4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

It'll never happen....

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:08 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Default It'll never happen....

So hope you guys get a good laugh out of this.....

Back when I had all my body work done on the car, my dad asked, what happens if you're battery dies, how will get in the car? I said, I don't lock it much because it's almost always at a car show, in the garage, or somewhere I trust, so it won't matter if that happens.

Well today, as I am putting my bumper on, I turn the key to on to make sure the lights still work. Everything works, I disconnect battery and slam the hood shut - I'm done for now. Both doors were shut, and at some point while working I must have accidentally clicked the lock button on my wireless FOB. So now I'm panicking, because the battery is disconnected, I have NO key holes, and cannot reach up through the bottom of my car to reconnect the battery (yes I tried).

So next thought, check MF for someone else who did this. (found a few topics of keys locked in car and dead batteries, neither of which I had, haha). I tried a coat hanger for a little while - nothing. Next try was reaching through my grill trying to get the hood to pop.... No luck and may have busted the pony - we'll see if my fix holds or not.

Finally after taking a couple minutes to let off steam, I remember my trunk is partially open. I open it up look inside and see what I can do... I have a rear seat delete, but its bolted in. I got one bolt off and the other was just spinning because i had no resistance on the other side. So I couldn't pop that out to climb through. While doing that I had moved my amplifier and some of the wiring pulled out of it. I stared at it..... No, that can't work...... I'm effed anyway, let's try. Hooked up some jumpers to the power and ground cables from my amp, clicked the unlock button on my FOB, and click, the doors unlocked!!! You have no idea how relieved I was, haha.

Well that's my story from today! Hope you all had a better one!

Last edited by bopiela; 02-28-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Woodro

Ha! Very funny glad u got in without having to break anything
Old 02-28-2012, 10:37 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Lol, wow, now Bo, did you learn anything from this?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:42 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Crash,

I learned that I will be f&*^&% if my battery dies and I did lock my car. Ha ha.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:25 AM
trexflyer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bopiela
Hooked up some jumpers to the power and ground cables from my amp, clicked the unlock button on my FOB, and click, the doors unlocked!!!
That's a good one. I probably would've tried some reverse osmosis....or rubbing my feet on a piece of carpet hoping for a massive static discharge.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:06 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

I really want to shave the locks off of my car and the antenna one day but you've scared me now haha, glad you go in without breaking stuff, good idea on trying the amp tho
Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

now thats one hell of a story lol, good thinking tho bo
Old 02-29-2012, 08:12 AM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

If you shave the locks/handles its a good idea to run a manual cable somewhere hidden in a fender or something to pull on to open a door in that event.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:31 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

U can slimjim the passeger door on these cars like cake.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Can you install some kind of release underneath the car? Just as a last ditch access to the car that would either unlock or open the door?

Sure, its like leaving the house key under the mat but who'd be looking?

Quick Reply: It'll never happen....