4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

2003 Intercooler install

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Nathan Wyman

Default 2003 Intercooler install

I bought a 2003 mustang with a v1 supercharger on it, it has fully forged internals and was built right. With it I got a cx racing intercooler kit that wasn't installed, I'm looking to install it, but there are no instructions in the box, any one have any pics or instructions of the install? I have a BOV that I am going to put on it, I also need to get a high flow mass airflow to match. Right now I am running 8 lbs of boost, but after I get the intercooler installed I will be getting a smaller pulley to step it up to about 16 psi. Any input on which mafia I should buy, and does that go pre or post supercharger/intercooler? New to the power adder world and any help is greatly appreciated.
On a side note: Does anybody know of anyone that does chassis dyno tuning in Maine? I have a diablosport predator...
Old 04-26-2012, 11:09 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

The cx racing intercooler is a universal kit, most people on here run them including myself when i put mine on, so youre going to have to cut and fit the pipes yourself. If your going to be running a bov then youre going to have to mount the maf in a straight piece of pipe after the intercooler, im sure lizzy or justin will come in here and show you where they mounted theirs. As for the maf youre going to want to get a slot style maf, my tuner told me to go an sct ba5000 with the vmp 75mm housing, so i would find the shop youre going to take it to and see what they have to say because I know some people also run the vmp housing with an 05+ hpx(?) maf. Your tuner can definitely guide you to what to buy
Old 04-26-2012, 11:31 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

What BOV do you have? Are you gonna run it blow thru or draw thru? What size cooler is it? DON'T USE A MAFIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Nathan Wyman

Thanks for the quick response, I gotta find a good resource for my tuning and information. I'm good with a carb and all of my friends are, but taking the dive into efi and handheld tuning is kind of overwhelming to me haha. Being in Maine my resources are limited though...
Old 04-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Nathan Wyman

The BOV is one I have laying around, actually off of a CX racing universal turbo kit. The intercooler is 31x12x3, I think it is a specific fit intercooler kit as it fits perfectly, but I could be wrong....Draw through or blow through is still up in the air, being my first power adder I'm not sure of the benefits either way, and what do you recommend for a MAF?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:49 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

well if youre using a bov then its gotta be a blow thru since you would be venting metered air with a draw thru. If you used a bypass valve then you could stay draw thru
Old 04-26-2012, 11:50 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Since it's only a 3" cooler I would stick with draw thru since the cooler wont support over 550hp efficiently. SCT BA5000 MAF would be fine for only 16psi.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Nathan Wyman

What are the differences between blow through and draw through? I mean besides the obvious...
Old 04-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Nathan Wyman

My goal is around 600 flywheel hp, by the end. I have 380 proven rwhp right now at 5500 rpms with the maf pegging out. In addition to the the intercooler and smaller pulley I plan on getting a set of shorty headers as the previous owner did high flow cats, x pipe, and flowmasters but kept the restrictive exhaust manifolds. Is this a reasonable goal and whats the best/easiest way to get there?
Old 04-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

Ive seen dyno graphs where people actually lost power going to shorty headers on a s/c engine. Either go with long tube headers or keep the stock manifolds.

To make your goal, youll want to get the 4" intercooler. Also, to make it easier on the engine, look into methanol injection. Itll cool down your air temps more and boost your octane, preventing detonation and give you the ability to run more timing. You may also need to get a different head unit, but youll be very close atleast with those things.

Quick Reply: 2003 Intercooler install