4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

My Intercooler Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 02:39 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

talked to my tuner again and he said he still doesnt like blowthrough. says it causes driveability issues and that it was popularized by people who didnt know what they were doing.

can anyone give me insight into this matter?????
Old 03-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Lowandslow2v

How much HP/tq you planning to see?
Old 03-11-2012, 03:25 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

I know a guy in jersey who specializes in blowthru setups. I think problems might be caused when you use a meter thats not made for it. The hpx i believe is marketed often as a blow thru maf. I personally believe you shoudld have better results with a blow thru because your only metering what is going into the engine, where as in a draw thru, some of that metered air is going to get recirculated when you lift and the bypass opens.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:54 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

idk if it was your thread or the one i made earlier, but i remember reading that blow thru is easier to tune

^^^what shop are u talking about?
Old 03-11-2012, 04:01 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by bopiela
talked to my tuner again and he said he still doesnt like blowthrough. says it causes driveability issues and that it was popularized by people who didnt know what they were doing.

can anyone give me insight into this matter?????
You need a new tuner
Old 03-11-2012, 04:04 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

^WBGH thats what ive been thinking.... I don't get why he's so concerned. It's starting to concern me. With all the people on this forum, if I did something wrong - I'd hear about it instantly. And I think my pictures give a good enough idea of my work.......
Old 03-11-2012, 04:06 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

The tuner is kevin hand at wocked motorsports. Last time i heard he was also working out of sansone ford. He does pretty nice fab work and does all blow thru setups. From all i've talked to he is a top notch tuner. When i manage to get a blower on my car, theres a very good chance i will be making the trip up there to have him tune it.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:08 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

I agree, if hes that concerned it might be time to look for another tuner.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:54 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ddmsgtr1
I know a guy in jersey who specializes in blowthru setups. I think problems might be caused when you use a meter thats not made for it. The hpx i believe is marketed often as a blow thru maf. I personally believe you shoudld have better results with a blow thru because your only metering what is going into the engine, where as in a draw thru, some of that metered air is going to get recirculated when you lift and the bypass opens.
This^ You can not use a lightning MAF sensor for a blow thru setup, i went thru 2 of them on the dyno alone, it sucked the insides right out of the MAF idk y but it did. Now i have a pro m pmas.

And IMHO tuners try and stay away from blow thru because you cant tune them the same way as a draw thru setup. You have to change fuel and air completely different then when you are draw thru. I think if your tuner can tune both blow thru and draw thru it shows you that you have a tuner that actually can tune your car confidently and knows wht he is doing, IMHO blow thru is the better way to go thats just me tho
Old 03-11-2012, 05:24 PM
StangKid018
3rd Gear Member

Nice keep up the great work! I just finished my complete build today. :]

Quick Reply: My Intercooler Build Thread