4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Need a bit more hp

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:18 PM
demighost
2nd Gear Member

Default Need a bit more hp

Sup all, My bro-in-law just bought a 2012 5.0 w/ 3.73. My mods are in sig. I dyno'd over 400 hp but tuner pulled back timing for safety so not sure on the real number bust i est 380-390.. Anyway I've had the car like this for over a year and a half, and need to beef it up a bit to keep up with the 5.0 once it starts getting modded.

I know I am pushing it with the psi, but shes been driven hard this past year and a half and no problems yet.. I've been out of the performance seen for a while since I have been satisfied, So I am not sure what I can do to squeeze extra power out of my build. So I turn to you MFer's what can I do? I cant do a built motor at this time as I am getting married in may. And my motor has just over 46k on it.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

depends on the budget.. blower cams would probably be easiest/cheapest
Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 PM
demighost
2nd Gear Member

I was just looking at MHS stage 2 blower cams. Im trying to gauge where that would put me hp wise
Old 02-13-2012, 09:41 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

After a tune to complement them, I would hope for abt 50rwhp, give or take. Whatever it is though, you probably shouldn't be shooting for much more than 450rwhp with stock internals
Old 02-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
depends on the budget.. blower cams would probably be easiest/cheapest
After a tune to complement them, I would hope for abt 50rwhp, give or take. Whatever it is though, you probably shouldn't be shooting for much more than 450rwhp with stock internals
Agree with both of these post completely over on MM there are guys who have picked up 50-60+ rwhp with blower cams mhs and hp292s. Blower cams should be the next move OP. And you still have an 150+lb advantage with that new edge.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:23 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I think trailor is right on the money here. I was thinking blower cams also. 45-50rwhp is a good bet on the gain. Yup, the stock bottom end is highly stressed at 450rwhp. Anything beyond ~425rwhp is pushing your luck.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:04 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

^+1 on the ~425 rwHP limit...

OP stated "I know I am pushing it with the psi, but shes been driven hard this past year and a half and no problems yet.."

A wise old racer told me once: "Things always go well, right up until they don't."
Old 02-14-2012, 04:14 PM
demighost
2nd Gear Member

Ahaha cliffyk.... So true. I do have plans for a built motor down the road, this car is about paid off and I'll be keeping her for the long haul. I'll get in contact with MHS and see what we can come up with.. I'm hoping the low mileage is a plus on pushing it past the limit... I will be doing some weight loss on her as well.. No need for those rear seats, and the front power seat never moves as it is so maybe some buckets to lighten her up a bit more.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:43 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by demighost
Ahaha cliffyk.... So true. I do have plans for a built motor down the road, this car is about paid off and I'll be keeping her for the long haul. I'll get in contact with MHS and see what we can come up with.. I'm hoping the low mileage is a plus on pushing it past the limit... I will be doing some weight loss on her as well.. No need for those rear seats, and the front power seat never moves as it is so maybe some buckets to lighten her up a bit more.
I wish you luck in your quest to overpower the bottom end of your motor. Wishful thinking may not be a great strategy in holding your motor together. Not to be a downer, but I really doubt that relatively low mileage will protect the bottom end from a high amount of stress. Running 500rwhp thru your stock bottom end may be a great strategy if you are looking for an excuse to build a new motor.

However, I think you may be heading in a better direction with the idea of fully utilizing the power you have now. Like reducing the weight and optimizing suspension to harness the power better.

GOOD LUCK either way!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:55 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

I think your best route would be suspension/sticky tires

Quick Reply: Need a bit more hp