4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.
View Poll Results: Which shock set up?
Tokico D-Specs
33.33%
Tokico Illumina
0%
Bilstein HD's
66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D-Specs, Illumina or Bilstein HD's ????

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 06:21 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Question D-Specs, Illumina or Bilstein HD's ????

Ok I am ordering new shocks this week and need some help. I have researched all three brands and can't decide on which ones. So a little help. Car is daily driven about 80% highway and the rest street. Will never see a road course, but will see the strip on rare occassions. Currently have the H&R SS springs and MM CC plates. I can get each set for about the same price give or take a few bucks. Would like the opportunity to have them adjustable, but this is not necessary. Thanks for any input.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:36 AM
blkside
1st Gear Member

I am not a fan of Illuminas. I had one of the top collars (where upper nuts thread on) blow out on me. Material failure, so ever since it almost killed me, Ill pass. I have been looking into suspension and the Dspec seem to be pretty good...
Old 02-21-2012, 08:20 AM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Since it is a street driven vehicle that will never see track events, I'd go with the Bilsteins. They are a very high quality unit and will provide you with the damping you need for your set-up. You may be an exception, but many guys with adjustables don't know how to set them properly and the additional cost for adjustment is wasted. If you are serious about your passes at the 1/4, you may benefit a little from adjustables.

I don't think you would be disappointed if you went with the Bilsteins. Note: I run them myself.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:06 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I currently have the D specs. They're very nice and the adjustability is a big plus. I recently had them too firm and just one adjustment softer and they feel great and offer a very smooth ride quality for DD use. I'd highly suggest them.

I haven't used the other choices so I can't compare.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:43 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scooter3
Ok I am ordering new shocks this week and need some help. I have researched all three brands and can't decide on which ones. So a little help. Car is daily driven about 80% highway and the rest street. Will never see a road course, but will see the strip on rare occassions. Currently have the H&R SS springs and MM CC plates. I can get each set for about the same price give or take a few bucks. Would like the opportunity to have them adjustable, but this is not necessary. Thanks for any input.
For your purposes, and out of the ones you listed, I would recommend the Tokico D-Specs. They are a great set and should suit your needs perfectly. Let me know if I can help you out with those.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:54 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

I've never ran with the D-Specs. I've heard a lot of great things about them, but I love my bilsteins...

When i switched from tokico HP's to bilstein HD's, the car felt so much better. The ride quality significantly increased, i felt the road more while having more comfort (weird right?), and nosedive upon heavy breaking decreased drastically not to mention my car was much more responsive in the turns.

Love my bilsteins! I would never touch the adjustments on the dspecs once i tuned em to my liking. I'm not into that street set up track set up road course set up type thing