4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Agent 47 Brake Cooling Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 11:17 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Default Agent 47 Brake Cooling Kit

Just wondering everyone's take and/or experience with:

http://www.blacktoprebels.com/events...nt.eventId=555

I am currently looking into it but wonder just how well it works. Any imput would be wonderful guys.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

http://www.agentfortyseven.com/SN95/...kecooling.html

No experience with it but have always read/heard good things about them, and had great experiences talking with their racing team/engineers at FFF.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:29 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I think it's pretty silly.

At any speed where ducted air directed at one face of the rotor would accomplish anything there is already plenty of ambient temperature air circulating around and through the rotor (the vanes in the core behave as a centrifugal fan).

Also, if their device did offering any significant cooling its only being applied to one face of the rotor would not be good as it would tend, again if the device really offered anything, to warp the rotor.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:09 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Na... it won't warp the rotor (maybe if one went though a HUGE puddle and water came shooting through that tube after a bit of cooking da brakes ) I am with you though, that on street brakes, they are gonna be about useless. On full-on race brakes, sure..... but you don't have those and no use for them on the street.

Jazzer
Old 03-31-2012, 07:55 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

When I ran brake ducts on my old Roush, I plugged the front for street use. On street, you actually want your brakes to pick up some temp so they work best.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:18 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Na... it won't warp the rotor (maybe if one went though a HUGE puddle and water came shooting through that tube after a bit of cooking da brakes ) I am with you though, that on street brakes, they are gonna be about useless. On full-on race brakes, sure..... but you don't have those and no use for them on the street.

Jazzer
I agree it cannot warp the rotor, that's why I qualified my statement with "if their device did offering any significant cooling..." which of course it does not--sure does look "trick" though.

There is no way that contraption could possible move enough air, relative to the normal circulation and that being pumped through the rotor's vanes, to have any significant additional cooling effect.

The "huge puddle" prognostication baffles me too? The rotors will get wet when you drive through that huge puddle with or without this silly device.

Maybe if they were this hot:

Old 03-31-2012, 09:23 AM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Would take RAPID heating (like photo above) and RAPID cooling to do anything foul to the rotors. Like braking from 170 to a stop and falling into a lake.

Want better performing brakes? Buy some better pads. did wonders for my car.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:34 AM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

A waste of money IMHO.

You need to flow a pretty significant amount of air forced into the center of your brake rotors so that it flows out thru the interior vanes to do any good. You would be far better off to invest that money towards good linings, fluid, and SS lines if you are lacking any of those.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:53 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Thanks guys for your responses. Pretty good info that I was unaware of. And Sorry for the delay jazzer I didn't have a chance to get on here sooner. Hope your not mad I really appreciate all the advice thus far.