4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

really want to get a gt

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:05 PM
thricepudding

Default really want to get a gt

hello mustang owners! so i really want to get a mustang gt im thinkin probably within the next 6 months so i can save a little more money. i think the most im willing to spend is about 12k and want the 8 cylinder. im just wonderin how much everyone got theirs for with what mileage and if it was in good condition (pic would be cool) i'm 22 and the only car i've bought was my brother's 97 bonneville when i was 16 so i havn't had experience car shopping - i'm very hesitant going into it but i really like these cars
Old 03-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Bigry18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by thricepudding
hello mustang owners! so i really want to get a mustang gt im thinkin probably within the next 6 months so i can save a little more money. i think the most im willing to spend is about 12k and want the 8 cylinder. im just wonderin how much everyone got theirs for with what mileage and if it was in good condition (pic would be cool) i'm 22 and the only car i've bought was my brother's 97 bonneville when i was 16 so i havn't had experience car shopping - i'm very hesitant going into it but i really like these cars
I bought my 2000 gt for 4100 with 97k miles orignal owner. Car had a few little minor things when i bought it like brakes and pads. But for 12k should get you a preety nice car. You could even get a mach one with that amount of money tbh. Just search awhile until you find a nice car.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:29 PM
spivey3

12k will get you quite a bit in this market. Do research until your eyes water and you'll be very excited with what you find.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:31 PM
thricepudding

thanks for the reply. i didnt realize the GTs were THAT cheap. yea 12k is like the verryy max id want to spend - if i saw a car i just loved but the other things is that i want relatively low mileage on it too. do you think itd be worth it to get the mach 1?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:39 PM
thricepudding

theres just so much to take into consideration my mind is racing! lol
Old 03-26-2012, 11:35 PM
Bigry18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by thricepudding
theres just so much to take into consideration my mind is racing! lol
Yeah man its really fun. Just take you're time and find what you want.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:41 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Hey, welcome to the forum.

Now granted this was 4 years ago, I bought my 2003 (1 owner) with 28,000 miles. It was on the lot for 12k. I talked them down 1k and put a 1k down payment. Out the door for 10k.

My advice for the first time car buyer. Listen closely. DO NOT get sold/fall in love with the first one you see/test drive. It is real easy to do. These Mustangs are a dime a dozen. Avoid getting one that is all modded out. Its a blast modding them when its your car, but a traded in modded Mustang could mean "beat to hell".

Just keep looking, test driving, and ALWAYS request a CARFAX report. This will insure a wreck free vehicle, tell of how many owners, and the ride quality will show how it was treated. Don't be afraid to crawl under car and look for major signs rust.

I literally test drove 15-20 Mustangs before I found my current baby. I could tell by the underneath (completely rust free) it spent its life in a garage with no harsh Chicago winters. They are out there. Just be patient and let your future Mustang come to you.

With a budget of 12k, you will be able to get a nice, low mile, rust free Mustang. The Mach 1's are real nice, but you will pay a little more being its a Mach 1 and the book value is higher than a GT.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Shredder505
2nd Gear Member

picked mine up for $9300 with 86xxx miles on it, granted it had almost everything done to the motor but some sort of F/I and heads and was in showroom condition
Old 03-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

I bought mine in Jan 2012 for under $9000.00 with 58k miles. Convertible too, but automatic.

Don't be afraid to look nationwide. Mine was 2 hours away luckily, but I was close to pulling the trigger on one in GA.

My advice to you is this: Don't fall in love with the first one you see. Be judgmental. Look it over carefully. If the car you're looking at isn't exactly what you want or what you want to pay, then don't. You'll regret buying something out of desire. Take your time, find what you want and be happy.

Here is a pic of mine

Last edited by Shampue; 03-27-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: I spel gud
Old 03-27-2012, 11:05 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

For 12k you can get a nice supercharged 96-01 cobra