4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Detroit Locker reviews ?!

Old 03-16-2012, 10:33 PM
rastarocket
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up Detroit Locker reviews ?!

I plan on putting in a Detroit Locker diff in my car. I dont feel like dealing with clutch packs anymore. What are some opinions on that unit. and while im in there im gonna slap in 3.73 gears too!

This is the one I plan to get:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTL-187C147A/
Old 03-16-2012, 11:02 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

28 spline FTL
Old 03-17-2012, 08:59 AM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

I very well could be off-base here, but why would anybody put a locker in a mustang, unless maybe for drag racing?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:39 AM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Which unit you want could have a lot to do with what you plan to do with the car.

I LOVE my Auburn Pro unit. It is TIGHT and provides excellent lock up for drag usage. Since it is so tight, it will not differentiate quite as well in autox type situations(tight turns). This could be OK if you need more help getting the car to turn, but it could also be a hindrance to corner exit forward bite.

OP,
What are you planning to do with the car?
If drag racing with sticky tires is on the list, I would also suggest upgrading to 31 spline while you are doing all of this.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Running a locker will create drive-ability issues. Cornering will be a challenge, hard to get used to. Sometimes they engage with a "bang", that is nerve racking to say the least.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:34 AM
rastarocket
1st Gear Member

yeah, ive felt that "bang" before, my Old man is running a power trax locker in his car. I was thinking about the drive-ability issues, but I am deff not the kinda person heading to the Nurburg Ring. Mosty 1/4 mile, 1/8th mile stuff which is why i wanted a locker. Maybe are there other products out there that are a little more forgiving than a locker? i just gont like how sometimes one wheel will fire up first with the trac lok diff.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

How about the air-lock differential? It is an open diff by default, but you hit the switch when you want traction, it locks up like a spool. That just might solve all your issues.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:34 PM
rastarocket
1st Gear Member

I did some thinking, and what i came up with is that if i go ahead and put the locker in, i think im going to just go the whole 9 yards and get the rear end to the point where i wont have to touch it again for as long as i have the car. soo with that being said, while im in there, like wannabegearhead said, im gonna upgrade to the 31 spline axles, and change out all the bearings and seals too. also put in 3.73 gears. itl cost alot extra but it seams like the right thing to do. that way in the future if a supercharger finds its way on the motor, i know the rear end will be able to take it, and not blow up into bits and pieces the first time i hit it.

scratch that, Ive read tons of good things on the truetrac diff, it has no clutch packs so its maintainance free, ill still get to be able to light up both wheels, and it will be much easier to drive with out the clunking from a locker. good call ??

Last edited by rastarocket; 03-17-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:00 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

My Auburn Pro diff will NEVER leave you with just one wheel spinning!
It is a tight cone style diff that will absolutely give you the locking you want, but will drive good on the street. You can hear one tire slipping over the surface in parking lots if it is wet or sandy to reduce the traction.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:14 PM
rastarocket
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
My Auburn Pro diff will NEVER leave you with just one wheel spinning!
It is a tight cone style diff that will absolutely give you the locking you want, but will drive good on the street. You can hear one tire slipping over the surface in parking lots if it is wet or sandy to reduce the traction.
is it a clutchless diff though??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Detroit Locker reviews ?!