will not hurt performance--there are a bunch of them out there that do...

Quick Reply: Cold air intakes..