4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

How or why did you choose your car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 02:11 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Default How or why did you choose your car?

Just bored here in physiology. My question for you guys is how did you come across your car? Why did you buy it? And what were your initial goals for the car?

I bought my Bullitt cuz my sixxer was totaled on Christmas night. I owed money for some things and had about 3k to play with. Working and going to school it took me 8 months to save up 7k to buy my car, I was saving almost 90% of each paycheck. I was initially going to buy a Mach but I was losing my patience. I was flaked on by a couple Mach owners and as well as a couple of roush owners. I trolled CL and came across a Bullitt. Looked ok In the pictures and had 56k miles on it. I went to check it out and I figured it need to be rescued from the owner. He wanted 10k but took 8k since he was having a kid. I wish it were a 4v but I love the Bullitt look. I almost traded it to Boduke when he had his Mach but there is a couple thousand miles between us. Anyways that's how I came across my B.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:13 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

My aunt drove by it one day, called and said I know these people, they're selling a car. Go look. Test drove it, negotiated price a little, and bought it. Great deal at the time.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Here's my story. Enjoy.

I'm not necessarily a 'Mustang' guy, but I am on my 4th one now. Been slowly climbing the Mustang ladder over the years. Back in '92 I bought my first, an '88 4-cylinder. I loved that one, was my first 'fun' car, even though it was just a stock 4-banger, drove it for years until the block cracked on me.

After that I had a Pontiac Sunfire for a few years. But then in '99 a friend of mine bought a black '99 Corvette from Carmax. He is the one that really turned me onto sports/pony cars. We went to get it serviced at Carmax one day, and wandered around the lot. We saw a black '98 Trans Am, and I made a pretty spontaneous decision to buy it. Partially to compete with my buddy's 'Vette, I admit...

Since then, I have definitely been a pony car lover. I drove that for 7 years and 175k miles. That car was a blast. When it finally started showing it's age, I traded it in for a black 04 Mustang GT convertible. That was my first convertible, and I haven't gone back. I am totally in love with top down driving. 2 years later I found a black 01 Cobra convertible. That was a GREAT car. I had it for about 3 years, and really the only thing I had even considered getting rid of it for was a Terminator.

I didn't go out of my way to find something, but I kept my eyes open for anything that showed up near me. So then this 04 Mystichrome convertible Cobra showed up at Carmax here. I went to see it and immediately fell in love with it. Then after driving it the decision was clear. They said I set a new sales record for them. The car had been on the website for 2 days but had apparently just been placed on the floor for actual sale about 15 minutes before I walked in. Nobody believed my salesman when he went to prep paperwork to sell it. This is the funnest car I've ever had by far. I can't imagine getting rid of it at this point, but I imagine one day down the road there will be something newer and better.

So I can't complain at all. In 20 years I have had 4 Mustangs, getting better each time...

Last edited by Schmalgar; 02-14-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Shredder505
2nd Gear Member

I got mine as my first car that I personally paid for, and I have always wanted a mustang. I found it after a few hours of searching through autotrader. A week later I went to take a look at it, test drove it and instantly fell in love with it. Two days later, the car was mine and I haven't regretted taking a year off and working before going to college just to pay for the car
Old 02-14-2012, 03:02 PM
millfire517
1st Gear Member

I was looking on CL and only had around 4-4500 to buy, found several high mile 99-2004 cars in that range but went super fast. I came across this one and it seemed pretty nice so I gave her 4300. If I knew then what I knew now I would have offered her less or passed on it. The alignment was shot which cost me a set of new tires, fuel tank grommet was rotted out which she never disclosed, and needed a new coolant expansion tank which I am sure she didn't know about. Car also has a rear axle seal leaking that I didn't catch till I took the rear tires off. Not to mention she failed to disclose it had a salvage title and I didn't notice that until she pulled away with my money, which is totally my fault for not noticing. All in all I have everything fixed except for a fuel pump which is going bad and replacing the axle seals which I should have done soon and the fuel pump will be replaced when I do the axle seals.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:59 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Well my story begins with my cousins mustang i was pretty young to know what was done to it, but i loved it. My dad wouldnt let me get a GT when I got my license at 17 so i got a V6, kept that for 3 months and then bought a GT with 72k miles, did the normal bolts ons and such and last summer after i turned 18 i supercharged it, and now here I am. It has 102k miles on it, but you wouldnt be able to tell and there hasnt been anything terrible wrong with it
Old 02-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

When I was 15, I bought my first car. Which was a silver 2000 mustang gt. About 2 months after having my license, I experienced driving in the rain for the first time. Didnt know cars would fish tail easily. So I went into a turn coming off of the freeway, and it fish tailed. I tried hitting the brake and my foot slipped off of the brake and onto the gas. In the end, I hit a speed limit sign, a tree and a wall. Car was totaled. So I used the insurance money and bought a 2007 f-150 with the 6 cylinder. I wasnt happy with it and wanted to do a 5.4 swap, but my parents said no, thinking that it was alot more work then it actually was. So I traded my dad vehicles and had a 2004 tahoe for about a year. Things started to break, muffler, turn signal, and door locks. I took my mom to a car electrical place and they estimated about $1500 to fix the electrical on it. She got scared and said it was time for a different vehicle. So I looked around for a mustang for about a week and my dad found my current mustang. I also found a mach1 with 25k on it, but my mom made me buy the gt because it only had 11k on it. In the end, I am happier I got the Gt. I dont feel bad when I modify it since there are so many of them. Reason I got a mustang is because I love this body style.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:04 PM
djd2392
2nd Gear Member

TO be honest idk why I chose my car because there were other mustangs out there that fit in my price range. Mine was pretty much pink when i got it, the paint had faded and oxidized badly. The windows had peeling window tint all over them. and it was just another mustang that needed work. But for some reason i fell in love haha
Old 02-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

it was a bargain
Old 02-14-2012, 05:31 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Color, had no idea 96-98's were turds

Quick Reply: How or why did you choose your car?