4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Possible future 96 GT owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 11:39 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Mustangs are easy to work on.

As for gas mileage, don't buy something with a V8 for the MPGs... I drove my Mustang to Philly and home and then drove around some back roads throughout the rest of the weekend. With my 4.10s, I got almost 25mpg and I was by no means babying it. I maintained 75mph on the highway to Philly and back. Leaving Philly I cruised with one of the coolest dudes I've ever met - a middle aged guy with a V10 R8 convertible.

Mustangs are a nice breath of fresh air from the Honda/Nissan/import scene. People from all "scenes" seem to respect them and appreciate a clean Mustang. Even the dude with a V10 Audi said he liked my ~260hp GT lol.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:20 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

The 4.6 is a very reliable engine and should last over 200k if taken care properly. Also I average 24-26 mpg on the highway.

I think one of the best things the mustang has going for it is the HUGE after market.There are dozens of vendors and hundreds of brands to buy from. Also it is an american icon, like apple pie or baseball.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Shredder505
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
Mustangs are easy to work on.

As for gas mileage, don't buy something with a V8 for the MPGs... I drove my Mustang to Philly and home and then drove around some back roads throughout the rest of the weekend. With my 4.10s, I got almost 25mpg and I was by no means babying it. I maintained 75mph on the highway to Philly and back. Leaving Philly I cruised with one of the coolest dudes I've ever met - a middle aged guy with a V10 R8 convertible.

Mustangs are a nice breath of fresh air from the Honda/Nissan/import scene. People from all "scenes" seem to respect them and appreciate a clean Mustang. Even the dude with a V10 Audi said he liked my ~260hp GT lol.
I've seen that dude runnin round philly a lot, respects the hell out of the mustangs, prob one of the coolest dudes to cruise with for sure
Old 03-26-2012, 08:23 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by revikan
I may be getting a 96 gt tomorrow. For the most part I've been an import guy, but Im looking at getting a mustang tomorrow. I like imports because of the good mpg and how easy they are to work on. The mustang I'm looking at is a 96, with 160k ish miles. It looks pretty clean, the guy says its a solid car. Its stock besides exhaust and a clutch.

I was wondering how reliable are these cars? How easy are they to work on? I've had a few foxbody's but I didnt really keep them long. I didnt like the feel of an older car. I know the 96-98 really lacked HP, but I'm not really looking for a powerhouse. Would just like something that sounds nice, rwd, and is fun to drive. I know honda, nissans, and subarus like the back of my hand, but I am hesitant to get into a mustang. Really because I'm not familiar with them, and would like to know what kind of MPG everyone is getting.

I am really looking for someone to just persuade me, or just let me know more about sn95's and how they are as daily drivers. Thanks
I have done the imports and the muscle and I prefer the muscle. Keep in mind that I had the upper tier imports, RX8, 300ZX, WRX, etc. The NPI is low on power, but it feels fairly quick. The MPG's are going to be mid 20's. 160K is nothing on these cars and they are way easier to work on than your average import. If you get a manual transmission, prepare your left leg because it will be clutch-zilla compared to an import. And you WILL get the mod bug, before too long you will be inquiring about a 4V, or PI swap, have 3.73 gears and exhaust on it.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:43 PM
revikan

Well I ended up getting it. I like it so far, the body is nice except for a dent in the fender. Im sure red fenders are easy to find so Im going to start looking. Interior is MINT, I am kinda dissapointed on power wise but I knew this before I got it. It definitely feels a tad slower then my old civic but overall its just a nicer car.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:19 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Congrats on the new car!

Get some gears, lower the car, and a blower. It'll fix the slow feeling.
Pics of both cars?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:31 PM
revikan

Heres the mustang:

Old 03-28-2012, 01:29 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Nice. Reminds me of my old 96. Is it an auto or a stick?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:50 AM
revikan

Originally Posted by JC316
Nice. Reminds me of my old 96. Is it an auto or a stick?
stick, ill never own an auto!!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by revikan
stick, ill never own an auto!!
Don't hate!

Quick Reply: Possible future 96 GT owner