4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Picked up a 1999 GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 05:36 PM
munch
DO NOT TRUST THIS MEMBER - http://mustangforums.com/forum/forum-issues-and-feedback/723187-fraud-user-name-munch.html

Default Picked up a 1999 GT

Just bought a 1999 GT from my uncle who decided to get a new Charger, the dealer only offered him 3k in trade for it so I offered him 3500 which he took.
Car runs strong and has no know problems.
It has has 75k miles, mods he told me it had-accufab throttle body,steeda underdrive pulleys, and it came with a sct tuner everything else is stock.

I'm thinking maybe a cat back trying to decide between magpacks or LM1.
What else would be good for this car considering the mileage and its age? maybe gears?

Thoughts appreciated

pic enclosed

Old 03-05-2012, 06:20 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Congrats! Nice ride. Exhaust is a good start..gears are a good way to go as well.But, it all really depends on what you want out of the car.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:30 PM
munch
DO NOT TRUST THIS MEMBER - http://mustangforums.com/forum/forum-issues-and-feedback/723187-fraud-user-name-munch.html

Yea I don't wanna go overboard with mods, just looking to maybe pep it up alil bit.

Feels so slow compared to my 12 GT lol
Old 03-05-2012, 07:14 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Man, what a steal. Looks real nice with them blacked out wheels.

Never been a big fan of LM1 exhaust. Just a little bit to hollow sounding for my tastes. I got the Borla Stingers on mine with a Magnaflow O/R X midpipe. IMO, it sounds good. I wont lie, its loud, but if you keep your foot out of it, you can keep it on the quiet side. Nice deep sound. And its all stainless.

Mine has stock rear end gears. But from what I have read, it is "hands down" the best bang for the buck.

Although, first thing I would look at is the tires. Worn tires will make it ride like crap. And tires are not that cheap.

Anyway, whatever you decide to do, it appears you have a good starting platform to work with.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:51 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

^^^^Agreed! I have borla cat backs with a magnaflow Catted X. It sounds awesome and if you goose it its good for scaring little kids! I also have 4.10 gears and they really woke the car up. Hunt around and listen to some sound clips of exhaust on youtube and what not to find the sound you want, there's plenty out there. As for power, its gonna cost ya a good bit to get alot of extra ponies out if it if you stay N/A. The easiest way to get real power is from a power adder.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:06 PM
munch

From the clips I have heard I like the magnapacks, but the only clips I can find have X-pipes...how differant is the sound with stock hpipe
Old 03-06-2012, 01:31 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

2001.5+ intake manifold with the aluminum runner
Old 03-06-2012, 02:38 AM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by munch
From the clips I have heard I like the magnapacks, but the only clips I can find have X-pipes...how differant is the sound with stock hpipe
Do you have to test for emissions? If not, ditch them cats and go with a good O/R X or H pipe. The stock cats are pretty restrictive. If emissions are a problem, go with the hi-flow cats. Like night and day difference.

When I first got my car, my first mod was the Borla Stinger C/B with stock mid-pipe. It was alright and sounded pretty good. A little on the quiet side. And the mufflers on the Stingers are straight through and smaller than a 2 liter Pepsi bottle. Once I threw on the Magnaflow O/R X, it will wake the dead, if I want it to...lol

Its all going to boil down to "what are you after". Do you want it to sound a little better than the stock (just C/B)? Or do you want people hear you coming from a block away (complete)? Youtube is a good place to review different set ups, but the sound quality usually don't do the exhausts justice.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Gears (410's), exhuast, SFC's and maybe a STS (mgw). Also if you want to make it just as fast as your 2012 I would suggest the 1500 S/C build..Congrats on the ride my man!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:24 AM
munch

Thanks for the input guys
I went with the frpp 3.73 with trac lok rebuild and slp lm 1s for now
should have it all on sometime next week.

Quick Reply: Picked up a 1999 GT