4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

04 mustang gt broken crank bolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 11:33 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Xx04StangGTxX
Okay see but they sent me a course threaded bolt when my stock bolt is a fine thread??? Idk I really just think they screwed me on this and they don't want to take the blame...
Show us some photos, and/or take some measurements of the bolt they sent--if its wrong and can be documented as incorrect then there is implied liability.

That is what small claims court is all about; and in small claims court, with a well presented case, most often the plaintiff (you) wins.

If the installation bolt is of the incorrect pitch, then lying back and letting Steeda say it isn't their fault will just get you screwed.

Post a photo of what's left of the installation bolt and there's a 99.44% chance I can tell just by looking at it whether it is the correct pitch. The shift **** is a M12 x 1.75, an M12 x 1.50 is an "in-your-face" finer pitch than the 1.75 mm...

Last edited by cliffyk; 03-26-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 AM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Every modular 4.6L & 5.4L engine 2V, 3V, and 4V from 1993-2010 use the same exact crank bolt. What commonly happens with these installs is either the bolt is bottomed out causing it to snap, it is cross threaded during initial install, or the crankshaft itself already had thread damage from previous work. As these cars get up in miles, stock balancers get replaced, engines may be rebuilt, there is a ton of possibilities as to why this happens, but the fact that Ford has only used one crank bolt throughout the entire modular engine line makes it a bit difficult for us to put the wrong bolt on the kit, as we only inventory one bolt specifically for that kit that is not shared with any other component.

Here is an example of a bolt that was bottomed out by the installer, thankfully it did not snap off as they sometimes can if you try to keep torquing it down, which can damage the crankshaft as well.

Here is an example of the bolt we provide next to the factory crank bolt, you can see it is a perfect thread match.

If you think you have the wrong bolt, then by all means please send us pictures. Even in this thread you don’t have any pictures. Let’s actually see what you have going on.
Attached Thumbnails 04 mustang gt broken crank bolt-crank_bolt.jpg   04 mustang gt broken crank bolt-crank_bolts.jpg  
Old 03-27-2012, 09:12 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

there is no way Steeda sent you the wrong bolt. I think the OP needs to not blame someone else for something he did wrong. If Steeda dealt with GM/Chrysler and other OEM's I could see a mistake but they deal with Ford so I doubt there are UDP's for other OEM's to get mixed up with an order
Old 03-27-2012, 09:18 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Yup, there do not seem to be any photos forthcoming so the issue is over for me too...
Old 03-28-2012, 12:08 AM
Xx04StangGTxX

Well how do I post the pics so I can prove to you all?? Y'all might think I'm the idiot here and "Brandon" I know what I'm doing not an idiot here. Email me and I will send the pics adolfo20.s@hotmail.com
Old 03-28-2012, 08:54 AM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Well how do I post the pics so I can prove to you all?? Y'all might think I'm the idiot here and "Brandon" I know what I'm doing not an idiot here. Email me and I will send the pics adolfo20.s@hotmail.com
I haven't seen anyone calling you an idiot here. We are genuinely concerned about your issue, but we need some sort of photos or something so we can see what is going on.

I have emailed you at the email address you listed: adolfo20.s@hotmail.com
Old 03-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aschroeger
Easiest way would be to create a photobucket account, upload the images there and then link them in the body of the message.
cough
Old 03-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Xx04StangGTxX

Well I emailed them to you guy
Old 03-28-2012, 10:55 AM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Well I emailed them to you guy
We received your photos.

That is the correct bolt.

As I said before:
Every modular 4.6L & 5.4L engine 2V, 3V, and 4V from 1993-2010 use the same exact crank bolt. What commonly happens with these installs is either the bolt is bottomed out causing it to snap, it is cross threaded during initial install, or the crankshaft itself already had thread damage from previous work. As these cars get up in miles, stock balancers get replaced, engines may be rebuilt, there are a ton of possibilities as to why this happens, but the fact that Ford has only used one crank bolt throughout the entire modular engine line makes it a bit difficult for us to put the wrong bolt on the kit, as we only inventory one bolt specifically for that kit that is not shared with any other component.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:02 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Looks like user error to me.

Quick Reply: 04 mustang gt broken crank bolt