4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Man, I feel like a fool/idiot...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 03:45 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Default Man, I feel like a fool/idiot...

I love my Mustang. It gets treated almost (almost) better than my wife of 12 years. I actually puppy my Mustang so much, my friends give me **** about it. Say I drive it like a grandma driving her Buick to get groceries. I'm no stranger to a rare burnout or two though and mostly high speed cornering has really wore the tires down.

Other day, Im going to pick up my daughter from school. Its a rather nice day (sunny, upper 40's) and decide to take Mustang. On the corner at the end of my block, they just built a new auto parts store. Advanced Auto Parts. Brand new building, new parking lot, new curbs. One of my close buddies just got a job there as assistant manager.

So, I'm off to get daughter. I get to the corner and see my bro standing outside work with a couple other employees. I thought, good time for a "little" show. Traffic was low, so why not. I turn corner in 1st gear, get up to about 2000 rpm's, stab the clutch and hit the gas. Instant tire roasting began. I grab 2nd and nail it. Before I could blink my eyes, I was damn near 90 degrees sideways. Headed straight for that brand new curb. One would think they would of rounded the edges to the curbs, but no. Sharp 90 degree edges.

Well, I hit the curb with (what felt like in the car) tremendous force on both passenger side tires, front and rear. Instantly blowing out the front. I actually caught the curb that is part of the entrance to store. I regain control, turn next corner, and limp back to my garage. Hop in my crappy van and proceed to get daughter. Feeling like total crap. Not even enough time to inspect for damage.

By the time I get back, my rear passenger tire is low. I jack her up and remove front tire, noticing some major curb rash on outside edge of rim. On inside rim lip, there is a huge dent. Big enough that the tire bead will never seat. Front rim is screwed.

So I proceed to remove rear tire. There is just a small spot of curb rash on outside edge. But on the inside of rear wheel, same thing. Big dent. Not as bad, but enough that it was causing a slow leak. Rear rim is also screwed. Man, what an idiot I am. Luckily the curb was only a 4 inch and didn't hit front lower clip. I inspected for any other damage and so far, I think I got lucky. I concocted a story to tell wife that I had a flat and tried driving home. When I hit a set of railroad tracks, it bent my rim. She bought it and I quit talking about it.

On the plus side, I was already planning a wheel/tire purchase via American Muscle. 315's and 10.5's. Just waiting for some funds to clear into my PayPal account. Ordering this week. Now my plan is to move my good rear driver side wheel to the passenger side front. 315's in the rear.

I have felt like total horse doo doo since this happened. So, is there a moral to this story? Feel free to let me know. I can't feel any worse. Maybe if I hear a few of your idiotic mishaps, I wont feel so bad. My friends thought I drove like a grandma before? Just freaking wait...

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I know its not tech, figured it was general discussion of an idiot...
Old 03-04-2012, 04:15 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Even the best drivers wreck bro just understand what you did wrong and don't do it next time
Old 03-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

totally agree with BD. Also it could have been alot worse!
Old 03-04-2012, 04:26 PM
CobraFrenzy
3rd Gear Member

Ya couldn't of hit another car lol I feel your pain im sure we all hav are " embarrassing moments "
Old 03-04-2012, 04:45 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Serious idea... get out to a few autox and brush up on the driving skills. A nice controlled place to get used to sliding the car a bit is good for anyone. Next time, you may be able to simply drive thru the situation without the wreck.

LOL I'm completely with you on the story for the wife
Old 03-04-2012, 04:54 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

its all good, plus you get the 315's now too.

i agree with trueblue too, my friend and his parents are in the porsche club of America and they hold events like auto x's and stuff, so i went to a car control clinic with them because you if you are part of the club you can bring a friend so i went with my friend and they had a slalom, skidpad, and a braking exercise. i have to say its a lot of fun and helps you learn how to control your car, fun time
Old 03-04-2012, 06:01 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Something to think about...
You should check out your strut and tie rod end. I had a similar experience, except mine was caused by an idiot in a big SUV running a red light, and while my rim actually survived, it messed up the strut and tie rod end on that side.
I'm sure there are other things on the front end and also the rear end that should be given a very good going over.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:26 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

IMO things like this are good one way. Noone was hurt and by your verbage it sounds like you've learned a little lesson. It's happened to me and probably every other musclecar owner that's ever lived. Get the new tire/wheel combo you've been wanting and keep on rockin'.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:30 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

I was having to wait for some funds to clear into my PayPal account before ordering my 315's and the 10.5's. Well, I noticed today that the Hypercoated 10.5 Bullitt's are on sale for a ridiculous price of 79.99 each. Told this to wife, and threw in (while supplies last), she quickly upped her credit card. Even though it didn't really say this. I'm such a bad husband.

Not sure on the Hypercoated wheels. Even though my stock wheels were thoroughly sanded, 2 coats self etching primer, 2 coats wheel paint black, with 4 coats of clear. My new 10.5 wheels will be painted black to match.

I would most definitely get into some sort of autocross. Although we don't have anything like that around here in "Cornheaven" Illinois. I was always good at throwing cars sideways upon my command. A well controlled drift so to speak. 20 years of rear wheel drive on snow covered winter roads will get one used to getting sideways. Its a blast. Also giving the fact that on a track, there usually isn't big sharp curbs. Definitely a lesson learned. As for the damage, I will do another thorough inspection before mounting new wheels and tires.

However, this was the first time ever it just "snapped" sideways like that on me with absolutely no warning. I mean literally, in a blink of an eye, I was sideways and out of control. Maybe hit a oil patch on the road or something? It seemed like after grabbing 2nd and continuing the roasting, it was when I got off the gas is when it jerked sideways. IDK...

I have watched countless Mustang and Cobra burnouts on Youtube were a straight line burnout gets thrown sideways unexpectedly and resulted in a crash. A few of them were of people leaving this Mustang Week festival, losing control and crashing into cars in oncoming traffic. While watching, its so easy to put blame on driver error. Now I'm not so sure. Well, its still driver error. Shouldn't of been burning out in the first place on public raods.

Anyway, placed order here on Sunday night around 6pm. Hope to have them by mid week. Originally I had in my shopping cart was Anthracite 10.5 and 315 Nitto 555R's. Total was $695ish. Wife freaking hardcore. Then went with the same wheels, but the Sumitomo HTR Z's. Chose the package deal. Dropping price to $560. Still freaking. Then seen the Hypercoated on sale for $79.99 each. So trying to save as much as possible (and make wife happy), I went that route. After including my MF promo code (Thank you AMChrisYoung) got me down to $441. I'd say not bad.

Read every review on the Sumitomo. Biggest concern was they were not very sticky. These tires need to last me and seemed like the Nittos, although better for traction, didn't have the longevity I'm after. I'm going back to driving like grandma. All in all, 88 out of the 95 reviews said they recommend. Will throw out a thread once I get them painted and mounted.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Just be REAL happy that the Police did not get involved! That brings in a total new level of hurt into the situation.........

Quick Reply: Man, I feel like a fool/idiot...